Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Employment question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment question

Hello everyone,
    I want to be a firefighter but theres something thats worrying me a bit. I recently graduated from my EMT-Basic class, and I loved it. I loved the rides with the paramedics and the clinicals. The thing thats bothering me is that I was baker acted (similar to 5150 hold)as a teenager for depression/suicidal ideation. This was when I was 18 years old, Im now 24. Im completely past the issue and havent seen a psychiatrist or been on meds in over 5 years. I have a great job, but I want to make this career switch because I really do love this field.I just want a bit more insight Before I start Medic school, because its a huge commitment in my area, not a night class like EMT.
    Last edited by AspiringFire24; 10-29-2018, 05:11 PM.

Departmental background checks are limited in scope and cannot ask about medical conditions per the Americans with Disabilities Act and GINA. Unless your 51/50 was court ordered or had an accompanying criminal charg it will not be a factor. You will still have to pass a psych test pre-employment that will screen you and attempt to get you to crack. With that being said, work on your mental fitness now as you would your physical fitness. This is not a line of work that is forgiving to those who let everything topple their self-esteem or ability to cope. If you can?t handle the work, it may be time to explore other options. Sorry to be blunt, but the reality is that you will have lives in your hands and are expected to perform your best even on your worst day. Go to medic school, pass, be proficient with your KSAs, and apply everywhere. If it?s meant to be it?ll happen.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. No it was not court ordered and I have no criminal record whatsoever. It is not a complete non issue. I loved the work I did on the rides and I know I will be a good firefighter. I just hope they can look at this and see that it was when I was a dumb teenager.

Comment

Normally the question is not asked,

Except as is there anything that you know that will keep you from doing the job

So nothing that you have to report or explain

Go for it and see what happens

Comment

Thanks for your reply! I?m going all in, gonna become a FF/Paramedic. I know I can do this job, just hope they give me a shot!

Comment

Best chance if they ask is to lie. That's the honest truth.

Comment

Originally posted by PWCCandidate View Post
              Best chance if they ask is to lie. That's the honest truth.
              That seems so shady though. I can only imagine them finding out and eliminating me from the process for lying or firing me later down the line. That would suck.

Comment

Originally posted by AspiringFire24 View Post

That seems so shady though. I can only imagine them finding out and eliminating me from the process for lying or firing me later down the line. That would suck.
                And that's completely true. But I can't see them taking someone that was Baker'd. Maybe they would, who knows. I just know quite a few firefighters and military members that lied about SOMETHING to get in when they otherwise wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by PWCCandidate View Post

And that's completely true. But I can't see them taking someone that was Baker'd. Maybe they would, who knows. I just know quite a few firefighters and military members that lied about SOMETHING to get in when they otherwise wouldn't.
                  I can see where you are coming from. I also have no criminal record, perfect credit, own a house, and I have a great driving record ( one ticket from when I was 17 years old.) maybe they look past that.

Comment

You do not have to lie,

You do not have to report medical conditions, unless asked, or if it will not let you do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
                      You do not have to lie,

You do not have to report medical conditions, unless asked, or if it will not let you do the job.
                      I?m just going to answer every question truthfully and not volunteer any information. I will also apply everywhere and just try my best. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90