Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

What Do Guys Consider When Choosing Between Departments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWCCandidate
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron228 View Post

I know several people that have left one department to go to another. Yeah maybe once is the most that someone should be doing that. But the "restarting a pension" Ummmm, no. At least in my neck of the woods almost all departments are on all in the same pension system, you're not restarting anything. Your time from one transfers to another. You can even buy pension time for time spent in the military or for time worked for another agency that is from a different pension system. Again, more reasons to not be picky.
    If you happen to only look at departments using the same state pension system. When looking at departments, I look at everywhere from Maine to Florida, with a few other states (like Indy).

Leave a comment:

• Boize208
    replied
    Originally posted by JSJJ388 View Post

Maybe thats crap where youre at, but around here thats a nice paycheck. If I could land a job making 50k, Id be tikckled pink! You can live and retire nicely on that.

I guess some would say Im being picky, but Im not willing to move for a job. Not even a fire job. So Im limited to only departments within an hour of me. but I have a good job and have the time to wait for a good fit for me.
    Just depends where you look. Some places, 50k is pretty good living. Other places, like SoCal or northern Virginia, 50k isn't good at all.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron228
    replied
    Originally posted by PWCCandidate View Post

Yes, crap pay. I'm not talking about crap pay in the beginning, since that's a given, but I mean bad pay steps, and low maxes. Sure, you can keep department jumping...if you want to restart your pension years of service.

Are you implying that people shouldn't consider salary for their department choice? Firefighters like to pay bills and enjoy retirement, too.
    I know several people that have left one department to go to another. Yeah maybe once is the most that someone should be doing that. But the "restarting a pension" Ummmm, no. At least in my neck of the woods almost all departments are on all in the same pension system, you're not restarting anything. Your time from one transfers to another. You can even buy pension time for time spent in the military or for time worked for another agency that is from a different pension system. Again, more reasons to not be picky.

Leave a comment:

• JSJJ388
    replied

It's decent, yeah. But I don't want to be just not strapped for cash. Why accept less pay for the same job?
    Youre still not listening. Find a dept that pays what you like and move on.

Leave a comment:

• PWCCandidate
    replied

I know exactly what it means. Youre not hearing me. Around here, thats decent pay. No, you wont be driving a Ferrari, but you wont be strapped for cash either.
    It's decent, yeah. But I don't want to be just not strapped for cash. Why accept less pay for the same job?

Leave a comment:

• JSJJ388
    replied

No, 50k cap. Meaning, the very end of the pay scale. Stuck in 40s most of your career.
    I know exactly what it means. Youre not hearing me. Around here, thats decent pay. No, you wont be driving a Ferrari, but you wont be strapped for cash either.

Leave a comment:

• PWCCandidate
    replied

Maybe thats crap where youre at, but around here thats a nice paycheck. If I could land a job making 50k, Id be tikckled pink! You can live and retire nicely on that.

I guess some would say Im being picky, but Im not willing to move for a job. Not even a fire job. So Im limited to only departments within an hour of me. but I have a good job and have the time to wait for a good fit for me.
    No, 50k cap. Meaning, the very end of the pay scale. Stuck in 40s most of your career.

Leave a comment:

• JSJJ388
    replied
    Now, you CAN retire with that, but it won't be comfortable. I just don't think firefighters should be exempt from wanting good pay. The good news is, plenty of departments DO pay well. Why would I NOT want to get paid more for the same job?

Leave a comment:

• PWCCandidate
    replied
    Now, you CAN retire with that, but it won't be comfortable. I just don't think firefighters should be exempt from wanting good pay. The good news is, plenty of departments DO pay well. Why would I NOT want to get paid more for the same job?

Leave a comment:

• PWCCandidate
    replied
    Originally posted by Hopeful_fireman View Post
    Crap pay to work 8-10 days a month, receive pension/retirement, have benefits, receive great training, ride in rigs that every little boy wants to be in and every guy/gal that?s testing with you would drop what theyre doing to accept that job. I can?t say it enough how difficult these jobs are to get. Look at these forums and how many people tested for 15-25 positions, that come around once a year. Take what you can get, gain experience and training and use that however you want, but being that stringent when it comes to these jobs will cut your chances down considerably.
    I get what you're saying, but this is your job for 20-30 years or more. If you cap out at 54k, doesn't really lead to a great retirement.

Leave a comment:

• Hopeful_fireman
    replied
    Crap pay to work 8-10 days a month, receive pension/retirement, have benefits, receive great training, ride in rigs that every little boy wants to be in and every guy/gal that?s testing with you would drop what theyre doing to accept that job. I can?t say it enough how difficult these jobs are to get. Look at these forums and how many people tested for 15-25 positions, that come around once a year. Take what you can get, gain experience and training and use that however you want, but being that stringent when it comes to these jobs will cut your chances down considerably.

Leave a comment:

• PWCCandidate
    replied

I get being picky for things like having to fly to apply, maybe someone only wants to live in a certain state or region, I get that. But crap pay, come on man, I know a handful of people that got their start on a crap paying department, used their time wisely and end up getting hired onto a better paying department. It is a lot easier to get a new fire job if you already have a fire job compared to just being picky. Heck, look at all the people that VOLUNTEER for free before they get a job somewhere.
    Yes, crap pay. I'm not talking about crap pay in the beginning, since that's a given, but I mean bad pay steps, and low maxes. Sure, you can keep department jumping...if you want to restart your pension years of service.

Are you implying that people shouldn't consider salary for their department choice? Firefighters like to pay bills and enjoy retirement, too.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron228
    replied

Plenty of things could break it. Crap pay, terrible benefits, little room for advancement, terrible schedule.
    I get being picky for things like having to fly to apply, maybe someone only wants to live in a certain state or region, I get that. But crap pay, come on man, I know a handful of people that got their start on a crap paying department, used their time wisely and end up getting hired onto a better paying department. It is a lot easier to get a new fire job if you already have a fire job compared to just being picky. Heck, look at all the people that VOLUNTEER for free before they get a job somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• PWCCandidate
    replied

Maybe I am lucky, but where I am at, every career department around here meets safety standards, pays well and treats their people well. So I'm not sure what standard you are looking for. What sort of standard would make or break a choice for you?

Part of it is this Millennial thing, gotta have the best job ever or it won't work.
    Plenty of things could break it. Crap pay, terrible benefits, little room for advancement, terrible schedule.

Leave a comment:

• somebuffyguy
    replied
    I think it really depends on OP's intention before we make any sort of judgement. If he isn't on a department yet and is being picky about applying to places locally, yes he is being foolish. However there are people spending thousands of dollars on plane tickets and taking time off work just to apply to some departments. If he's in that group, then yes he should be picky. Nobody can afford to make 2 or 3 plane trips every time a department is hiring.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X