Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visiting a dept the day before you test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still debating the visit, just for the fact I do not want to be that guy. However I have been in contact with one of the Lt's who is helping out with the process, just curious if an email asking about a visit or is a phone call much better route to take?

Comment

Email may be better because you won't be putting him on the spot. I always check with my crew before I set stuff up. I would send an email, and follow up with a call a few days later if you don't get a reply.

I don't think you need to worry about being "That guy", you wouldn't be here asking about it if you were. We totally understand that people coming from out of town or state can't do as much or have the flexibility. In fact some departments will allow people from out of state to take the written, physical and oral interviews in just a few short days to accommodate the long, expensive traveling they have to do.
      Good Luck, Capt Rob
      www.myfireinterview.com

Comment

I say go for it. I recently tested at a department in Virginia and stopped into one of the stations the day before the test. I just walked up to the door and introduced myself and he was more than happy to answer any question I had. He also continued to give me an hour long tour of there station and the entire time he continued to thank me for coming in. He also told me I was the only person to come in and visit that entire week of testing.

As for me i'm a firefighter in NY and would have no problem with someone just dropping in for a visit. Isn't that part of our job to educate the public? I wish more people would come in and visit.

Comment

What dept in Virginia were you testing for?

Comment

There's nothing wrong with calling personnel and asking... I had to travel for a test once and a few weeks before my trip I called personnel and let them know I am looking to make the most of my trip and learn as much as possible while I am out there. They loved it and connected me up with a PIO aide who dialed me in... I visited three stations while I was there and got to visit their dispatch. Very very helpful for me. (Unfortunatley the economy had other ideas but that's how things go.)

Comment

I can tell you that in my neck of the woods you are scored down if you do not take the time to visit and learn about the department.
              Paul Lepore
              Division Chief
              Aspiringfirefighters.com
              AspiringFireOfficers.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help I travel tomorrow.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X