No announcement yet.

Unusual Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll have to let us know if you get a second chance. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading your post under a different user name a few years back. Anyways, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter42 View Post
      You'll have to let us know if you get a second chance. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading your post under a different user name a few years back. Anyways, good luck.
      I will. As for another post, it wasn't me, but do you still have a link? I wouldn't mind reading some more advice. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ANFengineOPS336 View Post
        FormerFF,

I hope my story sheds a positive light on your situation...
        It does, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by FormerFF View Post
          I will. As for another post, it wasn't me, but do you still have a link? I wouldn't mind reading some more advice. Thanks.
          I couldn't find it. But if I remember correctly the ff was fired while he was on probation for lying on his application. It wasn't a big lie, it might have been something about his certification. Anyways, a lie is a lie.

Comment

Thanks for checking. I almost wish my deal was that simple. I could explain that and people would believe me.

Comment

Wow. After reading your post it has really shed some light on my similar situation. I was also fired from my dream dept just last year. Although i think my situation was a little bit more severe (getting a DUI). It might sound bad but the cercumstances wernt. I wasnt even driving (parked in my car) andno traffic violations were made. I have been so depressed living off food stamps and unable to pay bills. Now i feel like the worst is yet to come. Although i made this mistake I still like im more qualified for the job then half of the applicants. I have more certifications and pieces of paper than guys twice my age. I dont wanna do any other job. If I cant be a firefighter/ medic anymore i might as well die.

Hope everythng works out for ya.
              Last edited by hardtimesff; 03-11-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtimesff View Post
                Wow. After reading your post it has really shed some light on my similar situation. I was also fired from my dream dept just last year. Although i think my situation was a little bit more severe (getting a DUI). It might sound bad but the cercumstances wernt. I wasnt even driving (parked in my car) andno traffic violations were made. I have been so depressed living off food stamps and unable to pay bills. Now i feel like the worst is yet to come. Although i made this mistake I still like im more qualified for the job then half of the applicants. I have more certifications and pieces of paper than guys twice my age. I dont wanna do any other job. If I cant be a firefighter/ medic anymore i might as well die.

Hope everythng works out for ya.
                Man, you can't even post a half-coherent comment on a firefighter website. How do you expect to get hired again by a fire department. Not to mention, DUI is a DUI. Nobody cares if you were driving or not. You were behind the wheel of a vehicle and you were drunk. This job requires people to have common sense and be a good example of following laws.

Sheez. What the hell?
                Pete

Comment

Would you like me to point out all the grammatical errors in your post? I can definately give you a list. But i wont do that because...NOBODY CARES. Also i think the job requires a bit more than common sense. Obviously i was a good candidate or i would't of gotten the job in the first place. I made one mistake. It was the first time i have ever been in trouble for anything. Give me a break. Thanks for your input though.

Comment

sweetpete,

Although you have a valid point rerading DUI's regardless of the circumstances, I found your comments to be a bit rude. Theres no reason to kick a person when they are down, when what they really need are words of encouragement. The fire service is about helping people in need with an empathatic attitude, compassion, and a smile on your face.

hardtimesff,

Hang in there buddy. It's a tough road ahead of you, I know all about it. All I can say is adapt and overcome. Don't dwell on the past. I couldn't sleep for months because it was all I ever thought about, and it drove me to a very dark place. You gotta believe in yourself and your ability to do good. Find something to focus on; a new job, or schooling, or anything, but just don't become stagnant. It will get better over time. Keep fighting for it if it's what you want, and you will make it happen. And further more don't let anyone else tell you otherwise and don't accept the "norm". Best of luck to you.

- ANFengineOPS336

Comment

Yes, a very dark place is where i'm in. Im taking it as a punishment for the mistake i've made. Hopefully i can find a regular job soon which should lift my spirits a little. Thank you for the encouraging words.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpete View Post
                        Man, you can't even post a half-coherent comment on a firefighter website. How do you expect to get hired again by a fire department. Not to mention, DUI is a DUI. Nobody cares if you were driving or not. You were behind the wheel of a vehicle and you were drunk. This job requires people to have common sense and be a good example of following laws.

Sheez. What the hell?
                        Pete
                        I think you need to simmer down a bit.

You don't have all the information. Doesn't take much to hit .08. Kid might have only had 3 beers and decided to sleep it off before he hit the road. I know plenty of great guys who have done the same. Firemen are human. Were there better options? Obviously, yes. Lots of ***** cops out there too.

Either way your comment was ridiculous - I mean...who calls people out on grammar? What are you gonna do next...tell him your dad can beat up his dad? Dude...really?

Comment

By the way...

Just sitting here in, and in 30 seconds of thinking about it I know of at least 10 people who were fired from departments and hired elsewhere, and most of them were successful their second time around. I'm sure if my brain wasn't so small I'd remember even more.

Some guys/gals weren't successful, and were fired on their second chances too. They were d-bags and didn't belong in the fire service. I even got hired with one. We were not sad to see him go. However, most of the ones I can think of are great guys, and are doing very well.

That's just people I know of personally, so there are probably plenty of others.

So, if you're squared away and a good person you can get hired again.
                          Last edited by powerhourcoug; 03-12-2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtimesff View Post
                            Would you like me to point out all the grammatical errors in your post? I can definately give you a list. But i wont do that because...NOBODY CARES. Also i think the job requires a bit more than common sense. Obviously i was a good candidate or i would't of gotten the job in the first place. I made one mistake. It was the first time i have ever been in trouble for anything. Give me a break. Thanks for your input though.
                            You wanna quote my "grammatical errors"? Be my guest. And as far as "nobody cares" about spelling and grammar, you're wrong. You should care, it makes you sound and look like a fool.

As far as the job requiring "common sense", that's just a prerequisite. I didn't say that's ALL the job requires.

Yes, I hope you get on your feet and find some work. I wouldn't wish unemployment on anybody. I just don't think you should be looking for work in Fire/EMS. There's plenty of other fields that you could try. Especially where a DUI won't be looked down as much as it is here.

Best wishes.
                            Pete

Comment

Originally posted by ANFengineOPS336 View Post
                              sweetpete,

Although you have a valid point rerading DUI's regardless of the circumstances, I found your comments to be a bit rude. Theres no reason to kick a person when they are down, when what they really need are words of encouragement. The fire service is about helping people in need with an empathatic attitude, compassion, and a smile on your face.
                              - ANFengineOPS336

ANF: Point taken. My apologies. DUI just rubs me the wrong way, especially when it's a FF. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by powerhourcoug View Post
                                I think you need to simmer down a bit.

You don't have all the information. Doesn't take much to hit .08. Kid might have only had 3 beers and decided to sleep it off before he hit the road. I know plenty of great guys who have done the same. Firemen are human. Were there better options? Obviously, yes. Lots of ***** cops out there too.

Either way your comment was ridiculous - I mean...who calls people out on grammar? What are you gonna do next...tell him your dad can beat up his dad? Dude...really?
                                I can't make excuses for DUI. Common sense dictates that if you need to "sleep it off", don't do it behind the wheel of a car!!

As far as the grammar thing goes, that's your opinion. And that's cool. I just think it makes a person look and sound stupid. But, that's my opinion. If it's considered harsh, my apologies. I hope this guy can find work somewhere, just not as a FF.

Seriously, best wishes to him.
                                Pete

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...