Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FDNY exam/Naval DC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FDNY exam/Naval DC

    Hey everyone this is my first post. I'm a 19 y/o college student who grew up/lives in NYC and am looking to eventually join the FDNY. The next exam filing date is undetermined, which leaves me guessing that it will be a VERY long time before I even have the opportunity to get hired/considered. So, I was wondering if anyone would recommend I join the Navy after graduation and try becoming a Naval DC for experience/potential boost in the hiring process. Has anyone had a similar experience with a large city FD?

  • #2
    Go air force or go home



    Are you open to testing for other cities ????
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by fire49 View Post
      Go air force or go home



      Are you open to testing for other cities ????
      I actually heard AF is a better option for going into FF since you get land/ground exp. I'm open for testing in other big cities but it seems like they have strict residency rules. And living in NYC, it's nearly impossible to join an outskirts vol. dept. Also, nothing beats the action in NYC. I'm only 19 so I have time before I'm too old for consideration, it's just that the prospect of waiting that long is very frustrating.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mfo811 View Post
        Hey everyone this is my first post. I'm a 19 y/o college student who grew up/lives in NYC and am looking to eventually join the FDNY. The next exam filing date is undetermined, which leaves me guessing that it will be a VERY long time before I even have the opportunity to get hired/considered. So, I was wondering if anyone would recommend I join the Navy after graduation and try becoming a Naval DC for experience/potential boost in the hiring process. Has anyone had a similar experience with a large city FD?
        Almost everyone is not everyone on a ship goes throught shipboard firefighter training. They are the first responders. Can't wait until they are back in port to handle the job.

        I've been throught the training at NOB Norfolk. It isn't for the faint of heart.
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

        Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

        Comment


        • #5
          For many Departments (and FDNY is one of them) having previous Firefighting experience/credentials (military or not) has ZERO, and I repeat ZERO bearing, and will NOT gain you any kind of advantage. The only thing that the Military will do for you, and is QUITE an advantage, is gain you additional bonus points which will apply to your total score on the civil service exam.

          Now, if you want some Military firefighting experience, I suggest you go USAF.

          Navy Damage Controlman is not a bad rate, however you are not exclusively a firefighter. You will be spending an awful lot of time working on sewer pipes unclogging schit blocks, you will be welding, grinding, steamfitting, pipefitting, anything and everything but being "just a firefighter." Now granted you will receive a little more training above and beyong other ship's company rates.

          If there is any kind of other training in the Military you are interested in, go for that, even if it has nothing to do with Firefighting. You will still gain the additional vet's points with an honorable discharge. And those points, along with your IN CITY residency, will get you a HUGE advantage.

          One other thing- Enlist in the Military because you want to, not because you have to or want to in order to gain an advantage for the tests.
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
            For many Departments (and FDNY is one of them) having previous Firefighting experience/credentials (military or not) has ZERO, and I repeat ZERO bearing, and will NOT gain you any kind of advantage. The only thing that the Military will do for you, and is QUITE an advantage, is gain you additional bonus points which will apply to your total score on the civil service exam.

            Now, if you want some Military firefighting experience, I suggest you go USAF.

            Navy Damage Controlman is not a bad rate, however you are not exclusively a firefighter. You will be spending an awful lot of time working on sewer pipes unclogging schit blocks, you will be welding, grinding, steamfitting, pipefitting, anything and everything but being "just a firefighter." Now granted you will receive a little more training above and beyong other ship's company rates.

            If there is any kind of other training in the Military you are interested in, go for that, even if it has nothing to do with Firefighting. You will still gain the additional vet's points with an honorable discharge. And those points, along with your IN CITY residency, will get you a HUGE advantage.

            One other thing- Enlist in the Military because you want to, not because you have to or want to in order to gain an advantage for the tests.



            Yea I heard the AF would be a better option. And I've always been interested in military enlistment and serving my country, but it may just be because of the benefits it can possibly reap for me when reaching for my ultimate goal of the FDNY. Definitely something I'll need to think about.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mfo811 View Post
              Yea I heard the AF would be a better option. And I've always been interested in military enlistment and serving my country, but it may just be because of the benefits it can possibly reap for me when reaching for my ultimate goal of the FDNY. Definitely something I'll need to think about.
              There is nothing wrong with using the advantages of vets points, college, etc.....As long as your first priority is unselfishly serving your country.
              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

              Comment

              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

              Collapse

              Upper 300x250

              Collapse

              Taboola

              Collapse

              Leader

              Collapse
              Working...
              X