running ems calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running ems calls

I am moving out to South carolina from California and I notice most of the departments don't run ems such as Sevannah GA fire department and some even require you to be some sort of public safety officer? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, I actually don't mind running ems calls in fact would like to eventually get my medic though just have my emt now. Thanks anyone.

Public safety officer means that you are also certified police officer and all the police officers have the most basic firefighting training. It was thought that the cities could save money combining the police and fire. Its allowing them to have 2 FF's on an engine and the police have turnout gear in there cars to provide manpower. What its really doing is putting peoples lives in danger as the police only have the very basic training and no experience in firefighting. As far as EMS goes, Savannah GA does not do any EMS. I don't think they even respond to MVA's as that is handled by the EMS side as well. Cities like Charleston SC have seperate EMS and fire as well. If you are interested in doing both EMS and Fire you need to look at some of the bigger county fire departments as they usually have fire and ems combined.

Comment

Many of the cities run ems calls as well. What part of the state are you moving to? That will give me an idea as to what departments you can apply to.

Comment

Majority of depts in the south run ems especially Georgia.

Comment

Originally posted by battlecomedown View Post
          Many of the cities run ems calls as well. What part of the state are you moving to? That will give me an idea as to what departments you can apply to.
          I am moving to Charleston South Carolina.

Comment

I take it you saw the job listing for N. Myrtle... lol

Comment

Originally posted by BennyT373 View Post
              I take it you saw the job listing for N. Myrtle... lol
              LOL yea actually that is what brought the question about. I read a post by someone that said you would only help the police one time a year for some black bike wknd. rally but I don't know how correct that information is.

Comment

Charleston is a good place, very traditional fire department however they've made a lot of changes since the charleston 9 died. They fight a decent amount of fire and everything in the city of charleston and downtown area is very very old. They are first responders for charleston county EMS. Pay is kind of low that is the only bad thing.

Comment

North Charleston is a horse of a different color. It's a different city than charleston. North charleston is very ghetto and the city itself has a lot of crime. I haven't heard much good about NCFD other than they just got a grant to train all their personnel to EMT level. PM if you need anymore info.

Comment

I used to work for Charleston County EMS. The county has a number of FD's, and they all do EMS first response. There's St. John's, ST. Andrews, Awendaw, Charleston City, N. Charleston, and James Island (great bunch, they backed me up on medic 4 quite often)from what I remember. Only Mt. Pleasant had ALS first response, but no EMS txp. I think Dorchester and Berleley Counties are have seperate fire and EMS txp as well. Colleton county is a dual role EMS txp FD I believe.

Be careful down and around Charleston. It's a real right to work environment if you know what I mean. The pay is typically low, and there's no IAFF organization to my knowledge, so the employer makes all the rules. That's not to say that these aren't good places to work for, but there's no protection against cronyism, poor working conditions, unequal discipline, resistance to forward thinking to improve the dept, etc. I enjoyed living in the Charleston area, and my wife and I would like to retire there, but working for county EMS I was held over very frequently and pretty much only came home to rest. On a FF salary down there, though, you won't be able to affrod much. I'd personally prefer to like in Mt. Pleasant, but if money is an issue you can look at the Dorchester side of Summerville, the farther away from I-26 the better.
                    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by OHFirestopper View Post
                      North Charleston is a horse of a different color. It's a different city than charleston. North charleston is very ghetto and the city itself has a lot of crime. I haven't heard much good about NCFD other than they just got a grant to train all their personnel to EMT level. PM if you need anymore info.
                      What departments hire medics? Which are well paying? I don't mind a little drive, I like Charleston area but it seems like the fire dept. aren't the best for numerous reasons. It seems that most departments start you out around 30 $ a year pay, coming from Ca. that seems pretty low. Is all So. Carolina non Union?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X