Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cumberland fire department hiring 8

http://www.ci.cumberland.md.us

Cumberland MD. We received a FEMA grant and will be doing an accelerated hiring process there will be at least 8 hired off this list and if anyone retires over the next few years they have to be replaced.

All new hires must be ALS providers for length of employment
    Last edited by howdy1715; 03-21-2011, 01:51 PM.

Applied. Been talking with some people up there about this for quite some time. Good luck all

Comment

Originally posted by howdy1715 View Post
      http://www.ci.cumberland.md.us

Cumberland MD. We received a FEMA grant and will be doing an accelerated hiring process there will be at least 8 hired off this list and if anyone retires over the next few years they have to be replaced.

All new hires must be ALS providers for length of employment
      Is the base salary minimum ($33k) for FF/EMTB? Or is that salary for a FF/Medic? The reason i'm confused is because it says you have to get the medic cert. within 2 years of obtaining employment. So is the 33k the base, then you get bumped up higher in the paygrade once you receive the cert? Or do they start everyone at that rate and term. you if you fail to get the cert within 2 years?

"Candidates must have a valid State of Maryland Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic License or Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate License, or be in the process of obtaining said license within two years of employment"

I was up there volunteering for a Missions of Mercy event last fall. It's a beautiful part of the state thats for sure.
      Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Comment

From what I've gathered if you are already an EMT-P your salary is higher. 37k ish. All others is 33k.

Comment

Firefighter paramedics get 14% over base firefighter emt and firefighter medics get %13 over emt but you will have to check I am pretty sure the new hires salary and raises are dictated by the SAFER grant then after the three years you would fall into our regular pay scale

Comment

Also if your a Maryland ALS provider and you pass the tests you will most likely be the top of the hire list because they are looking at trying to get everyone thru academy and on a crew in the beginning of June. If an ALS provider from another state you have a good shot but would lookinto the reciprocity paperwork and testing process so you had it out of the way or ready to go if you got to the interview after the test.

Comment

The SAFER grant is determined by what salaries are or were prior to elimination (if that is the case). The amount that should have been applied for would be # positions X salary per position. The SAFER pays for two years, and the third is on the department. After 3 years, there is no guarantee.

Even though the process just officially opened the 21st, I still haven't seen any advertisements other than the City website and forums. So I'm hoping (as a NR EMT) that not many apply, as the case during the last test

Comment

About the Job
                Notice to Applicants FIREFIGHTER/MEDIC The Cumberland Fire Department will conduct pre-employment testing for the position of Firefighter/Medic . Candidates interested in participating in the testing process must submit an employment application along with a $20.00 registration fee to the Human Resources Department located at City Hall, 57 N. Liberty Street, Cumberland, Maryland. The deadline for submitting applications will be 3:00 p.m., Friday, April 1, 2011. Applications along with detailed information about the pre-employment testing procedures are available at the Human Resources Office, Second Floor or can be located on the City’s website www.ci.cumberland.md.us . Minimum requirements for the position: Individual must be 18 years of age at the time application is made; possess a high school diploma or equivalent of such, vision must be 20/40 or corrected to 20/20, and possess a valid driver’s license. Candidates must have a valid State of Maryland Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic License or Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate License, or be in the process of obtaining said license within two years of employment. Once hired, employee must maintain said license throughout his/her career with the Cumberland Fire Department Firefighter/Medic Salary: $33,117 - $48,243. The City of Cumberland offers a liberal benefits package which includes State of Maryland retirement, deferred compensation program available, choice of hospitalization plans, prescription card, vision program, dental plan available, sick leave, paid vacation/holidays, and health/life insurance. The work schedule is 24 hours on/48 hours off following a 6-8 week recruit training period upon which time a crew assignment will be made. The City of Cumberland is a full-service community of 21,500 citizens, situated adjacent to Interstate 68 in beautiful Western Maryland. EEO/ADA.
                This listing brought to you by The Cumberland Times News

Comment

Any ff/medics on engines or only in the box?

Comment

The department is combination EMS and fire. I listed EMS first because we run 4 times as many ambulance calls as we do engine calls. Everyone is cross trained and we rotate assignments. For the first several years you will spend most of your time on an ambulance though. But our ambulances run all fires and the frontline unit is our two out for fires that do not go to working alarms. Once we go working a full rit crew is dispatched and ambulance crew supplements where needed. But you will get to be assigned to and engine or the truck on occasion.

Comment

Ok, great. I assumed it would be so, but you know what the say about assuming... Riding the box first is totally understandable to get a feel for the community and to learn the ropes, per say. I've talked with some folks in CFD and sounds like a great place to be. Looking forward to April 15.

Comment

Greetings,

My name is Bill Hicks and I am in my 18th year in the fire service, and currently serve as a fire chief. I am also a doctoral candidate at Eastern Kentucky University and my dissertation topic involves investigating the current status of firefighter reciprocity among the 50 states. I am seeking members of the fire service who may have experience in moving from state to state and seeking reciprocity, or recognition of certification issued by your old state, in a new state. Also, if you came from the military and sought reciprocity for DOD certificates, I would like to hear from you as well. If you have not experienced this, please forward the link below to anyone who you may know that has done this.

For those that have such experiences, I am humbly asking you to give 5 minutes of your time to answer a short series of question found at the link below on your experiences with seeking reciprocity, or recognition when you moved from one state to another, regardless of being paid or volunteer members in your department.

Also at the end of the survey you will have a space to share any experiences you may have had when dealing with reciprocity of fire service certifications in your department and with your state. Also feel free to forward this to any fire service member(s) who you feel would have something to say on the topic.

Your anonymity is protected throughout the process. Just click or copy the link below to begin.

https://ekussem.co1.qualtrics.com/SE...Z1aVMb9w1QhYtD

Also, if you would like to share your experiences with me in more depth after taking part in the survey, please leave your email in the beginning of the comments section at the end of the survey.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X