Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schmidthouse7
    replied
    I agree bigger is not always better it's individual taste. I worked fire for a village of 5,000 a city of 13,000 and EMS for a city of 500,000 and that large city is the one I enjoyed working for the most. I'm fortunate to not be guessing at the type of department I want to work for but know the kind I would be most comfortable with that is why I'm personally trying to advance to a large city. Beside promotional opportunities its about personal enjoyment and my level of comfort with the department.

Leave a comment:

• fire49
    replied
    Some think the bigger depts are better till they get there

Yes if you are looking for rank, a bigger dept is the way to go
    But than you are competing against alot more people, just like the hiring process

Medium size seems the way to go.

Just a matter of what you want.

That is the bad thing about fd, cannot transfer to other depts at higher ranks, normaly

Leave a comment:

• schmidthouse7
    replied
    I already work for a dept. (have for the last 2 years) but I don't have any promotional opportunities. I'm testing to move on to a "career department." But if you get a job with Arlington or Fort Worth how many guys really leave those departments when they get that kind of job. People leave the small departments (like I'm trying to do) so it baffles me that the big cities are nervous. But at future interviews I'll calm there fears more I guess.

Leave a comment:

• gtcaptain2
    replied
    Originally posted by fire49 View Post
    Schmidt

Suggest with tx cert and paramedic you apply in cities that require that

Less competition

As far as multiple testing, the question I have seen is if you have mulitple offers who will you go with. We have lost candidates to other depts because of this
    Good point about applying to other cities who already require you to have certs b4 testing...less applicants and they would grab you in a heartbeat. you would probably make more starting out too b/c of your certs.

Leave a comment:

• fire49
    replied
    Schmidt

Suggest with tx cert and paramedic you apply in cities that require that

Less competition

As far as multiple testing, the question I have seen is if you have mulitple offers who will you go with. We have lost candidates to other depts because of this

Leave a comment:

• schmidthouse7
    replied
    What a kick in the nards didn't even make the alternate list.

Leave a comment:

• gtcaptain2
    replied
    Hey schmidt, i commend you for venting and telling your story because it informs myself and others of the reality of this process. From what you have stated, i cant see why not 1 department will hire you especially with your experience and certifications. that just baffles me. well hey you have my respect and i just say keep at it!

Leave a comment:

• Brockrocks
    replied
    Much respesct Schmidt. I had no idea you had been at it so long. best of luck to you and it does put it in perspective for me. I cant really complain after only taking 3 tests so far. Again, Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• schmidthouse7
    replied
    I took Fort Worth and may be taking Plano. I hadn't planned on taking Garland. I'm already working for a department so I don't take every test anymore. I've been at this for over a decade and have probably taken at least 50 tests through the years in 3 different states. I've worked for 3 different cities and am really looking for that final career department were I can settle in and have potential for promotional opportunities a place where I fit and feel really satisfied. Being as I'm already over 30 my civil service window is narrowing. Also I think when I interview chiefs don't seem to like the fact that I take multiple tests. They come across to me like they want me to be only for their city which I can understand but its not as feasible in my situation. I don't have a decade of testing left and can work my other job and just test for a single city over and over. I've been working as a firefighter in TX 2 years I'm a paramedic have swift water, hazmat, and rope rescue certs. 10 plus years experience score in the tops on written test (got 100 my last 2 tests with AFD) dominate physicals (i'm 6'4" about 265lbs), I was under 2 minutes (time limit is 4 minutes) when I did Arlingtons physical through TCC that was almost 30 seconds better than the next closet guy. I don't say any of this to brag just the opposite I really can't do much better on these test and still can't get a job. I get interview feedback and no one ever tells me anything really wrong that I do just some of the other guys were a little better. I can't change who I am I don't come across in the interview like an excited 18yo looking for a job because I'm not. I'm a 31 yo man with a house, a wife, bills, and responsibilities. I'm look to give 20 to 30 years of hard work to a city and get a career from them. I'm not complaining just venting (don't pull out your violins). Also this is for you 20yo who've taken a couple test and have no certs or just finished fire academy and complain about not getting hired that's the reality of just trying to get the job. I know a guy zero experience just finished school took 2 test and got 2 offers that's also the reality. So I'm not sure if I'm taking Garlands (you just told me about so thank you). Also thank you to everyone for letting me vent a little which yes is kind of d-bag to do but I get my one day of it then I'm back at it grinding away cause this is the best job in the world and I wont stop testing until I'm working for the best. Just so everyone knows the best isn't always the biggest or the oldest but the one where you fit and are comfortable with the though of 20+ years there and I feel you'll know it when you're there.
    Last edited by schmidthouse7; 09-02-2011, 01:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gtcaptain2
    replied
    schmidthouse, what departments have you applied for this year? are you taking garland's test too?

Leave a comment:

• Gambit7
    replied
    Originally posted by FireFarrier View Post
    My buddy got his offer yesterday.
    Yeah, my friend just got his offer too.

Leave a comment:

• FireFarrier
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidthouse7 View Post
    I've heard from some guys that have allready gotten their calls not lookin to good for the schmidthouse. Staying positive though wont know for sure till the final list comes out. Last time I was at this point and the other guys got their calls it didn't work out for me though so its hard to be positive. You know it's not like it takes so long to contact a couple dozen guys especially us guys after interviews just waiting to hear something.
    My buddy got his offer yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• schmidthouse7
    replied
    I've heard from some guys that have allready gotten their calls not lookin to good for the schmidthouse. Staying positive though wont know for sure till the final list comes out. Last time I was at this point and the other guys got their calls it didn't work out for me though so its hard to be positive. You know it's not like it takes so long to contact a couple dozen guys especially us guys after interviews just waiting to hear something.

Leave a comment:

• schmidthouse7
    replied
    So final announcements should come out by the end of this week.

Leave a comment:

• schmidthouse7
    replied
    Anyone interview yet or is everyone scheduled Monday/Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X