X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Originally posted by TL678 View Post
    It ****es me off when people on here say go to the military so you have a better chance of getting a fire job. I served my country with the intent of being a solider. Its enough pog's in the military trying to get out of deployments because they thought the military would give them jog training and allow them to complete college.
    My my my....Sounds like someone may be bitter about their Military experience. While I follow your train of thought about persons enlisting to "be a soldier" (I think that enlisting is THE most patriotic thing a person can do to re-pay their country for the freedom of having the CHOICE to enlist or not in addition to their freedom) I also firmly believe that one should make the most of their enlistment- If I am going to give the US Govt 3, 4, or 5 years of my life, I am going to make the most of it, take every opportunity offered to me, and take advantage of all bonuses/incentives such as the Montgomery GI Bill, or the 10 points for the civil service exam for the City of Philadelphia Fire and Police Departments; or however much bonus points are offered in other municipalities for their entrance exams.

I can't begin to tell you how many people I know, that willingly and voluntarily enlisted in the branches of the US Military (with full knowledge that they would receive bonus points for exams, job training, and college credits) that are now on the job in NYC, Philly, and Camden NJ. None of them ever tried to get out of certain duties or shorten their enlistments. They went in with the full intent of being a Soldier, a Marine, a Sailor, a Zoomie or what have you FIRST.

Leave a comment:

• OHFirestopper
    replied
    Originally posted by TL678 View Post
    It ****es me off when people on here say go to the military so you have a better chance of getting a fire job. I served my country with the intent of being a solider. Its enough pog's in the military trying to get out of deployments because they thought the military would give them jog training and allow them to complete college.
    You don't think that there are people like this in every department or career?? LOL lazy people are everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• dfwfirefighter
    replied
    Originally posted by Futurefireman979 View Post
    I am scared that this will hurt my chances at being a firefighter which has always been my dream.
    Yes - this will be a barrier.

That being, all is not yet lost. Be honest and truthful during the hiring process. Be aware, however, that there are many applicants out there with spotless records. Couple that with the fact that, in today's economy, a lot of educated (and hopefully smart) people are out of work and will standing in line next to you.

Leave a comment:

• TL678
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidthouse7 View Post
    yeah, instead of going to college and getting certified go into the military for five test points. Why do people always suggest that if he wanted to go into military he would be doing that.
    Departments have different limits as to points or accidents allowed the time frames range from 2-5 years and typically are 2 to 3 moving violations in that span. Follow the plan that works for you and start taking tests asap. Those tickets will be behind u before u know it. As far as a ticket that is a killing blow, DUI or DWI, so don't drink and drive. Most places wont hire with a suspended license you'll nee at last a class C in TX sometimes even to test.
    Last edited by TL678; 03-23-2011, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• schmidthouse7
    replied
    yeah, instead of going to college and getting certified go into the military for five test points. Why do people always suggest that if he wanted to go into military he would be doing that.
    Departments have different limits as to points or accidents allowed the time frames range from 2-5 years and typically are 2 to 3 moving violations in that span. Follow the plan that works for you and start taking tests asap. Those tickets will be behind u before u know it. As far as a ticket that is a killing blow, DUI or DWI, so don't drink and drive. Most places wont hire with a suspended license you'll nee at last a class C in TX sometimes even to test.
    Last edited by schmidthouse7; 03-23-2011, 05:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OHFirestopper
    replied
    Being 18 years old i would advise you to go into the military and get your dd214 which will give you extra credit on every test and allow you to obtain your dream job

Leave a comment:

• fire49
    replied
    Put has tx sent you paperwork that they are going to suspend it????

Leave a comment:

• Futurefireman979
    started a topic Texas want to be fireman

Texas want to be fireman

I am 18 and am graduating high school in 2 months. I have already signed up for Emt class and am planning on being an emt for a little bit and then I will attend one of the best Fire Schools at Texas A&M. Recently i had two wrecks in wet weather doing under 10 mph and i got a ticket for each of them. I payed both tickets right on time, but now texas had a new point system and apparently I have the certain amount of points for my license to get suspended which it is. I am scared that this will hurt my chances at being a firefighter which has always been my dream. Please respond and let me know of any advice or if this could stop me from living out my dream.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X