City of Knoxville, TN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of Knoxville, TN

Ok People, Here is the Infor that has been posted for the City of Knoxville, TN
    If you have any questions pleas feel free to ask away.

CITY OF KNOXVILLE
    CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION
    FOR
    FIREFIGHTER RECRUIT
    DRUG TESTING IS REQUIRED
    The Current Annual Salary for Entry-Level Firefighter Recruit is $31,226.00 (during academy)
    The Current Annual Salary for Entry-Level Firefighter is $32,007.00 (after graduation from academy)
    Closing Date: Friday, April 1, 2011 Examination Date: Saturday, April 16, 2011
    Deadline for submitting application By appointment only
    All applications must be submitted to the Civil Service Office or postmarked by Friday, April 1, 2011
    NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE TO THE STATED DEADLINE.

They plan on hiring any off of this list coming up? Also, what would be the first projected academy start date if so? I think it is usually a yr for their process not for sure tho.....Thanks in advance for questions answered.

Comment

The testing that is completed is good for two years. Those that tested last year and decided to keep their score will remain on the list. The City is getting ready to do several promotions this year which will create several openings. As of now the City is currently short 15-20 fire personnel. However, that being said we will have a new Mayor at the end of this Year. I know they would like to hire, but Will they? We will have to wait and See. If this is the Career you want. Whats wrong with applying and testing. Anyone would be stupid to not test just because they may not hire. You'll get a great experience. 1.)Learn the test, know what to expect the next time so you can be even better the next time.

Comment

That pay is kind of low isn't it?
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

The pays not great but I think TN has no state tax.
          Last edited by AJ770; 03-05-2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

cost of living is way lower too, about 20% less than the rest of the country's average...

Comment

Thanks for the info CM..I live pretty close, so I'm definatley going to apply...Knoxville a pretty aggressive dept?

Comment

The Pay??? In this economy, there are people that don't have jobs and would do anything for 32,000. Look, we work 10 days a month, 10 days. That means you have 20 days to do something on the side. To me that is BANK!!! The schedule operates as follows 24on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 4 days off. If this is the type of career you are looking for and what you want to do for the rest of your career, Then MONEY shouldn't be an issue.

Now to the questions:
                Knoxville is an aggressive department, there are several training opportunities, and are definately looking to grow.
                Tennessee does not have a State Income Tax.
                And the Cost of living is different, it all depends on what part of Knoxville you live. There are several excellent "bed room" communitites outside of the City Limit

Comment

I'm in.. right now i'm in AZ, what are some "must do's" when i'm visiting career-wise and leisure-wise... my Father and Grandmother live in Collegedale, TN.

Comment

Thanks again CM sds great.....32,000 in TN. is probably about like 40,000 in Va., Md.,etc....And as CM said lots of great communties outside of Knoxville within 20-30 minute drive..And I promise not every winter is like this one..Haha...stay safe everyone...

Comment

Wanted to throw this Page back to the front of the Hiring Forum. Come on guys. Ask questions.

Comment

i'm doing my app. as I type this. how is that PPT that you guys use? balance board seems kinda tricky. also what type of recruit do they prefer?

Comment

CM fireguy is there a reason that you could possibly elaborate on about why they ended up interviewing so many people two years ago when they stated that they would only interview 5 people for each available position? I interviewed, was not pleased with my test score of 90 which i believe is why I was not considered. Thanks

Comment

CFerd, For the Physical agility exam you do Sit ups, a Sit and Reach, and a Balance Beam. The Balance Beam is very tricky. If I were to make a suggestion and tell you all to NOT be the first couple to go so you can sit and watch the first group to go through and see how they do it.

CFD, As for this reason I can only speculate on the Information I gathered. I do not work for Civil Service therefore I can not confirm this. But the fire department was "needing" minorities, so what they did was interview everyone who passed both sections, so if you made a 70 you got an Interview. They hired 25 for the last class.

When they Hire they look at different things, most people say that you have to know someone to get hired, but when I was hired I didn't know a sole, granted I had a few years experience, but they also hired guys with NO experience at all. I really believe they try and average it out and see how well you interviewed and scored on your exam.

Good questions. Keep them coming.

Comment

will being a medic impact anything at all, does Knoxville do ems???

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X