Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

NJ Civil Service 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ Civil Service 2018

Future NJ firefighters,

The New Jersey CSC Fire Service Status Report for May 2018 states a tentative date for the next firefighter announcement of July 1st, 2018. The exam is projected to be administered in fall 2018.

http://www.nj.gov/csc/about/news/saf...th%20edits.pdf
    Last edited by NJwrestler55; 05-19-2018, 07:22 PM.

Out of state FF looking to get hired in Jersey. Am I eligble to even take the state civil service exam? Anyone that does the chiefs test hire out of state applicants? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 8truckie3 View Post
      Out of state FF looking to get hired in Jersey. Am I eligble to even take the state civil service exam? Anyone that does the chiefs test hire out of state applicants? Thanks!
      I'm not entirely sure if out of state is eligible. Check out the NJ CSC website http://www.state.nj.us/csc/seekers/ . I am also interested to know which towns in NJ hire by chief's test or separate from the CSC. If anyone could let us know that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by 8truckie3 View Post
        As far as the CSC jurisdictions are concerned, you must be NJ resident. Most jurisdictions hire off the CSC list anyways, so if you wanna be a NJ FF, then move to the state. Also, the big cities like Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, ect.. require city residency for employment.

Comment

Originally posted by NJwrestler55 View Post

I'm not entirely sure if out of state is eligible. Check out the NJ CSC website http://www.state.nj.us/csc/seekers/ . I am also interested to know which towns in NJ hire by chief's test or separate from the CSC. If anyone could let us know that would be great.
          most jurisdictions are CSC.. there are few chiefs towns but off the top of my head there is montclair, cherry hill, englwood. I wouldnt go down the cheifs test route tho. theyre shady, plus youll be working for a small jurisdictions that barely ever see work.

Comment

I'm finally tired of waiting for 7 years now for my little 112 employee fire department to get around to me because I'm not a vet and didn't score 100. Which wouldn't matter anyway because all of the new recruits were hired by practices of nepotism.

ANYWAY, planning a move to Newark for the sole purpose of this next test and staying at a friend's house. Everything is under her name obviously. What does Newark look for when certifying as far as residency? Is this move even worth it?

Thanks guys
            Last edited by EstablishingCommand; 06-12-2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EstablishingCommand View Post
              I'm finally tired of waiting for 7 years now for my little 112 employee fire department to get around to me because I'm not a vet and didn't score 100. Which wouldn't matter anyway because all of the new recruits were hired by practices of nepotism.

ANYWAY, planning a move to Newark for the sole purpose of this next test and staying at a friend's house. Everything is under her name obviously. What does Newark look for when certifying as far as residency? Is this move even worth it?

Thanks guys
              That's just the way it is. I am considered a veteran federally, but not in the eyes of the NJCSC. Don't expect too many people to claim veterans preference this time around as nobody is really going to Iraq or Afghanistan like they were to qualify. There is a new bill that will fix this for veterans that deployed and received a GWOT, but it isn't expected to hit the polls by the time the list is established. I think the best course of action is to get an address in a big city up north and study hard.

Comment

Originally posted by NJwrestler55 View Post

That's just the way it is. I am considered a veteran federally, but not in the eyes of the NJCSC. Don't expect too many people to claim veterans preference this time around as nobody is really going to Iraq or Afghanistan like they were to qualify. There is a new bill that will fix this for veterans that deployed and received a GWOT, but it isn't expected to hit the polls by the time the list is established. I think the best course of action is to get an address in a big city up north and study hard.
                What do you mean vets who deployed and received a GWOT? Either you deployed to a combat zone or you didn?t. You don?t deserve veterans preference if you weren?t in a combat zone. Not sure why people are complaining about something that has been law for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by tanman17 View Post

What do you mean vets who deployed and received a GWOT? Either you deployed to a combat zone or you didn?t. You don?t deserve veterans preference if you weren?t in a combat zone. Not sure why people are complaining about something that has been law for decades.
                  I'm not a Vet... this is personal opinion... The way the law is written is total BS... should be modeled after the Feds!!! All vets deserve veterans preference... just cause one guy got sent to a combat zone and another didn't (not by choice but by orders) means one served his country "greater" NO WAY!!! All deserve 10 bonus points like the Feds... the way NJ gives exclusive preference is wrong... if a non vet scores a perfect 100 and a vet scores 70 (barely passing) the vet shouldn't just jump... sure give all the Vets, combat and non combat a bonus full 10 points, like the Feds do and like the majority of states I've seen do...

Just cause something has been "law" or "thats the way we've always done things" is a poor poor excuse in the real world and especially the fire service... no reason someone can't share their opinion and hopefully do something else to effect positive change... Everyone has a right to their own opinion and to also disagree with this!

Comment

Originally posted by doc13mets View Post

I'm not a Vet... this is personal opinion... The way the law is written is total BS... should be modeled after the Feds!!! All vets deserve veterans preference... just cause one guy got sent to a combat zone and another didn't (not by choice but by orders) means one served his country "greater" NO WAY!!! All deserve 10 bonus points like the Feds... the way NJ gives exclusive preference is wrong... if a non vet scores a perfect 100 and a vet scores 70 (barely passing) the vet shouldn't just jump... sure give all the Vets, combat and non combat a bonus full 10 points, like the Feds do and like the majority of states I've seen do...

