I want to be a firefighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to be a firefighter

Hello, I'm Brandon Glass, and im from Asheboro, North Carolina and im 15 and i have always wanted to be a firefighter, i have to scanners in my room both set to my counties fire-dispatch, i know all of our 10 codes already and know where all stations are located, i love to watch air care fly in after a wreck or a tramutic injury. Thats just a little about me but i am in the 10th grade and wanting a college degree in firefighting, i dont want a online college i want a on campus experience, if you could help me at all please respond.
    Thank You

You should probably go out and buy 2 lightbars for your vehicle, one for the front and one for the back. Then go out and buy yourself a Federal Q, the Electronic Q would suffice, but if you REALLY wanna be a firefighter I would get the mechanical Q. After that, I would suggest 3 or four radios for your vehicle. VHF, UHF, Weather, and a NASA radio if you can find it. They're hard to find by totally worth the hunt.

I'd suggest buying 5 or 6 pairs of turn out gear as well, so you always have a fresh set. And make sure you wear the bunker pants everywhere, because we want to make SURE everyone knows you want to be a fireman.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

Start by ging by the local fire station to find out what if any education it takes to apply to fire departments in your area

Then set your educational goals on what is required

Also start working out and running

Good luck
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

FF4-

1. If there are any explorer programs in your area, go for it right now.
        2. If there aren't any, you can take the initiative and get one started.
        3. Follow Fire49's advice and start working out regularly and become a fitness machine.
        4.You might take advantage of your age and see if you can take some of the fire science courses early at a local junior college, but I honestly don't know what the rules are in regards to this. (Post what you find out as this might be helpful for other young people like yourself.)
        5. Get certified for CPR, work as a lifeguard.
        6. Volunteer your time teaching CPR or in any fire/emergency related capacity.

Hope this helps!

Paul C.
        PaulC
        FF/EMTP
        City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
        gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Comment

Originally posted by Chenzo View Post
          You should probably go out and buy 2 lightbars for your vehicle, one for the front and one for the back. Then go out and buy yourself a Federal Q, the Electronic Q would suffice, but if you REALLY wanna be a firefighter I would get the mechanical Q. After that, I would suggest 3 or four radios for your vehicle. VHF, UHF, Weather, and a NASA radio if you can find it. They're hard to find by totally worth the hunt.

I'd suggest buying 5 or 6 pairs of turn out gear as well, so you always have a fresh set. And make sure you wear the bunker pants everywhere, because we want to make SURE everyone knows you want to be a fireman.
          Come on man, give the kid a break. Its an exciting career so he has every reason to be excited.

Hey Brandon on top of all the other great things mentioned, get involved in your community regardless of what is you'd be doing. Helping others truly defines the role of a firefighter and it is important to do so both on and off the job. Some programs you may want to check out to get you started are the Boys & Girls Club and Big Brothers Big Sisters. I have had awesome experiences with both of these organizations!

Comment

worry about finishing high school first.

Comment

Originally posted by legos.8ty7 View Post
              worry about finishing high school first.
              After doing that go to college and get a degree in public administraion or a related field.
              Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Thanks everyone

Thank You Guys, and the first guy im not even 16 yet and im not intilited to any local of fire departments so i dont know how i wouldd do any of that but thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by FurtureFirefighter14 View Post
                  Thank You Guys, and the first guy im not even 16 yet and im not intilited to any local of fire departments so i dont know how i wouldd do any of that but thanks for the advice
                  I was picking on ya, kid. Keep your head on straight, stay out of trouble, stay in school, and go to college.

Good luck.
                  "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

Don't major in Fire Science unless you plan to double major. Otherwise, you'll most likely be wasting your time.

Many places across the county, it helps if you become a paramedic. I think you're a bit young to start that process, but you should be able to start the process of becoming an EMT at 16.

Stay out of trouble. Everyone does a lot of dumb **** when they're young, but don't do anyting too crazy.

Comment

Questions

Whats up my name is Zack. Currently I am a student at community college in illinois and I have couple questions about future paramedic and firefighter
                      I am in EMT right now and so far so good have a pretty high grade and I love going to the class. My problem is where to after? I have heard to even get the app for firefighter you need your paramedic? If thats true how hard is paramedic school? An associates degree, emt basic, paramedic and firefighter 1 would be the least expected for a job right?
                      Please answers would be appreciated thank you

Comment

This conversation brings up an interesting topic.

In regards to education, what is deemed the most beneficial degree route for a career ems/firefighter?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X