No announcement yet.

Can I still become a firefighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Time heals all wounds" is pretty true here too.
    In maybe 5 years you would have a chance, I would think.
    Spend that 5 years getting your medic cert, or a 4 year degree in fire science, and volunteering as well.
    Volunteer to work with a victim's right's group, or children of alcoholics, or something like that.
    Teach classes on alcoholism to high school kids.

Do whatever you can to distance yourself from the event, prove you are a better man now, and the event will never repeat itslef.

Sadly, a history of alcoholism is tough to get around, since firefighting is viewed as a "high stress" environment, and the risk of relapsing is pretty high.

So it will take alot of time, a ton of hard work, and even then it's questionable.

But if you want it bad enough, try.

Comment

Originally posted by paulLepore View Post
      Not in my neck of the woods. The problem is I suspect your background check will show a history of excessive drinking culminated by this event. Kudos for you for quitting drinking, but it may be too little too late.
      My record is clean other than the Assault.. I always drank at my house so I wouldn't have to drive.... I knew what to do when I was drinking and the first thing I would do is give my keys to my roommate..

The only reason why I started to drink when I turned 21 was because I kicked my cheating wife out my house.. And even still, I took it real bad. But I'm fine now, learned my lesson.

And by the way.. Nowhere in my police report does it say I hit the officers - unless verbal is assault, I didn't assault nobody and the police know that..

Comment

Originally posted by bkajun06 View Post
        My record is clean other than the Assault.. I always drank at my house so I wouldn't have to drive.... I knew what to do when I was drinking and the first thing I would do is give my keys to my roommate..

The only reason why I started to drink when I turned 21 was because I kicked my cheating wife out my house.. And even still, I took it real bad. But I'm fine now, learned my lesson.

And by the way.. Nowhere in my police report does it say I hit the officers - unless verbal is assault, I didn't assault nobody and the police know that..
        Oh well that changes everything then. I was clearly not your fault. You were just stuck with the short end of the stick. Your drinking problems are/were due solely to your "young" age and the fact that you had a crappy marriage. Thanks for explaining the incident with the police. I'm sure that they just happen to show up at your house to harass you for no reason at all. And to top it off they just trumped up false charges on you to help pass the time. Buddy I'll tell you one thing with all the bad luck that you already had in your short life, you might want to think about going into safer line of work than firefighting.
        Stay Safe
        Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
        - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
        -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Would've been "battery" if you actually hit them. Assault **usually** means threats of violence and intimidation. Around here, saying something like, "You dumb pig, I'm about to whoop your *****" to a police officer is enough for assault, especially if you have a weapon or even have your fists clinched and ready to swing...
          Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Comment

If it comes down to you and one other person, both equally qualified, and the other person never got arrested, who do you think they'll pick.
            Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Bottom line is that I don't think 1 year is enough time since the incident for any department. If this career is something you really want to do then I would strongly recommend that you continue in your education and community service... build your resume.

In 5 - 10 years down the line you can chalk it up to a dumb ***** thing you said when you were a kid after a night of drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
                Oh well that changes everything then. I was clearly not your fault. You were just stuck with the short end of the stick. Your drinking problems are/were due solely to your "young" age and the fact that you had a crappy marriage. Thanks for explaining the incident with the police. I'm sure that they just happen to show up at your house to harass you for no reason at all. And to top it off they just trumped up false charges on you to help pass the time. Buddy I'll tell you one thing with all the bad luck that you already had in your short life, you might want to think about going into safer line of work than firefighting.
                I've always wanted to be a firefighter though.. And the reason why they came to my house in the first place is because they thought that I had been driving drunk when I had walked up to the gas station with my girlfriend and wanted to buy more liquor, I left my licence there like a dumbass(I back a gasstation so it's walkable distance). Then when we got back to my house we got a knock on our door from two out of uniform cops(we didn't know they were cops yet) and I started saying get the f*ck off my property before I call the police or take matters in my own hands. That's when they came into my house and slammed me on the ground and stated that they were cops and they were arresting me. Since one of the police officers just pulled me over for a headlight being out the day or two earlier, he knew that I had a CCW, so they asked me where it was(when I drank I always put it on the top of the fridge).

My lawyer is getting everything taken off my record on August 11th, So I think I should be in the okay.

Comment

My lawyer is getting everything taken off my record on August 11th, So I think I should be in the okay.
                  It will still be there, you are gonna need to be patient and not give up if you really want this.
                  Isaiah 43:1-2

1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
                  he who created you, Jacob,
                  he who formed you, Israel:
                  “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
                  I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
                  2 When you pass through the waters,
                  I will be with you;
                  and when you pass through the rivers,
                  they will not sweep over you.
                  When you walk through the fire,
                  you will not be burned;
                  the flames will not set you ablaze.

Comment

I've always wanted to be a firefighter though.
                    Yea, what's your point? "But I've always wanted to be a firefighter" does not magically negate all the **** poor deicisions you've made in the very recent past of your life. And no, your lawyer is not having it removed from your record unless he plans to place you in a time machine and go back a few years.

Comment

I hear there's a new firehouse starting up in Trenton, NJ......

"A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

Originally posted by Chenzo View Post
                        I hear there's a new firehouse starting up in Trenton, NJ......

Capt. OT just told me he got booted, so he needs a friend. bkajun06 you should look him up.
                        Stay Safe
                        Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
                        - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
                        -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
                          Yea, what's your point? "But I've always wanted to be a firefighter" does not magically negate all the **** poor deicisions you've made in the very recent past of your life. And no, your lawyer is not having it removed from your record unless he plans to place you in a time machine and go back a few years.
                          Lol, it comes off my record in August.. the judge told me so and my lawyer. I wouldn't recommend telling people legal **** when you aren't even educated in that area.

And I was replying to that other guy, not you kthanks.

Comment

Originally posted by FireFarrier View Post
                            It will still be there, you are gonna need to be patient and not give up if you really want this.
                            Will do, thanks.

Comment

Lol, it comes off my record in August.. the judge told me so and my lawyer. I wouldn't recommend telling people legal **** when you aren't even educated in that area.

And I was replying to that other guy, not you kthanks.
                              That's nice. When the application, interviewer, or polygraph operator asks you "Have you ever been arrested for ______", the answer for you is still and always will be yes. Then, the inevitable following question is "Please explain". So unless you intend to lie on you application, lie to the interviewers, and lie to the background investigators....

And I'm more educated in that area than you will ever know btw.

Comment

At some point you will make a mistake and show your true self to the hiring department... maybe during interviews, maybe backgrounds, maybe polygraph, maybe on probation.

Just look at this chain... from "help me" to "**** you".

It's not about the mistakes you make, it's how you respond. Maturity is huge in this business.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X