Just cause something has been "law" or "thats the way we've always done things" is a poor poor excuse in the real world and especially the fire service... no reason someone can't share their opinion and hopefully do something else to effect positive change... Everyone has a right to their own opinion and to also disagree with this!
                    I 100% agree with your last paragraph. And I agree there shouldn?t be absolute preference for vets. I have been saying that since before I was a vet and still believe it today.

however, there is absolutely a difference between veterans who served in a combat zone and those who?ve didn?t. (Also a huge difference between those who actually left the wire and those who didn?t, but that?s an entirely different conversation). We have been at war for about 17 years. If someone wanted to deploy to a combat zone, it wasn?t really hard. Pick an MOS that deploys.

I respect anyone who serves, but to act like all service is equal is ridiculous. Someone spending one weekend a month drinking and ?training? is not the same service as someone patrolling the mountains of Afghanistan. What does a non deployed paper pusher or reservist bring to the fire service that deserves equal preference as someone whose actually deployed and done their job?

Comment

I 100% agree with your last paragraph. And I agree there shouldn?t be absolute preference for vets. I have been saying that since before I was a vet and still believe it today.

however, there is absolutely a difference between veterans who served in a combat zone and those who?ve didn?t. (Also a huge difference between those who actually left the wire and those who didn?t, but that?s an entirely different conversation). We have been at war for about 17 years. If someone wanted to deploy to a combat zone, it wasn?t really hard. Pick an MOS that deploys.

I respect anyone who serves, but to act like all service is equal is ridiculous. Someone spending one weekend a month drinking and ?training? is not the same service as someone patrolling the mountains of Afghanistan. What does a non deployed paper pusher or reservist bring to the fire service that deserves equal preference as someone whose actually deployed and done their job?
                      You've served your country period... it's not like people were refusing orders not to go... and I know for a fact some of the reserves you speak of especially from NJ because they didn't have that many deployments were denied going to another state to deploy with them.

Federally and pretty much every state treats their Vets the same, why is NJ the exclusive one?

Comment

Then they should have joined active duty if they wanted to deploy. The opportunities were easily there and they chose not to take them. Its that simple. I respect their service but it?s not the same.

This was put in place to help the men (and now women) who went off to war get a job when they came home. Yes, they served their country. Yes, many are great at their jobs. No, their service is not the same as those who went to war and saw combat. Sorry, I have no sympathy for someone who stayed with their family, stayed in college, worked a full time job, etc., and then didn?t deploy... While other guys are away for their entire enlistment and on top of that go to war. You think those are equal?

People need to stop being little babies about everything. Veterans preference is a benefit, not a guarantee. And I have never heard a non-deployed veteran complain about this, though maybe they won?t do it in front of combat vets because they know they will be shut down.

I will give you this though.. I have no problem if we went to a system of 10 points for combat veterans and 5 for non combat vets. But veterans who actually deployed should benefit more from the preference than those who didn?t.

Comment

Then they should have joined active duty if they wanted to deploy. The opportunities were easily there and they chose not to take them. Its that simple. I respect their service but it?s not the same.

This was put in place to help the men (and now women) who went off to war get a job when they came home. Yes, they served their country. Yes, many are great at their jobs. No, their service is not the same as those who went to war and saw combat. Sorry, I have no sympathy for someone who stayed with their family, stayed in college, worked a full time job, etc., and then didn?t deploy... While other guys are away for their entire enlistment and on top of that go to war. You think those are equal?

People need to stop being little babies about everything. Veterans preference is a benefit, not a guarantee. And I have never heard a non-deployed veteran complain about this, though maybe they won?t do it in front of combat vets because they know they will be shut down.

I will give you this though.. I have no problem if we went to a system of 10 points for combat veterans and 5 for non combat vets. But veterans who actually deployed should benefit more from the preference than those who didn?t.
                          Check out this article

"Veterans groups have long advocated in favor of so-called ?vet is a vet? legislation to extend the Civil Service preference and other veterans benefits to those who served during the Cold War and so-called peacetime. But most of those measures have stalled."

apparently Veterans groups agree with me... I do feel better now lol...

But apparently there is some changes potentially in the future...

Currently, only veterans who served during designated wartime service periods are eligible for the hiring preference.

Comment

Originally posted by doc13mets View Post

Check out this article

"Veterans groups have long advocated in favor of so-called ?vet is a vet? legislation to extend the Civil Service preference and other veterans benefits to those who served during the Cold War and so-called peacetime. But most of those measures have stalled."

apparently Veterans groups agree with me... I do feel better now lol...

But apparently there is some changes potentially in the future...
                            ?Under the measure, veterans who served or were injured in war times would continue to receive preference over other veterans.?

So this is exactly what I said in my last paragraph and have been saying all along. The service is not equal and those who deployed to combat zones deserve more of a preference. I?m personally against the absolute preference that vets get, but if they keep that, I definitely don?t think non deployed vets should get that too. Give them added points, but we should always separate the deployed vs non deployed.

Comment

Here we go again with the never ending veteran talk. Can we just keep this to important updates for the upcoming test and things that pertain to the job? My goodness. Who even cares if you?re a veteran nowadays. Be worried about nepotism. That's the real competition.
                              Last edited by EstablishingCommand; 06-18-2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X