No announcement yet.

Arlington, TX 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey schmidt, i commend you for venting and telling your story because it informs myself and others of the reality of this process. From what you have stated, i cant see why not 1 department will hire you especially with your experience and certifications. that just baffles me. well hey you have my respect and i just say keep at it!

Comment

What a kick in the nards didn't even make the alternate list.

Comment

Schmidt

Suggest with tx cert and paramedic you apply in cities that require that

Less competition

As far as multiple testing, the question I have seen is if you have mulitple offers who will you go with. We have lost candidates to other depts because of this
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
          Schmidt

Suggest with tx cert and paramedic you apply in cities that require that

Less competition

As far as multiple testing, the question I have seen is if you have mulitple offers who will you go with. We have lost candidates to other depts because of this
          Good point about applying to other cities who already require you to have certs b4 testing...less applicants and they would grab you in a heartbeat. you would probably make more starting out too b/c of your certs.

Comment

I already work for a dept. (have for the last 2 years) but I don't have any promotional opportunities. I'm testing to move on to a "career department." But if you get a job with Arlington or Fort Worth how many guys really leave those departments when they get that kind of job. People leave the small departments (like I'm trying to do) so it baffles me that the big cities are nervous. But at future interviews I'll calm there fears more I guess.

Comment

Some think the bigger depts are better till they get there

Yes if you are looking for rank, a bigger dept is the way to go
              But than you are competing against alot more people, just like the hiring process

Medium size seems the way to go.

Just a matter of what you want.

That is the bad thing about fd, cannot transfer to other depts at higher ranks, normaly
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

I agree bigger is not always better it's individual taste. I worked fire for a village of 5,000 a city of 13,000 and EMS for a city of 500,000 and that large city is the one I enjoyed working for the most. I'm fortunate to not be guessing at the type of department I want to work for but know the kind I would be most comfortable with that is why I'm personally trying to advance to a large city. Beside promotional opportunities its about personal enjoyment and my level of comfort with the department.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X