X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pasobuff
    replied
    Originally posted by FireAholic144 View Post
    Because this question could go many ways, how would you approach it if the question was worded "should firefighter be held to a higher standard off duty?"
    Yes - firefighters, and anyone in a position that has people looking to them for guidance, support, or seen as a role model should be held to a higher standard, even when they are off duty.

No matter what, the general public are going to remember that the person who did x,y,z was a FIREMAN.....(replace with cop, doctor etc).....someone who is normally looked up to.....

Yes, we are all human, but some of us need to be more human than others...or is it less?.....

It is sad to see that so many people don't seem to care what the general public thinks, and/or doesn't take the time to consider what their actions could cause in terms of loss of confidence, 'status' and the publics' trust.....

Leave a comment:

• FireAholic144
    replied
    Because this question could go many ways, how would you approach it if the question was worded "should firefighter be held to a higher standard off duty?"

Leave a comment:

• pasobuff
    replied
    Which is why my post ended with

we are held to a higher standard.....one that every person should strive to meet.....

Leave a comment:

• Hopeful_FF
    replied
    There's quite a bit of difference between the question "Should firefighters be held to a higher standard?" vs. "Are firefighters held to a higher standard?"

Regarding the latter, I think other posts have shown that firefighters are held to a higher standard.

Now, whether they should be held to a higher standard is a much deeper question that really speaks the the standard held for non-firefighters as well. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to worry about your valuables in your home regardless of who is inside it. EVERYONE should be held to a high standard of morality...but we all know that's not the way it is. If it was, then my answer would be that firefighters should be held to the same standard as everyone - a high one.

Since we don't live in a perfect world, it doesn't work that way. The consequences are too drastic for cities/counties/fire departments/other firefighters when lapses in common sense, morality or integrity occur. Accordingly, firefighters should be held to a higher standard. Doing so helps the fire department avoid bad press and keep the public's favor. With the public's favor, fire departments can maintain or increase funding (usually) and - most importantly - deliver services more effectively.
    Last edited by Hopeful_FF; 03-23-2011, 01:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Originally posted by pasobuff View Post
    And it doesn't matter what your full time profession or job may be (if you aren't a career FF) - the news media will IMMEDIATELY pick up on someone being a Vol or PT firefighter and blast that across the front page.....why, because YES - we are held to a higher standard.....one that every person should strive to meet.....
    Yeah, what the Lady said!!!

Leave a comment:

• pasobuff
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    What you do off duty, reflects on all firefighters in the citizens eyes.

You drink, drive drunk and get arrested, it is front page news.
    And it doesn't matter what your full time profession or job may be (if you aren't a career FF) - the news media will IMMEDIATELY pick up on someone being a Vol or PT firefighter and blast that across the front page.....why, because YES - we are held to a higher standard.....one that every person should strive to meet.....

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Originally posted by FireAholic144 View Post
    Thank you for the feedback Chief. It is greatly appreciated! There are so many reasons why we are held to a higher standard that I wanted others opinions to see what their reasoning was. Even with us being off duty I believe were held to a higher standard because even in an emergent situation, we are expected to act and maintain our characteristics. Were expected to be the same people off duty as well.

What you do off duty, reflects on all firefighters in the citizens eyes.

You drink, drive drunk and get arrested, it is front page news.

Leave a comment:

• FireAholic144
    replied
    Thank you for the feedback Chief. It is greatly appreciated! There are so many reasons why we are held to a higher standard that I wanted others opinions to see what their reasoning was. Even with us being off duty I believe were held to a higher standard because even in an emergent situation, we are expected to act and maintain our characteristics. Were expected to be the same people off duty as well.
    Last edited by FireAholic144; 03-23-2011, 01:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• paulLepore
    replied
    Absolutely 100% yes. We are held to a higher standard than the rest of society. This is what allows us to come into people's homes and them not worry that we will steal from them.

Ask yourself this simple question:
    If your mother had her jewelry on the kitchen table and the cable guy was coming over would she put it away? The answer is YES!

How about if it were the Maytag repairman? The answer is YES!

How about if it were the police department? The answer is maybe...

How about if the firefighters came into her house. Would she be worried? Most likely not.

The reason is that the public holds us to a higher level. All of our neighbors know we are firefighters and have a higher expectation of us.

Leave a comment:

• FireAholic144
    started a topic Interview Question

Interview Question

Hey all,

I'm looking for some insight on one interview question. I have my answer, but I want to see what others might say for this question. The question is: Are/Should firefighters be held to a higher standard? If so, then why?

Thanks for the help everyone!

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X