• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what the PAT consists of?

Comment

Originally posted by rmnffmedic86 View Post
      Anyone know what the PAT consists of?
      I found this on youtube not sure if it's up to date or not...
      Here is the first half - http://youtu.be/GfPHH78ZLQQ
      And the rest - http://youtu.be/Ei2BDo-Gl7o

I think I'd love to work in the Southwest side because I love running non-stop and don't mess around at the hospital. Is the only way you can cross over if you have taken the 2006 fire exam? Or is there another way?

Comment

Just outta curiosity, obviously there's a PAT to get into the academy, but do they PT the medic candidates? Obviously I know they do the Fire guys, just wondering about medic.

Comment

Originally posted by ATFDFF View Post
          Just outta curiosity, obviously there's a PAT to get into the academy, but do they PT the medic candidates? Obviously I know they do the Fire guys, just wondering about medic.
          From what I have read it is the exact same academy as the FF canidates go through. I would assume there would be more on being a medic in the city, but who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by LRFFPD View Post
            From what I have read it is the exact same academy as the FF canidates go through. I would assume there would be more on being a medic in the city, but who knows!
            I don't think I'm getting what you are saying. It may be in the same building, but it certainly is NOT the same academy! The FF candidates go through a 6 (roughly) month academy, 3 months being EMT-Basic and 3 months being Firefighter II. The Medic academy is about 2-3 months........and they are not cross trained as FFs.

Comment

Originally posted by ATFDFF View Post
              I don't think I'm getting what you are saying. It may be in the same building, but it certainly is NOT the same academy! The FF candidates go through a 6 (roughly) month academy, 3 months being EMT-Basic and 3 months being Firefighter II. The Medic academy is about 2-3 months........and they are not cross trained as FFs.
              Like I said I'm not stating fact, I thought that's what I had read. Maybe Mac can chime in?

Comment

Last edited by medic02; 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Like I said I'm not stating fact, I thought that's what I had read. Maybe Mac can chime in?
                  I am a dual certified Chicago FF/EMT-B, and you are right, all the EMS training takes place in the same building. The Paramedic Academy consists basically of refresher training on Paramedic skills, and preparing for the Chicago Region XI EMS System Entry exam. The Paramedic Academy, like the FF/EMT Academy, is very PHYSICAL TRAINING ORIENTED, so it is in your best interest to come to the Academy in shape. I would say most if not all wash outs from this program were from injuries related to, or individuals deciding that they could not keep up with, physical training.

Comment

Right now I am a paramedic in Ohio interested in applying. My question is what is the reciprocity process for there? Also, what else do I need to do as far as being out of state?

Comment

Originally posted by doubled8206 View Post
                      Right now I am a paramedic in Ohio interested in applying. My question is what is the reciprocity process for there? Also, what else do I need to do as far as being out of state?
                      You can go to the IDPH website and look up reciprocity and all the details are there. It's just a matter of sending in an application with a copy of your cert and another form and then they'll send you your Illinois card. Time's an issue for you. CFD list is only open until June 1st.

On another note, has anyone heard any rumors at all about how many have gotten on the list so far? I know in the past it's generally 400-500. Wondering (and hoping) it stays at that number this time around.
                      Last edited by Iceman26; 05-24-2011, 03:32 PM.

Comment

It took about 2-3 weeks to process my reciprocity. Luckily, I didn't have to pay any kind of fee. I filled out the application, showed them my registry, showed them my continuing education hours. And viola, got my IDPH Paramedic!

I wish they provided more info about how many they are anticipating to hire, etc..

Comment

I've heard(rumor) that they go through a large number of people on the list. I imagine there has to be thousands of people on that list, seeing as all you have to do is have a DL, Medic license, and be willing to move to the city. Anyone know the process after the list closes on June 1st? Do we pretty much not hear anything else until they offer you a job? Or do you find out where you are on the list/lottery?

Comment

I've heard(rumor) that they go through a large number of people on the list. I imagine there has to be thousands of people on that list, seeing as all you have to do is have a DL, Medic license, and be willing to move to the city. Anyone know the process after the list closes on June 1st? Do we pretty much not hear anything else until they offer you a job? Or do you find out where you are on the list/lottery?
                            In the past the paramedic list has had 400-500, never thousands. There could be more this time around with the economy being what it is but there definitely won't be thousands unless things change drastically from what they were in the past. They do go through a large number of people, either way. As for this process, within a week of the June 1st closing we are supposed to be notified if we qualified or not and if so I am pretty sure you'll get a list number just like they did with the firefighter list. Then depending where you on the list and how many they're looking to hire in a certain amount of time you'll get notified for further processing as they need it.

Comment

Really only 100s? I guess I figured this could be one of the easiest ways to get a really good job, and all I hear around the fd's around me is "did you apply for cfd?" Seems like everyone and their brother would. Then again, maybe I see it as a dream job, busy 24 hours, great department, great benefits, whereas others may see it opposite.

Comment

Really only 100s? I guess I figured this could be one of the easiest ways to get a really good job, and all I hear around the fd's around me is "did you apply for cfd?" Seems like everyone and their brother would. Then again, maybe I see it as a dream job, busy 24 hours, great department, great benefits, whereas others may see it opposite.
                                Many people, like you and I, see it as a dream job or at least a great job to have until we cross over to the dream job on the fire side, but as for as the medic side goes not everyone sees it that way. Moving to the city is a big commitment for a lot of people for numerous reasons, and some people don't want to pay their dues working on an ambulance only for a few years, let alone when they're likely to run 20 out of 24 hours in a shift or even more in some places. The EMS side alone isn't appealing to everyone, especially when you add all the factors into it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X