Bates 2011 - results, interviews, etc..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pasha6568 View Post
    Thanks for the focused and accurate answer BFDCP.

btw, looks to me like the top 11 candidates for S.Kitsap were at least in the 90s. I'd sure like to figure out what the cutoff was, and how much better I have to do. My 88.66 did not get a letter. Did everybody out there in the 90s get a letter?

Also.... I see lots of guests on the forum.... but not a lot of comments..... . How long will guys like BFDCP contribute if no one else does?
    Bates sent the list with veteran points, so no, to answer your question. A 92 (w/o veteran pts) did not receive a letter (not yet anyway). I sent an email to S Kitsap asking and the cheif said there were people on the list with over a 100.

Comment

Bar is high, indeed.

Hey any letter receivers out there..... Please sound off. Give us something to shoot for.

Comment

South Kitsap invited 11 to oral board. Called the following day with results and moved 5 on to Chief's interview. Haven't heard from any other departments. I believe (Per conversation with Bates Admin) Bellingham plans to contact 30 after CPAT weekend which is 3rd week in May.

Comment

BC1979: Thanks for the info. So, were you one of the 11?
          Last edited by Pasha6568; 04-25-2011, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasha6568 View Post
            BC1979: Thanks for the info. So, were you one of the 11?
            And I am pretty sure that the top 11 for Kitsap all had veteran pts.

Comment

Not all of the 11 for S. Kitsap had veterans points. In fact one individual wasn't even above 88 on combined score...

Comment

Originally posted by BC1979 View Post
                Not all of the 11 for S. Kitsap had veterans points. In fact one individual wasn't even above 88 on combined score...
                BC: was he/she a medic?

Comment

We truely hope that the low scorer was not related to anyone in the department.

When a process goes undercover there are plenty of opportunities for mischief.

Civil Service rules as well as RCW and Federal Laws were designed to insure fairness to all candidates, and to eliminate cronyism, nepotism, bribery, discrimination and reverse discrimination (all of which have a long history in the Fire Service..... in spite of the professed levels of integrety and honesty that is espoused in every piece of literature they produce).

It is troubling that a tax-funded fire district does not make transparent the process for appointments.

Also troubling is the deception perpetrated on the test takers who paid a cumulative total of approximately $100,000 for testing and CPAT, when those test results would be disregarded by the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by BC1979 View Post
                    Really? I would assume the tester that had under an 88 on his combined score must have had vet pts or how would he/she have made it in the top 11? Thanks for the info. Do you know what the highest combined score was without vet pts? I'm assuming you had to be up there with a 92!
                    Last edited by lwright82; 04-25-2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Justice Department, I agree with you 100 percent.

Comment

this person was not a medic or vet or related to anyone. They also were not in the top 5.

Comment

Any word? Wishing you luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Justice Department View Post
                            We truely hope that the low scorer was not related to anyone in the department.

When a process goes undercover there are plenty of opportunities for mischief.

Civil Service rules as well as RCW and Federal Laws were designed to insure fairness to all candidates, and to eliminate cronyism, nepotism, bribery, discrimination and reverse discrimination (all of which have a long history in the Fire Service..... in spite of the professed levels of integrety and honesty that is espoused in every piece of literature they produce).

It is troubling that a tax-funded fire district does not make transparent the process for appointments.

Also troubling is the deception perpetrated on the test takers who paid a cumulative total of approximately $100,000 for testing and CPAT, when those test results would be disregarded by the agency.
                            Since you are referring to RCWs I would assume you are familiar with RCW Title 52, which governs fire districts. That particular RCW does not mandate that fire districts adopt civil service rules for hiring practices. Some fire districts do as a choice.

I would assume that the individual with a lower score may be a volunteer with that organization and therefore entitled to volunteer preference points that fire districts and some cities, have adopted as policy. In this case, I don't know that to be the situation, but I have seen it many times in Washington State.

Comment

There are reasons that taxpayers request transparency in government. One example:

STAMFORD, CT 2007 –

“….The Fire Commission initially denied the newspaper's request (for exam process information) but was forced to release them by the state Freedom of Information Commission……”

“….The Fire Commission made 15 appointments after it threw out its list of candidates next in line for jobs last winter. At the time, top scorers on the written exam questioned why applicants with lower scores were offered jobs or deemed next for openings - including the mayor's nephew, the fire chief's son and a fire commissioner's son…..”

“…Two of the four job offers were made to sons of Stamford Fire & Rescue firefighters. The mayor's nephew, Brien Malloy, Fire Chief Robert McGrath's son, Michael McGrath, and Fire Commissioner E. Gaynor Brennan's son, Christopher Brennan, were among the eight alternates….”

“….The last three candidates the commission selected had mediocre scores on the interview, with 4.5 to 4.7 out of 10. More than 40 applicants scored higher than Michael McGrath - son of Fire Chief Robert McGrath - Matthew Haine and Brian Teitelbaum on the interview…..”

“….The system works well, (Stamford Fire & Rescue Assistant Chief Peter) Brown said…..”

-----see full posts at: http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...light=stamford
                              http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...light=stamford

SPECIAL NOTE #1: The majority of Fire Departments in Washington State do post their appointment procedures on their web sites (usually under HR/Civil Service section of their web site). Some agencies that do not have Civil Service in their charter make the conscious decision to be transparent even though they are not bound to do so by their outdated charter. These Fire Districts are to be commended for fulfilling the highest standards of service to the community. Bremerton Fire Department is one of these transparent agencies.

SPECIAL NOTE #2: We recommend that the City of Bremerton conduct thorough due diligence on S.Kitsap Fire district to insure that there are no contingent liabilities in the opaque practices S.Kitsap has used in FF appointments. This recommendation is made to insure that City of Bremerton taxpayers are not faced with unwanted lawsuits after the contemplated amalgamation of S.Kitsap into BFD.
                              Last edited by Justice Department; 05-04-2011, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I called Seatac and King and neither have plans to hire this year. Bummer. Wonder if any of the depts that Bates advertised will actually hire off the March test.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X