Assault Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault Charge

I am 23, a combat veteran, and paratrooper. I am thinking of persuing a career in firefighting when I get out, but when I was 18 i was charged with a domestic assualt in High school for grabbing my girlfriend by the wrist.. stupid move that possibly screwed up a lot of opportunity. Will a fire dept take me considering it was 5 years ago, my military background and with zero discipline issues since??

Theres always a chance. Guys get hired with history of drug/alcohol use, driving violations and many other criminal vioaltions. It will be hard. But if you want it dont give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Airborne1988 View Post
      I am 23, a combat veteran, and paratrooper. I am thinking of persuing a career in firefighting when I get out, but when I was 18 i was charged with a domestic assualt in High school for grabbing my girlfriend by the wrist.. stupid move that possibly screwed up a lot of opportunity. Will a fire dept take me considering it was 5 years ago, my military background and with zero discipline issues since??

It'll be tough, but you have some things going for you as well. If you weren't a vet then I'd probably say you have no shot, but that definitely changes things a bit.

As of now, you cannot change it so don't allow it to change your mindset.

Comment

Were you found guilty in court? Do you have the police report stating you ONLY grabbed her wrist? It would make all the difference for IA and the panel.

Comment

Just remember, competition for Fire Dept jobs is fierce- like ancient roman gladiator fierce. There will be MULTIPLE applicants for each position open, many of whom will have clean records. As long as you have kept your azz clean since the occurance, I am sure they would take into consideration your clean exemplary Military record.
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

What level crime was it in that state??

Misdemeanor. Felony
            And what level class a b c. 1st degree 2nd 3rd??
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

It was 5 years ago, It was a misdemeanor assault charge, You were in high school when it occurred. Since that time, you have "grown up" and are a different person. I don't think that having this ding in your jacket while knock you out from getting a "paid job". But like FWDbuff stated there are a lot people that are applying for the same job that do have a clean record, so having the assault charge could hurt you. When asked about the charge, be willing to explain what occurred and be willing to except rejection. Keep your head up and keep plugging along, if you are willing to keep trying you will find a job.

Good Luck
              Stay Safe
              Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
              - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
              -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Domestic violence against a woman is a hard rap to beat. I believe it will be problematic for you. Thie is definitely in your favor, but it MAY be too much for some employers to overlook.
                Paul Lepore
                Division Chief
                Aspiringfirefighters.com
                AspiringFireOfficers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Airborne1988 View Post
                  So what...were you convicted? If not, what is there to worry about? A charge isn't a conviction...except in Russia and other 3rd world dictatorships.

FTM-PTB

Comment

Is it expunged?

Comment

Domestic violence is usually an automatic disqualifier for paid departments BUT yours is a simple assault since you probably werent living with her at the time. You have a shot with the other feathers in your cap.
                      Test: 2000
                      Score: 98
                      List Number: 60**

Comment

There is no such thing as an expunged record...
                        Paul Lepore
                        Division Chief
                        Aspiringfirefighters.com
                        AspiringFireOfficers.com

Comment

Originally posted by paulLepore View Post
                          There is no such thing as an expunged record...
                          A friend of mine was hired by his "dream" department. He made it through the hiring process, aced his interview, and passed the remaining hiring stuff (medical exam, uniform fitting, and etc.)

A few days before he was to start in the fire academy, he was notified that he was, for lack of a term, "fired" for dishonesty in the hiring process. He was shocked and questioned "why". In a nutshell, a speeding ticket he had expunged showed up as something other than a ticket - a "tick" mark, if you will.

Upon the fire department's further investigation, it was determined that it was a ticket that had been removed to clean up the applicant's record during his quest for a firefighter job. Had he mentioned this during the hiring process, it would have likely not be a deal killer. ThI doubt he (the applicant) intended to mislead... he assumed that something expunged was, well, gone.

It wasn't.

If you get something expunged during the hiring process, make sure you somehow disclose this at the appropriate time. As a matter of fact, it kinda makes you wonder why one would go through the hassle if it (or something) still shows up?

The best course of action is to not break laws and get into trouble. If you do, be honest and disclose what happened.
                          DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Comment

DFW,
                            I could not have said it better myself. Firefighters are held to a higher standard than the rest of the community. SOmeone who lies or intentionally withholds information is not someone who we are looking for. Your example very well illustrates what I have always said;
                            "There is no such thing as an expunged record"

We have access to EVERYTHING because you sign documents in the background process giving us permission to access your records. Not signing the documents is grounds for removal from the process. Attempting to cover your past by sealing the records is an attempt to be dishonest. As illustrated above, you will be dismissed from the process.....
                            Paul Lepore
                            Division Chief
                            Aspiringfirefighters.com
                            AspiringFireOfficers.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader