No announcement yet.

City of Chicago Paramedic List 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain how the cross-over process works? If a medic wants to cross, are their any minimum qualifications or other requirements? Does your fire test # factor in?

Comment

Originally posted by Hewartson47 View Post
      Can someone explain how the cross-over process works? If a medic wants to cross, are their any minimum qualifications or other requirements? Does your fire test # factor in?
      To the best of my understanding, how it's gone in the past (TRCO2H or someone else feel free to correct any of this) is first of all you obviously have to have taken the 2006 fire exam and be on the list. Once on the job as a medic, if you're on the 2006 list then you're put on the list of eligible crossover medics. That list is compiled by seniority. Where your number on the fire list will come in is if you and others who have equal seniority (i.e. you were hired in the same medic class, etc), you're then put in order on the crossover list based on your fire list number. So let's say 10 of your classmates are crossover eligible, you all have the same seniority because you got hired at the same time, but your number on the fire list is 12,000 and another guy is 5,000 and another is 6,000...on the crossover list the person with 5,000 will be ahead of the person who is 6,000 and they'll both be ahead of you and so on and so forth. Once your position on the crossover list is established, your fire number then goes out the window. I believe it's a minimum of 25% of each firefighter class has to be crossover medics, and sometimes there are even more, so they go through it pretty quick. As another poster in this thread said, he's been on as a medic for two years and there are only 35 people ahead of him on the crossover list.

Comment

Thanks for the information! Happen to know if the age limit come into play for crossovers?

Comment

Originally posted by Hewartson47 View Post
          Thanks for the information! Happen to know if the age limit come into play for crossovers?
          The maximum age of hire for FF be it from the eligibilty list or a crossover is 38. You must be younger than 38 on day 1 of the FF Academy.

To answer some other questions, each FF class must contain at least 10% crossovers. That 10% must be on the FF eligibility list, and they are selected by straight seniority as Paramedics. However, if you have a number on the FF list that will get you hired before your seniority will, you can crossover that way, and not effect the 10% requirement.
          Last edited by TRCO2H; 05-27-2011, 03:18 PM.

Comment

And thank you as well, TRCO2H.

Comment

Originally posted by TRCO2H View Post
              The maximum age of hire for FF be it from the eligibilty list or a crossover is 38. You must be younger than 38 on day 1 of the FF Academy.

To answer some other questions, each FF class must contain at least 10% crossovers. That 10% must be on the FF eligibility list, and they are selected by straight seniority as Paramedics. However, if you have a number on the FF list that will get you hired before your seniority will, you can crossover that way, and not effect the 10% requirement.
              Thanks for the clarifications. I knew it was 10%, not sure why I put 25%. Subconscious wishful thinking I guess! :P

Comment

So if you were not on the 2006 fire list then you can't crossover until you take the next fire test? Anyone know how long the process usually takes from time of offer until you have to have everything done? I have heard that they give you 30 days to get your PAT, medical, and residency done before you start.

Comment

Originally posted by LRFFPD View Post
                  So if you were not on the 2006 fire list then you can't crossover until you take the next fire test? Anyone know how long the process usually takes from time of offer until you have to have everything done? I have heard that they give you 30 days to get your PAT, medical, and residency done before you start.
                  Don't know about the processing time. I do know by the first day of the academy you have to be living in the city. As for the crossing over, if you didn't take the 2006 test you can't cross over until they have another test which won't likely be for another five years based on them having one on average every 10 years in the past.

Comment

I believe the percentage number got upped to 15 for crossover 20 for veterans. I put my name in on the medic list.

Comment

Thanks IceMan. How do the ridding assigments get handled? I've heard that you have to earn your way into ridding in the back, and that as the new guy you drive and do all the work pretty much.

Comment

Thanks IceMan. How do the ridding assigments get handled? I've heard that you have to earn your way into ridding in the back, and that as the new guy you drive and do all the work pretty much.
                        Not real sure about assignments are handled.

Anyone heard anything yet? I thought I read in the FAQ section that if you hadn't heard anything after a week to contact HR. Tomorrow's a week since the opening closed. Just wondering if anyone else heard anything at all.

Comment

I remember reading the same thing. I have yet to hear anything and I know my payment went through as well as my app got submitted successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by ILFFPM View Post
                            I believe the percentage number got upped to 15 for crossover 20 for veterans. I put my name in on the medic list.

the contract says 10% of each fire class must be cross-overs. not sure about the vets percentage, i know it was 10% and havent heard anything different.

Comment

once hired you are the single-role medic. on the ambo side (in the firehouse), there are single-role medics, paramedics-in-charge (pic) or ambulance commanders (ac). each ambo has one AC who is basically in charge of that ambo. he is on a shift with a single-role medic. the other three shifts have a single-role medic and a pic on each shift. the pic is in charge and usually does the computer/paper work, while the single-role medic drives and does alot of the patient care. pic is a promotion.

Comment

I remember reading the same thing. I have yet to hear anything and I know my payment went through as well as my app got submitted successfully.
                                I went back and re-read it and I was mistaken. The within one week thing was if you submitted your application and documents and did not get a confirmation within a week then contact HR.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X