Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accountant/firefighter

Hey guys,

If any of you have time to give some opinions on my situation I would really appreciate the insight. I'm wondering if my degree (bachelor of science in accounting) would add to my firefighter resume at all. I'm trying to build up my resume right now, so I'm going to go through the EMT basic training, but I don't have the time flexibility to work in the paramedic training as well. Long story short, I'm wondering if my degree means anything in the hiring process. Being thirty-two, am I out of luck if I don't have the paramedic certification too, or does my degree help my efforts?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by bdubs4040 View Post
    Hey guys,

If any of you have time to give some opinions on my situation I would really appreciate the insight. I'm wondering if my degree (bachelor of science in accounting) would add to my firefighter resume at all. I'm trying to build up my resume right now, so I'm going to go through the EMT basic training, but I don't have the time flexibility to work in the paramedic training as well. Long story short, I'm wondering if my degree means anything in the hiring process. Being thirty-two, am I out of luck if I don't have the paramedic certification too, or does my degree help my efforts?

Thanks in advance
    All depends on the requirements of the Municipality(ies) you plan on applying at. Some require college credits (any kind of course work), some require classes fire-related, and some require no previous fire training or college credits of any kind whatsoever.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 03-20-2011, 12:34 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

It absolutely means something. It shows you started and completed a degree in a complex field, something a lot of your fellow applicants will not have in their arsenal. A 2 year, 4 year, Masters, whatever degree should always go on your resume.

Comment

It sure will when become chief or CFO
        Yes it does look good and good second job
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Wow, you guys are much more supportive than those on the law enforcement forums. THANKS! I'm not naive, and I don't believe for a second that this degree is worth nearly as much as a paramedic certification, but I just can't find a paramedic program around Salt Lake that can be completed during nights and weekends. So here I am trying to make the best out of what I can work for.

Comment

Ask yourself if your goal is really to become a firefighter? If you’re bent on getting a degree and don’t plan on going to medic school, think about how an unrelated degree will compete with those candidates who have a fire related degree in the oral board? The oral board is usually 100% of your score to get a badge. If you’re not a medic you will only be able to take around 20% of the job offerings. That’s because up to 80% of the job offerings are for fire/medics.

Many think it doesn’t make any difference what your degree is in. Yes, it demonstrates you learned how to learn, had commitment, and you were able to dedicate 4-5 years of your life to obtaining the degree. You sacrificed, set a goal, and achieved it. And, two years after graduation a UC Berkeley study showed 60% were in fields unrelated to their study.

You're looking for a seamless no surprises oral board interview. How do back up your claim of how you really have wanted to be a firefighter, this is your dream department and you didn't pursuit a firefighter related degree? How do you even begin to fire relate a degree in "Romance Languages, Art, Philosophy, Economics, etc.? All you have to do has create doubt with just one rater and it's game over.

I know several firefighter sons who wanted to follow in their father’s foot steps. Even knowing this they went out and got degrees in unrelated fields like finance, psych, etc. All ended up going to medic school to get their badge.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
            http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Check for online

http://www.trainingdivision.com/emt-...emt-paramedic/

Comment

Cops just have a different attitude to life

Must be something in the doughnuts

Comment

Fit your schedule??

http://www.slcfire.com/library/ParamedicProgramFAQ.pdf

https://bems.utah.gov/bems/do/course...tch=viewSearch

Also check the ambulance companies and hospitals

http://degreedirectory.org/articles/...City_Utah.html

Comment

That degree would definitely help you once your in a management position. Do you like your degree? I mean was it easy for you to get a high paying job? I'm thinking about getting my degree in that same field.

Comment

Originally posted by bdubs4040 View Post
                      Wow, you guys are much more supportive than those on the law enforcement forums. THANKS! I'm not naive, and I don't believe for a second that this degree is worth nearly as much as a paramedic certification, but I just can't find a paramedic program around Salt Lake that can be completed during nights and weekends. So here I am trying to make the best out of what I can work for.
                      Did you try to be a LEO before this?

Comment

I don't know where to respond first haha!

To Capt Bob: No, firefighting hasn't been a lifelong dream. Truth be told I was uninformed until fairly recently. That said, it's enough of a dream to sacrifice nearly double the salary I would get for continuing down the tax law route and working for family. I want to contribute to people's well-being, and they don't get overly excited when the see the lights from the audit truck coming=) I'm a very logical thinker, and accounting/tax law was given to me as a great choice, so I ran with it. It's proven to be an imperfect fit, and firefighting/emergency medic seems to be about the most exciting thing I've ever been involved in. Thousands of pages of taxes would make anyone want to run into a fire. I think at the end of the day, I'll NEED to find a way to get that paramedic certification. I just don't know how to do it in my limited time frame.

To Fire49: The program at The U was my first stop, however I was told that it would be the clinical hours that would conflict with work. Salt Lake City FD tests every two years, being that I won't be finished by the '12 test date, I'm having to shoot for the '14 test date. At which time I'll be 34, and if I need more time to finish the paramedic courses, I could be 36 before being resume-ready for hire. Not that I can't do that, I'm just trying to be honest with myself with regards to the department's desire to hire someone on the back half of their thirties. The work doesn't bother me, I can workout and study 24/7 with the best of em, but I don't want to get my hopes too high and be crushed, ya know?

The online program would fantastic, but I'm assuming I would run into the same issues with clinicals. I'm definitley going to look into that though, I had no idea there was an online option, so big thanks on that one!

To Firehousefreakshow: Speaking to the accounting field, well that I can definitely do. Some quick points: I do like accounting. I was recruited heavily starting in my junior year. Accounting is the most highly recruited major you'll find. In some circles they'll consider it the Cadillac of the business degrees. It's a demanding major, so be prepared to work.....HARD. The schooling is demanding. I went to school with a TON of accounting majors, but by the time we were in accounting III, they had changed to finance or marketing. They'll claim they made the change because accounting is "boring." Translation: It's hard as hell. To summarize, lots of work, lots of reward, and it's more fun in the office than in the classroom. If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a message. I don't know much about firefighting yet, but I have done quite a bit academically with accounting. As far as the money is concerned, yes, you'll be paid very well provided you get the critical CPA piece taken care of.

Comment

To SVTxDUDE: I have been investigating into both fields as fire/law enforcement seem to be very rewarding paths. I looked into law enforcement first, as I was in touch with the FBI because of my gpa and accounting major.

Comment

ATF might like you also and could Possibly get into fire investigation
                            Kind of best of both worlds

Comment

Yeah, I've thought about the ATF too. I just really want to be more than a walking calculator. I've actually thought of becoming a paramedic. If the process to become a firefighter is to lenghthy to take on at may age, I was thinking that a paramedic would be equally rewarding. My fiance didn't like the $38K annual salary though.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X