Bates 2011 - results, interviews, etc..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChawkFan View Post
    Hopefully someone will hire off this list. Last time I went through this process South King held interviews with the hopes of passing a levy or bond and it didn't pass. At least I had a chance to practice my interview skills.

Combined 92.84
    Did you score that high the last time you took the test? That is crazy if you did and never got an interview.

Comment

Last edited by SEAEVO9; 04-06-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Has anyone received a letter from Bellingham???

Comment

Originally posted by NWBrother View Post
          Has anyone received a letter from Bellingham???
          No. Are they sending letters out?

Comment

Boo

I thought my 88.31% would get me a phone call... Nice job 90%+ers!

Comment

Anyone heard from any of the departments?

Comment

South Kitsap sent letters to 11 people for 3 immediate openings they have. Good luck if you are one of them

Comment

Originally posted by BFDCP View Post
                  South Kitsap sent letters to 11 people for 3 immediate openings they have. Good luck if you are one of them
                  Nice! When did S Kitsap send letters out? Do they add preference points before or after interview? Bellingham won't have the top 30 posted on their website until sometime in June, after the CPAT is completed.
                  Last edited by lwright82; 04-13-2011, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BC1979 View Post
                    Anybody know when veterans points are added; does it vary by dept? Anybody been through the Bates testing before? Curious about individual depts. and how they conduct oral boards (when, how many) I don't want to hound the administrative staff at Bates so I thought I'd try here first. Also, anybody know if the plan is Sept. 2011 academy?? I understand there is a lot of speculation here but any relative info would be great!

Combined 91.73
                    Bates adds the preference points to all with the exception of City of SeaTac. I also received an email from Bellingham and they said they add points AFTER the first interview.
                    Last edited by lwright82; 04-14-2011, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lwright82 View Post
                      Bates adds the preference points to all with the exception of City of SeaTac. I also received an email from Bellingham and they said they add points AFTER the first interview.
                      Bates advised me that it did not add Vet Pref points to the Bates test score, and scores were sent to the candidates and departments with no VP points added.

Vet Pref Credit (as it is now called) is handled by the fire departments or agencies that are doing the hiring, and each handle VP Credit a little differently.

GENERALLY, VP points are not added to a "component" of the competitive exam (the Bates test is a "component"). VP points are only added to the "final" exam score.

As most of us know, there are various methods that agencies use to further develop a list of potential candidates from this final exam score. There is the "Rule of 3", "Rule of 5", "Rule of List", "Banding", and also a "Pool of Candidates" from which hires can be selected regardless of ranking in any type of list.

The VP Credit helps a candidate get to the final "pool of candidates", but does not get him the job. In the case of the Bates test, FOR MOST AGENCIES, if a candidate did not get high raw score (which does not include VP points) he will not be invited to an oral board.
                      Last edited by Pasha6568; 04-14-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasha6568 View Post
                        Bates advised me that it did not add Vet Pref points to the Bates test score, and scores were sent to the candidates and departments with no VP points added.

Vet Pref Credit (as it is now called) is handled by the fire departments or agencies that are doing the hiring, and each handle VP Credit a little differently.

GENERALLY, VP points are not added to a "component" of the competitive exam (the Bates test is a "component"). VP points are only added to the "final" exam score.

As most of us know, there are various methods that agencies use to further develop a list of potential candidates from this final exam score. There is the "Rule of 3", "Rule of 5", "Banding", and also a "Final pool of candidates from which hires can be selected regardless of ranking". The VP Credit helps a candidate get to the final "pool of candidates", but does not get him the job. In the case of the Bates test, if a candidate did not get a score high enough he will not be invited to an oral board, regardless of his status as a veteran.
                        This is an email from Marilee at Bates that I received this morning:

I add the preference points to all with the exception of City of SeaTac they add the points.
                        Marilee

So, I emailed Bellingham and this is the response I got:
                        Thank you for your interest in the City of Bellingham. To answer your question, the veteran's preference points are added after the interview.
                        Last edited by lwright82; 04-14-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Hmmm.... Here is the response that I got from Marilee two days ago:

"We do not provide raking and veteran points are not added to the mailed scores."

She must have meant "mailed scores to the candidates". I guess I stand corrected. Thanks lwright. Very helpful to read these postings to clear up vague things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasha6568 View Post
                            Hmmm.... Here is the response that I got from Marilee two days ago:

"We do not provide raking and veteran points are not added to the mailed scores."

She must have meant "mailed scores to the candidates". I guess I stand corrected. Thanks lwright. Very helpful to read these postings to clear up vague things like this.
                            LOL! I think trying to figure out what exactly the process is would be a full time job in itself. I guess the 'wait and see' approach would be the best way to go. Tualatin F&R has a great website that answers every question imaginable. I wish Bates had something similar Very vague.

Comment

Bates' job is done after the written and CPAT. Like was stated earlier, each hiring agency performs the psych, medical, oral boards and probably does things a little differently. Most cities fall under civil service which means you get the rule of 3's and 5's and banding. Fire districts may not have those same guidelines and can pick and choose who they want out of a pool regardless of how they scored on the written. If you want to get answers, call the agencies and find out. Most HR departments are very helpful and will tell you what you want to know or you can find it on their websites. Asking the questions here is likely to get you a bunch of different responses with little in the way of accuracy.

Comment

Thanks for the focused and accurate answer BFDCP.

btw, looks to me like the top 11 candidates for S.Kitsap were at least in the 90s. I'd sure like to figure out what the cutoff was, and how much better I have to do. My 88.66 did not get a letter. Did everybody out there in the 90s get a letter?

Also.... I see lots of guests on the forum.... but not a lot of comments..... . How long will guys like BFDCP contribute if no one else does?
                                Last edited by Pasha6568; 04-18-2011, 09:11 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X