FDNY EMT to FF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDNY EMT to FF

I had a handfull of questions regarding FDNY EMS figured this would be a good place to ask.
    1.I believe FDNY gave a EMS test about 6 months ago any idea when they may be giving another, because from what i understand they are no longer using the provisional list?
    2.If u get promoted from EMT to FF do u keep ur pay grade ie if you were at 3rd year EMT pay would you go to 3rd year FF pay?
    Thanks in advance

emt

You're correct, currently you can only be hired off of the civil service list, which is done once a year in january. your pay does not carry over, if you're a third year emt you still start at base firefighter pay when you get promoted. but your years do carry over, so you would have 17 years left til retirement.

Comment

what are the actual chances of getting promoted to ff ive heard they might not even let you

Comment

the promotion test is given the same time an open test is given. its the same exact test. i believe you need a year on to take the promotion test. the only time you would be held up is if you take their paramedic certification training. if you take their paramedic training you agree to work for them for three years.

Comment

Originally posted by 6019eligible View Post
          the promotion test is given the same time an open test is given. its the same exact test. i believe you need a year on to take the promotion test. the only time you would be held up is if you take their paramedic certification training. if you take their paramedic training you agree to work for them for three years.
          Theres no minimum amount of time; you just need civil service status and start your first day in ems, and you can sit for the promo. As for the in-house medic training/commitment, while the contract is written that way, Im not aware of anyone whos been held to it if they stayed with the dept. in some capacity.
          To Persist is to Conquer.

Comment

Originally posted by SkylinePCG View Post
            Theres no minimum amount of time; you just need civil service status and start your first day in ems, and you can sit for the promo. As for the in-house medic training/commitment, while the contract is written that way, Im not aware of anyone whos been held to it if they stayed with the dept. in some capacity.
            Might not be true for this test. Rumor from a few decent sources is that you must be in EMS a year to be eligible for the promotional.
            Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Is the age limit still 29 for EMT's to Firefighter crossovers?

Comment

Originally posted by SlightlyStoopid View Post
                Is the age limit still 29 for EMT's to Firefighter crossovers?
                I believe there is no age limit for crossovers.

Comment

Originally posted by bbell1977 View Post
                  I believe there is no age limit for crossovers.
                  Are you sure about that? I seem to remember there being the same age limit. If not a lot more people would be looking to go that route.
                  Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 04-27-2011, 02:38 PM.
                  Exam# 2000
                  List# 6,xxx
                  Score 98

Comment

same age limit

its the same age limit as the open exam

Comment

Same age limit.
                      The only way to get an extension currently is to have active duty military time, for up to six years.
                      I'm thinking also that there is the one year in FDEMS prior to being eligible to take the "promotional".

Comment

My understanding was that you must be civil-service EMT to be eligible to take the promotional exam, even if just 1 day, however to actually be promoted to firefighter off the promotional list you must have completed your probie period with EMS which was 1 year.

Comment

I am not sure. I asked a buddy on FDNY in Queens if there was an age limit going from EMT to FF on FDNY and he said their is only an age limit if you are not an emt/medic with FDNY. He tol me once on FDNY EMS you could be 50 and take the promotion to FF exam and get it if you are physically fit.

Comment

"Promotion to firefighter

FDNY members who are working as permanent civil service paramedics and EMTs have the opportunity to file the promotion to firefighter examination during the filing period. Those who pass both the written and physical portions of the exam, as well as the medical and psychological assessments, will be placed on a promotion list.

Members on the promotion to firefighter list are called before the general open-competitive list.

Qualification requirements may be found in the Notice of Examination and on the DCAS Web site under Archives-Open Competitive."

My guess as an outsider is if they required an age limit here they'd specify it but that's an assumption.

Comment

And it is found under the Notice of Examination.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X