Unusual Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hardtimesff View Post
    Wow. After reading your post it has really shed some light on my similar situation. I was also fired from my dream dept just last year. Although i think my situation was a little bit more severe (getting a DUI). It might sound bad but the cercumstances wernt. I wasnt even driving (parked in my car) andno traffic violations were made. I have been so depressed living off food stamps and unable to pay bills. Now i feel like the worst is yet to come. Although i made this mistake I still like im more qualified for the job then half of the applicants. I have more certifications and pieces of paper than guys twice my age. I dont wanna do any other job. If I cant be a firefighter/ medic anymore i might as well die.

Hope everythng works out for ya.
    check your inbox.

Comment

Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. That's all i have to say about that.

Thanks

Comment

give me a break

DUI is DUI, regardless of how it happened. When you "sleep it off" you climb in the backseat, passenger seat or wherever and not behind the wheel. As far as being depressed, living off welfare, in a dark place etc...save it for someone who gives a damn. Everyone has problems and obstacles to overcome in their life. If you cant deal with problems and solve them more constructively than that then youve got no business trying to help others with their problems on a daily basis. Firefighters are supposed to be professionals that are problems solvers. Not whiners that hide in the corner with their tail between their legs when things go wrong.

Comment

Firefighters are also expected to have compassion and to not be judgmental. These negative comments make us look like barbarians.

Comment

I agree with you 100%.I dont condone DUI at all but people on here are too quick to judge sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by jeeves1 View Post
              I agree with you 100%.I dont condone DUI at all but people on here are too quick to judge sometimes
              Explain it to me. I dont understand. Who held a gun to your head and forced you to drink, and then held the same gun to your head and forced you to drive? Here, let me give you a hint: NO ONE. You did it on your own accord, of your own conscious thought and action. YOU. ONLY YOU.

Anyone who chooses to do so gets no mercy nor sympathy from many on here. You, having previosly admitted to being guilty of the CRIME, of course advocate leniency and tolerance.

Again, explain to me how it was not your fault?
              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

you are right. It is my fault.
                Last edited by hardtimesff; 03-13-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by berg2904 View Post
                  DUI is DUI, regardless of how it happened. When you "sleep it off" you climb in the backseat, passenger seat or wherever and not behind the wheel. As far as being depressed, living off welfare, in a dark place etc...save it for someone who gives a damn. Everyone has problems and obstacles to overcome in their life. If you cant deal with problems and solve them more constructively than that then youve got no business trying to help others with their problems on a daily basis. Firefighters are supposed to be professionals that are problems solvers. Not whiners that hide in the corner with their tail between their legs when things go wrong.
                  I don't know why you have to be so negative. I did my job very well and I was always professional. I'm just telling my story on here to get some advice or positive feedback. I take full responsibility for my actions. It's really hard to bounce back after going through something like this. I'm not running from my problems nor have I given up. I look for jobs on a daily basis. I’ve applied for over 150 jobs and I keep a running list. The economy is just really horrible as all of you should know. I understand that some of you really look down on firefighters getting DUI's which is understandable. I made the decision to post on here so I’m also willing to take some heat.

Comment

FWD Buff Think you are confused.I have no DUI, I am just voicing mym opinion about others commenting on the original poster.So go back and look to see who originally posted this before you go pointing the finger

Comment

Originally posted by ANFengineOPS336 View Post
                      FormerFF,

I hope my story sheds a positive light on your situation...

In 2006 I was hired by a county fire department here in California after about 4 years in federal fire service. I was placed into a 12 week academy and pretty much felt that my life was set at the time, what could go wrong? Unfortunately, I failed out of the academy by a very small percentage (think < 1%) on just one of my final tests, and they sent me packing. Life was pretty rough for awhile after that. I had a hard time getting back on my feet at first...

Well fast forward to 2010 - 2011. After almost 5 years I finally worked the courage up to start testing again after my hometown fire department opened up and had some folks telling me to apply. I was doubtful at first because of my previous failure, and pretty much had it in my mind that I would never be a good candidate because of it. But after much consideration, I decided that I didn't want to let my dream go, and would take the reigns of my problem and actually include it in my first set of oral interviews. I cannot recall what the question asked was, but it made sense to discuss it and so I gave a brief overview of the story of me being fired, what I did following, and how I've grown as a person and as a firefighter since then...

And success. I scored very well in the interview. Went into backgrounds. Thought for sure I wouldn't clear backgrounds with my previous work history. But again I was as open and forthcoming as could be. Provided all documentation I had from my previous department. And much to my surprise, I passed and went onto the Chiefs Interview. So again I decided to include my story of failure to the Chief and his Assistant Chief and how I've grown from it... and wouldn't you know I just recently accepted a conditional job offer. Pretty darn surprising if you ask me, and never in a million years if you would have asked me a year ago...

I suppose my whole point is like Capt. Bob and others are saying, being fired is one of the most difficult hurdles to get over, but it is entirely possible. The biggest battles will be with yourself and accepting that the past is the past, lets focus on the future. It sounds like your fairly confident with yourself about what happened to you in the past, which is great. I wish I could have done that more quickly. But take everything in stride, prove to them at every stretch of the way that through it all, its been an experience that you will never forget, and I'm pretty sure you will find yourself back to where you belong. Best of luck to you! Let me know how it turns out.

- Soon to be FormerANFengineOPS
                      I went through a similar situation in May of 2009. I was taking an 8 month Paramedic "Academy" style class in 2008-2009. I was also going through the hiring process for my hometown Full Time Fire Department for the position of Firefighter / EMT-Basic. Medic was not required, but the Chief had told me he wanted to hire me and that he still wanted me to keep going to Paramedic class for the last month or so after I was hired.

