Arlington, TX 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arlington, TX 2011

Arlington has announced their process for this year. It will be similar to last year in that they'll only be taking the first 2000 applicants and then moving the top 250 test takers on in the process. Last year I believe they got close to if not 2000 applicants. The registration period begins May 25th and runs through June 15th. Also 50 dollars to take the written plus TCC charges 30 bucks for the physical and it doesn't matter if you've already got a TCC physical cert you have to do it again. See Arlington website for detailed info:

http://www.arlingtontx.gov/fire/Recruitment.html

They are suppose to hire 20 this go around
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Since were talking rumors and numbers I heard maybe 2 classes.

Comment

sorry chief said up to 20:::

May 02--ARLINGTON -- If you've always dreamed of riding around on firetrucks putting out blazes and rescuing people in harm's way, the Arlington Fire Department just might give you the chance.

To help prepare for a coming wave of retirements, the department will soon open its application process to the public for the second straight year. Last year, a class of 15 trainees was selected from more than 1,900 applicants.

The department also created the position of recruiting lieutenant and promoted Nick Mundell to it in September.

Both moves are designed to help cast a wide net for applicants as the department prepares for a large number of potential retirements, Fire Chief Don Crowson said. Up to 20 trainees will be hired this year, he said.

"Literally half the department could retire right now," Crowson said, explaining that it is the result of a hiring boom in the 1980s. "To replace a large number of people, we need a large pool of quality applicants."

Opening the process to the public also helps attract Arlington residents who want to serve their community, Mundell said.

"They may want to get more invested," he said. "They grew up here; their family is here."

Casting a wide net

Until 2008, the department accepted applications only from certified firefighters. That year, it allowed certified EMTs and paramedics with no firefighting experience to apply. Those applicants attended the department's first fire academy in 20 years.

Like the trainees selected last year, those chosen this year will attend a three-month program leading to certification as EMT-intermediate. If they pass, they will become city employees and enter the 16-week fire academy. Trainees already certified as EMT-intermediate will report on the first day of the academy.

To spread the word, Mundell has visited area high schools and attended job fairs at Tarrant County College and the University of Texas at Arlington. Many students want a job in community service, he said.

Such applicants "provide a good shot of youth when they come to take the test," he said.

Similarly, Mundell has worked with the leader of a National Guard program in Fort Worth that helps returning troops find jobs that match their military background. Military values are similar to the Fire Department's, he said.

Crowson said the 15 firefighters hired last year have proved to be a stellar class.

"They have been very well-received by the department," he said. "We're excited to have them."

'Purpose and meaning'

This year's registration period runs May 25 to June 15. The first step of the process, a written test, takes place June 27. Those who score among the top 250 will continue with a physical fitness test in mid-July.

Applicants must be at least 19 and have a high school diploma or equivalent.

Complete information, including videos, will be posted in coming days at www.arlingtontx.gov/fire.

The process offers people a chance to fulfill what might be a lifelong dream, Crowson said.

"We have a job with purpose and meaning," he said. "And we want people who feel the same way."

Comment

I sitll find it suprising that they operate at the EMT-Intermediate level. What's the point? When most of the departments around you operate at the Paramedic level, and the majority of those provide fire based EMS, you would think a large city like Arlington would be interested in leading the pack. I'm just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by amtresidder View Post
            I sitll find it suprising that they operate at the EMT-Intermediate level. What's the point? When most of the departments around you operate at the Paramedic level, and the majority of those provide fire based EMS, you would think a large city like Arlington would be interested in leading the pack. I'm just curious.
            I believe Arlington has AMR do their EMS under the name Arlington EMS...

http://www.arlingtonems.com/

Comment

They have been contracting ambulance service for many years

Guess it saves on the budget

And went to I's maybe five years ago forgot the reason

Comment

Their test is up on firerecruit.com tryin' to get the word out. Maybe 2000 applicants this year.

Comment

bump cause another same link got started.

Comment

Hope everyone's ready it's a fast process once it gets going. There's not much waiting around to see if you move on. As far as tests go I would say it's one of the best organized for the amount of people they test probably because they set dates before hand and really try to stick to their schedule.

Comment

Application period begins 2morrow.

Comment

Just as a heads up if you do not have your EMT-I and you cannot afford three months of minimum wage with no benefits while you attend class you may want to not pay the application fee.

Comment

If u look at it that only pay the fee if you think u can do well enough on the test to be top 250 because that's all that will move on. And remember their only hiring like 20 so even if you move on your odds are under 10% at a job. Also if you're lucky enough to get hired but can't get through EMT-I then you'll be released prior to fire academy. Just sayin there's always tons of obstacles I can see how financially it might be very difficult but it is a great career in the end. Not that I'm tryin to convince anyone to take it I don't need the competition.

Comment

filled out my app. Had issue with drop down menu for app fee. I emailed will let everyone know when issue is resolved.

Comment

I didn't even see the drop down menu, where was it? I submitted mine no problem without it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X