Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess not.

Comment

I am! Interested to see how this process goes.

Comment

It goes quickly.

Comment

Anyone know which EMT-Basic/Intermediate school they send people to?

Comment

Does anyone know if they're Chapter 143 Civil Service (Texas' state civil service law)?

If you're applying to a department in Texas and don't know what this is, you need to find out.

Comment

Do not know what 143 is but they do not have collective bargining rights as what I would call a true civil service city like San antonio
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Please summarize what Chapter 143 is to all of us who aren't in the know. Anyone know anything about their EMT B/I school? Or the rest of the process, like are the interviews ranked or pass fail? Any more info would be appreciated, I'm really excited about this process.

Comment

Originally posted by amtresidder View Post
                  Please summarize what Chapter 143 is to all of us who aren't in the know. Anyone know anything about their EMT B/I school? Or the rest of the process, like are the interviews ranked or pass fail? Any more info would be appreciated, I'm really excited about this process.
                  Chapter 143 of the Local Government Code is a state regulation pertaining to civil service specifically for police and fire. Everybody thinks unions and contracts = job security and fairness in a career FD. In Texas, the real teeth in is 143.

It's what says that you start at the bottom (no lateral transfer between departments), promotions are based on a competitive system (no good ol' boy promotions), determines who is eligible to promote and how the promotional system will work. If an officer is promoted, it gives the rules on how. All that incentive pay, educational pay, acting-up pay is governed by it.

Most of all it says you can't be fired except for 12 specific things (felonies, drinking on duty, other bad stuff). It says you can't be laid off, or be demoted except in extraordinary circumstances. It gives a process to appeal disciplinary actions.

Firefighters in a non-143 department are at the mercy of the Chief. I've worked for 2 departments in Texas and both had adopted 143. I wouldn't work for one that isn't. I'm not trying to dissuade anybody from trying to get a job somewhere, but it's definitely something to look at when applying. Probably more important than looking at the starting salary.

Sorry for the long post. I was just wondering about AFD because I haven't heard.

Comment

Arlington is not 143. 143 is definitely good for the above reasons. But a job is a job and if you can get hired by a city even if their not 143 that's a good thing. Usually only larger cities are 143 because of the extra cost of things because everything has to be run in a specific order. The one bonus of cities not being 143 is that there isn't the 5 point military bonus on the written test. The five points is a real game changer if you don't have it. I wish 143 would incorporate a bonus for working firefighters with 2+ years of experience on a full time paid department as this would be comparable to the thought process behind the military bonus pints.

Comment

I lean more libertarian, so I'm against anything that makes government employees a protected class, aka unions, contracts and stuff like this 143 thing. Public sector jobs should be no different than private sector, and those sorts of things just take away common sense. No laterals? What if you need to move, who wants to start at the bottom again? Few reasons to fire someone? Why? All that does is protect the screwups. The only job security you should have is that which you make for yourself through hard work, dedication, and good behavior. You should absolutely be at the mercy of your chief, he's your boss, thats how it works. The only thing I can say in favor of it would be vet points lol, cause I'm a vet, but there should be other preference, agreed, and it should be at the discretion of the department heads based on their needs, aka certified ff/medic/hazmat, what have you.

Comment

How'd everyone do on the test? Don't have to wait to long for results at least.

Comment

Felt really good about that one, I didn't think it was hard at all, or at least compared to other tests I've taken. Plenty of time to do it. Anyone know if the personality portion is part of your score, or if that is just pass/fail? Anyone know if the interviews are scored and weighted or if they are pass/fail?

Comment

Not sure how the test is graded run is pass/fail physical is pass/fail first interview is scored not sure about chfs..

Comment

I feel good about the test and looking forward to receiving the results in a couple of days. It looks to me that you are ranked right away according to your test results. Although the run and physical are both pass/fail I would imagine that the interview also reflects your ranking depending on how well you do.

good luck to all!

Comment

There's no ranking after the top 250 move on it doesn't matter what you scored on the test I believe last year the run was scheduled aphabetically.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X