Well, I lied to one of my paramedic instructors about my reasoning for being late for my Paramedic final. I drug the Fire Department I had gotten a job with not even a month earlier into the whole mess. I didn't get fired, but I was told that if I did not resign, I would be fired. Just as bad in my book. Not only was it my hometown "dream" department at the time, but it was also the Department my Dad worked for and retired from. Yea, that didn't go so well. I really messed that one up. On top of it all, I was forced to retake paramedic if I wanted my medic license. Like I said, biiiiig time mess up for a simple lie.

But since then, I have learned a lot. The hard way. I have talked to A LOT of different Chiefs and people involved with hiring around my state as well, and met and explained the story to them to get their opinions on it, and if I should stick with this job field since there are so many guys out there who don't have this in their past. Pretty much all of them said what's already been said about not giving up and admitting that I made a mistake and lied. FIRST AND FOREMOST. Then I need to work my butt off to sell myself to the oral board and convince them that I learned from my mistakes and that it won't happen again. I basically wanted to know if I even had a shot at this after my screwup.

I got a job as a EMT Basic on and got some experience working on a private EMS company. I got back on my old Volunteer Department, then after a bit, I switched departments and I got hired on a department that is actually closer to where I live, that gets 12x more calls and that is much more progressive.

I have been retaking Paramedic since February of 2009, and should be done in September of this year.

I also have been applying like crazy to a lot of different departments. I'm talking over 100 fire Departments since then. I started applying and travelling out of state A LOT for hiring processes and honest to god, after a 2 year process, it looks like I might have pulled it off and gotten an opportunity to start the academy for Baltimore City Fire Department.

I was upfront with every one of them, and thought the whole time, I didn't have a shot at this anymore, but for some reason, it looks like I might be given a second shot at all of this. Just explaining exactaly what happened to the people in charge has been the best policy for me so far.

Originally posted by FormerFF View Post
                      I will. As for another post, it wasn't me, but do you still have a link? I wouldn't mind reading some more advice. Thanks.
                      Originally posted by kyhunter42 View Post
                      I couldn't find it. But if I remember correctly the ff was fired while he was on probation for lying on his application. It wasn't a big lie, it might have been something about his certification. Anyways, a lie is a lie.
                      That might have been my previous thread. I didn't lie on my application, but I did lie to my Paramedic instructor a month after I had gotten a full time firefighter / EMT Basic position. I didn't get fired though. I resigned in lieu of being fired. Basically the same thing though.

Does this shed some light for you guys....lol....????

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108763

Originally posted by berg2904 View Post
                      Chill out! Seriously. Unless you have lived every experience out there, and have been thru it all (which you havn't.....nobody has) you need to STFU. DUIs suck....yes, and a lot of the times, the people who get them rightfully deserve them, but it sounds like this guy might be an exception to the rule. I don't support drinking and driving, but I do support sleeping in your car (wherever that may be in the car) until you are sober. People react differently to different situations. Deaths. Job losses. Mistakes. Depression. Alcoholism.

And it's not like we're counseling patients here Einstein....we're rescuing them and providing at the most, ALS. Not reconstructing peoples entire thought processes and behavioral patterns to better the people. We package them, stabilize them and ready them for and/or transport them to the people who do give definitive care. There are thousands of firefighters out there who have depression, behavioral problems, drug problems, anger problems *(you?)*, spousal problems, social problems, money issues that still are EXCELLENT at their jobs.

Apparently you're perfect and you've never had **** go down the tubes in your life.....glad it's been such a nice ride for you.
                      Last edited by zachis4wheeling; 03-13-2011, 10:52 PM.
                      Originally posted by jedch47
                      You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

Comment

FormerFF,

Sorry for getting so off your intial topic, but this thread seems to have taken a turn for the interesting. My apologies but hope you don't mind some rebuttal...

hardtimesFF,

Once again, don't let anyone sway you away from whatever your dreams are. Your road from here on will be full of the "nay-sayers" and "can not do'ers". Smile politely, tip your hat, and say "Thanks for your advice, have a good day". You'll show them down the road...

FWDBuff & Berg2904,

I don't believe hardtimesff ever didn't accept responsibility for his actions? I mean he came onto the thread, said "hey I got a DUI, I messed up" and told us about what he's going through. Im pretty sure he knows he's the only one responsible for his actions. FWD I think you are probably correct in saying that there are many folks that wouldn't give "no mercy or sympathy" but my thoughts are that hardtimesff is not looking for either, just advice and a forum to vent his frustations on...

Now are DUI's considered a negative in the fire service? Of course. But do I have firefighters and supervisors that I work with now or have worked with in the past that have DUI's and are excellent firefighters? Yes. It's all about your choices after a mistake, because like Zach said, firefighters are humans too. Zach is again 100% correct, firefighters are prone to those issues (alcohol, drug, social, anger, abuse,etc). If you can't accept someone because they made that error, thats completely your prerogative and I respect you for that... but I feel that you should make an honest attempt to be constructive to those that need it. What would you say to your best friend at your current fire dept's if he/she were going through the same problems? It's easy to make an online post smashing people going through a rough patch, but would you do the same if you were giving a face-to-face? Giving a hand-up is different than giving a hand out in this situation.

Feel free to respond, I'm interested in your opinions.

-ANFengineOPS336

Comment

That might have been my previous thread. I didn't lie on my application, but I did lie to my Paramedic instructor a month after I had gotten a full time firefighter / EMT Basic position. I didn't get fired though. I resigned in lieu of being fired. Basically the same thing though.

Does this shed some light for you guys....lol....????

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108763

Yep, that is the exact thread I was thinking about. Everyone makes mistakes. Its great the hear that you have taken that mistake and learned from it. I know it has made your road a lot harder.

On a side note, a guy from deptartment just got hired in Baltimore (Dec, I think).

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X