No announcement yet.

Do Old Guys Have a Chance to Get Hired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Old Guys Have a Chance to Get Hired?

Hi all, I am getting ready to take the test June 12th in Toledo. You have to be less than 35 years old the day of the test. I will be about 3 months from my 35th birthday on that day. Does this hurt my chances, or is it a non factor. Also, how many people are usually taking these tests, do they go by test score to select new recruits, will the fact I live 50 miles away hurt my chances? Does the fact I have no fire/safety work history hurt my chances...etc.

Thanks.

Shouldnt make any difference pal.In fact you are at an advantage in someways.Most departments want life experience equally as much as anything else.Also, I am around that age( bit less) and I can with some degree of confidence say that I can smoke physically, most people 10 yrs my junior.Its all about staying in condition, strong and mentally ready.I think your chances are as good as anyone elses.You didnt say if you have your medic, but Im guessing No.Thats probably your only disadvantage.Although alot of departments still seriously will consider you without it.Good luck.
    Also, I dont consider myself "old", its all about your attitude.I have over 9 yrs total fire service experience including military service.Be positive and stay in shape, you may have to work harder than the next guy/gal to achieve that level of conditioning but it can still be done.Look at Mr P90X?...
    Last edited by jeeves1; 05-13-2011, 05:34 PM. Reason: no reason

Comment

I'm 33 and I start in Aug. I am not the oldest guy in my recruit class. Only some dept's have age restrictions, MANY do not. Best person for the job...

Hiring protocols ("the process") and experience requirements will vary between departments from none all the way to already a firefighter/medic.
      Last edited by egrus21; 05-13-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Your age won't be a problem at all. I just got hired at 31, and it seems most all of the people who got hired with me are around my age. Last year one of my friends got hired at 45, another at 39. If they want you, shouldn't matter.

Comment

If there are no requirements to apply except a high school diploma, and today's economy , you may be looking in the thousands Of people testing

Where you live should not matter unless the city has a policy

Working Normaly 24 on 48 off gives you plenty drive time some Firefighters live in other states and work for a city inanother state

Some depts want a blank slate to indoctrinate

Are you sure you do not have to be hired by the time you are 35 or is it as long as you do not turn 36 before you get hired?????
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Thanks for the replies Fellas. The statement says no experience needed, and that you must not be 35 on the day of the test. I read that to mean I should be good on the age.

Comment

Hi trekker!
              Well, put it this way- My husband was 40 when he got hired by Tucson Fire. So no, you are not too old! If anything, you have more life experience than people years younger and that will help when it comes time to interview.
              I'm also taking Toledo's test (33year old lol). I took it back in 2001 and there was maybe 1,200 people taking it. I came in 210 on the list, and had no fire or ems experience at the time. Just study, study, study! Also practice spelling. If you have any more questions let me know!
              Good luck!

Nan

Comment

Originally posted by brownsquirrel View Post
                Hi trekker!
                Well, put it this way- My husband was 40 when he got hired by Tucson Fire. So no, you are not too old! If anything, you have more life experience than people years younger and that will help when it comes time to interview.
                I'm also taking Toledo's test (33year old lol). I took it back in 2001 and there was maybe 1,200 people taking it. I came in 210 on the list, and had no fire or ems experience at the time. Just study, study, study! Also practice spelling. If you have any more questions let me know!
                Good luck!

Nan

Thanks for the reply. I am really in the dark as what to expect, but am looking forward to the test. Was there much math on the test last time? I am very strong in math and spelling. I expect to lack somewhat in areas related to actual firefighting, atleast compared to those who actually have some fire/emt experience or schooling. This is kind of new turf for me as I have been at the same comfortable job since high school, and have had exactly one job interview in the last 16 years. That was for a railroad job that I was actually offered, but the great recession hit before I was to report for training, and they actually started laying off before I was to start.

I had limited experience with the city of Toledo until March of 2010. My son was born 11 weeks early and spent 35 days at St. V's. We spent alot of time up there, and every 2 days or so I would jump in the Jeep (Toledo built) and take a spin around town to kill some time and relieve some stress. The city has that gritty, knock-around feel you find in most Great lake metro's. Strong people just trying to catch some luck. My kind of people.

Sorry to bore you with the background.

Good luck on the test. Hope you get it.

Comment

Holy ****... 35???

Did you apply for social security, gramps?
                  I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

I certainly hope so, I'm 38 and looking! Most of the departments in NYS do not have a maximum age so I got that going for me. Of course, most NYS departments are not hiring. :-/

Originally posted by trekker View Post
                    Was there much math on the test last time? I am very strong in math and spelling. I expect to lack somewhat in areas related to actual firefighting, atleast compared to those who actually have some fire/emt experience or schooling.
                    I took the NYS test in March and it wasn't too difficult. There wasn't any complicated math and there were very few fire related questions. Certainly nothing that would require previous fire/ems training, more of the common sense variety. There were more physics (mechanical reasoning) and judgement/reading comprehension questions than straight up math questions.

Comment

I don't think there is any math if it's the same test format as in 2001. There are 3 parts of the test. The first is based on that booklet we got. They don't use all of the passages, maybe about half so some of the stuff you will never be tested on.
                      The second is where they read a passage to you about a firefighting-related topic. You must take notes and then can use them to answer the test questions, so practice listening and taking notes.
                      Third is spelling and grammar.
                      You don't need any fire/ems experience, just memorize what's in the book. I know it seems kind of overwhelming but just keep reading it over and over.
                      I was born there and lived just over the state line for 25 years. I love the area, it's really made a comeback. There's a really great zoo, minor leauge baseball team. hockey team, tons of good restaurants...
                      On test day (I'm in room c) don't let the number of people there discourage you. Just focus on the test and you'll do fine!
                      If you have any more questions let me know. I also have a friend who just got on the department so if I don't know something, he should. Take care!

Nan

Comment

It is dependent on the city or county which you desire to be hired. Some does have an upper age limit to be hired, since they have a retirement age too.

Let's say you are 30 and make 25, the minimum to retire, to 30 years with one of these departments that have a 60 year old age retirement. This gives you the time in service to get full benefits.

Coming on, let's say at 40 and retiring at 60 only gives you 20 creditable years and may reduce you pension and benefits.

Each City and or County in the United States are different.
                        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

You are not too old. I just completed the academy in Toledo. There were several people in our class that were 30+ and a couple that were 35-37. As long as you are not 35 before the test date you are ok.

Comment

So you went to the academy with Aaron? Cool I used to work with him at the newspaper.

Comment

Thanks for all the info folks.

Another question I have is how do they pick who gets interviewed. Do they just put you on a list with the highest exam score at #1 and the next 25 get invites, or will they interview 40-70 (or whatever number) and pick from that list?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X