questions previous Drug use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lebryan22 View Post
    dinon03 As far as people saying that no Fire Dept. will hire you ..that is very un-true there are private fire depts that run there own physical test/aptitude test and questionnaires...your in GA... I was a firefighter in GA for 2.5 years until i moved to dc email me and ill give u some info..man let me tell u never give up on your dream no matter what anyone says [email protected]
    This "list" of private fire departments in Georgia should be interesting.

And since you revived this one, I will give my input. As someone who decided early on (middle school) that I wanted to be a firefighter, I have no sympathy for those that chose to make the wrong choices. There are plenty of us out there who made the right ones, and if by believing that these people should take priority over the ones who didn't makes me a square, then so be it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Since this got bumped, here's the problem with drug use, especially habitual drug use. Fire fighting is inherently dangerous. Now, yes, the vast majority of the danger is mitigated by proper PPE, training, and command decisions. Hence why most deaths in the fire service are now caused by health issues (especially cardiac problems) or traffic accidents. However, Boston, 2007 is a perfect example of hiring people who have a continued, and more importantly recent, history of drug use.

In 2007 a structure fire occurred after hours at a Chinese restaurant. Firefighters Payne and Cahill started an initial interior attack. What they did not know was that the fire had extended into the improperly cleaned ventilation system for the kitchen, which resulted in the ceiling collapsing on top of them, resulting in their deaths. Months later, and after mourning of the entire city (both of their funerals were given live coverage), the autopsy results were leaked. One had trace amounts of cocaine in his system and the other had at least twice the legal limit of alcohol (the actual lab results was 3 times, but about 0.7-0.8 could have been simple postmortem decay, hence at least 2 times the legal limit). Now, whether both having intoxicating agents in their systems changed the ultimate outcome, the result was a city turning from mourning and unqualified support for Boston Fire Department was the start of a lot of anger and mistrust.

In the unlikely, but real, possibility that you end up dying while fighting a fire, is your department going to run the risk that your autopsy is going to be less than flattering with the tox screen?

Comment

Edited

Edited
        Last edited by OuchThatHurts; 01-01-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Many places, drugs other than simple weed will be automatic disqualifiers. Some places they're more accepting of some drugs. Almost no places are are going to tolerate hard drugs like coke and heroin.

You do need to be honest about it. And if you do lie, you will be caught in the poly. End of story. The choice is yours.
          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Edited

Edited
            Last edited by OuchThatHurts; 01-01-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OuchThatHurts View Post
              By admitting to use of certain drugs, ill never even make it to a polygraph exam. This is the first time in my life that i actually think not telling the truth might be the correct move.

I have no choice but to admit to using cocaine. I only tried it once but it landed me in the hospital, something that they will surely see when they request access to my medical records.
              Ok. Everyone in the forum, raise your hand if you would actually want this lying drugie to be the one your life relies on. Or the one your families life relies on. Or the one you want cooking your dinner.

Anyone...

Anyone...

Bueler...

I guess not.

You screwed yourself. We don't want hard drug users. And we don't want liars.

Comment

Edited

Edited
                Last edited by OuchThatHurts; 01-01-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Wow i was expecting a little more maturity around these forums.
                  Says you who also says....
                  By admitting to use of certain drugs, ill never even make it to a polygraph exam. This is the first time in my life that i actually think not telling the truth might be the correct move.
                  A buddy of mine from medic school was dishonest about his drug use on his polygraph exam for a nearby county and he passed with no issues. This makes me think that the exams arent as accurate as we think.

I'll assume that most people here arent as coarse as you.
                  Haha. Let me know how that goes. Coming on this forum and asking a bunch of honest fireman how to lie in order to get a job due to your coke habit will probably not yield the desired result. I did give you a nice polite answer before you suggested continuing to lie.

Firefighting is an EXTREMELY competitive career. When a single job opens up anywhere in the country, there are hundreds to thousands of applicants. And of them, there will be hundreds of people equally as qualified as you that didn't bake their youth away on drugs and didn't look for ways to lie and cheat the system in order to get hired. Why prey-tell would they choose you over them? I'm sorry, but again, those life decisions you aren't proud of are your decisions and you have to face the consequences of LIFE DECISIONS for the rest of your LIFE.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X