Nursing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nursing??

Ok so I'm currently going through nursing school right now but very interested in the fire service. I'm trying to find out if my nursing will be a good background? Also what kind of hurdles do I need to do if I would want to be a medic if im already a RN? any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by ffvaldez View Post
    Ok so I'm currently going through nursing school right now but very interested in the fire service. I'm trying to find out if my nursing will be a good background? Also what kind of hurdles do I need to do if I would want to be a medic if im already a RN? any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Your nursing background will be great experience if you decide to pursue a career in the fire service. In most departments today nearly 80-95% of the calls that we run are medical related. As for obtaining your paramedic, you will want to research what the requirements in your area are for doing so. I can tell you here, that having your RN, you would still be required to obtain both your EMT-B as well as your EMT-P. On the flipside, medics here only have to take a one year bridge program to obtain there RN. Doesnt seem fair does it?!

Comment

Nursing would definitely help you. As was pointed out by the previous poster, the vast majority of our calls are EMS related. I agree with nurses having to complete EMT, even though they already have their RN license.
      Nursing school focuses on long term care while EMT and paramedic focus on short term emergency care.
      Paul Lepore
      Division Chief
      Aspiringfirefighters.com
      AspiringFireOfficers.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader