Unusual Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The plot thickens......
    Like I said only you have the information........
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Comment

Originally Posted by sTages19:
      is this the same department that had previously terminated you?

FormerFF:
      Yes, it is.

Wait, I'm confused now.
      You are going through an oral board with the same dept that fired you, and you want to know if you should bring it up?
      I'm pretty sure they would know about having fired you before, so you better have a pretty good story for what changes you have made since being fired.

Be able to give a clear, concise discussion of:
      1. why you were fired
      2. What you have done to change the perceived problem, with examples
      ie- I was fired for being late 6 times at the academy. Since then I have been on time every day for work for the past 6 years.
      3. What plan you have to maintain your problem free life during your career with this dept.
      ie- I have 4 alarm clocks and will sleep in my truck at the training center parking lot.

Good Luck!

Comment

You are going through an oral board with the same dept that fired you, and you want to know if you should bring it up?
        Initially, I wasn't sure if I should go into any detail without being specifically asked. I have since decided that I will bring it up and provide a full explanation regardless of their questioning. Now, I am simply unsure if I should unload the entire story during my first answer. i.e. they ask me "tell us about yourself" and I lay it all out first thing. Or, do I wait to see if it comes up during the normal flow and, if it doesn't, bring it up at the close of the interview? I am leaning towards the latter because I feel as though my entire interview will be graded lower if I bring it up right away, even if my answers are very good. Kind of a negative first impression thing.

Thanks to everyone here for your helpful input!

Comment

I just got in from my interview...it seemed to go very well. Thank you to everyone for all the help. I decided to wait until there was a question about my experience and brought it up then.

The scores will be tabulated and conditional offers are expected to be made by Monday, if not tomorrow. I feel the need to send a follow up letter to the Chief, since he wasn't on the panel. I want to be sure he knows I accept responsibility, have a passion for the department, and have worked very hard to earn a second chance. Is this appropriate? Beneficial? Would it be bad if I hand deliver it?

Comment

So what have you been doing since let go from that dept and now?

And how much time ago was that??

Can't hurt , hand deliver to the dept maybe not to the chief direct
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
              So what have you been doing since let go from that dept and now?

And how much time ago was that??

Can't hurt , hand deliver to the dept maybe not to the chief direct
              Only about three years ago. I was immediately rehired by a previous EMS employer and have worked there since without a single blemish on my record.

Comment

sounds great, have you tried to apply at other departments in the three years

Comment

Yup...I have scored really well and been on top of some lists, but no luck. When it comes down to decision time, I get skipped over. I guess I can't really blame them for not wanting to take what they think is "a risk". Yet, in truth, I am anything but. I find the panel can't comprehend that I was actually fired for what happened and, as a result, I don't think they trust I am telling the truth. I am, but it is almost impossible to convince them otherwise in a structured 15-30 minute interview.

Comment

Any high ups at that dept willing to write a letter confirming what happened, so you can submit that with the application??

Comment

I have never thought to ask. I know the city itself (technically HR, I guess), for liability reasons, has a strict policy to release only name, position, and dates of employment when requested by outsiders. This is true even when a signed release is provided. As for an individual, I will have to ask. Of course, with this being the same department, the individuals who ultimately will make the decision to hire are the same ones who made the decision to fire me. My main concern is that my passion, dedication, remorse, and development since will not ever be known by the decision makers. The interview panel knows, but I think they just fill out a bubble sheet and hand it over to others for the actual decision making.

Comment

Originally posted by FormerFF View Post
                        I have never thought to ask. I know the city itself (technically HR, I guess), for liability reasons, has a strict policy to release only name, position, and dates of employment when requested by outsiders. This is true even when a signed release is provided. As for an individual, I will have to ask. Of course, with this being the same department, the individuals who ultimately will make the decision to hire are the same ones who made the decision to fire me. My main concern is that my passion, dedication, remorse, and development since will not ever be known by the decision makers. The interview panel knows, but I think they just fill out a bubble sheet and hand it over to others for the actual decision making.
                        You Got Fired from a Department

No matter what your passion, dedication, etc. You seem to be running into the same thanks but no thanks trying to get your next badge.

Even though HR might have a strick policy of releasing information doesn't prevent a BI from just dropping by a station for a chat.

Consider these tips:

One of the most difficult hurdles to get over is being fired by another department. It's easier if you're a medic.

The main thing to remember is don't bring up getting fired in the oral board unless they do (many will say they already know so get ahead of the problem). Too many candidates want to bring it up on their own trying to justify their position and try to do repair work. Big error. You will only be opening a can of worms than can't be closed. Many structured orals will not bring this up. It will come up later in a chiefs interview or background.

If it is brought up or covered in your background, have a prepared answer (practiced with a voice recorder until it comes out of your mouth the way you want it to sound.

The only way we have found that has worked to get another badge after being hired is:

Don’t blame others. They probably wouldn’t believe you anyway. Take responsibility for what you think happened (you may never really find out why) what you learned, and how it has helped you move forward in your career. Your goal is to convince that chief that what happened will never ever happen again so they take another chance on you.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
                        http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Originally posted by CaptBob View Post
                          You Got Fired from a Department

No matter what your passion, dedication, etc. You seem to be running into the same thanks but no thanks trying to get your next badge.

Even though HR might have a strick policy of releasing information doesn't prevent a BI from just dropping by a station for a chat.

Consider these tips:

One of the most difficult hurdles to get over is being fired by another department. It's easier if you're a medic.

The main thing to remember is don't bring up getting fired in the oral board unless they do (many will say they already know so get ahead of the problem). Too many candidates want to bring it up on their own trying to justify their position and try to do repair work. Big error. You will only be opening a can of worms than can't be closed. Many structured orals will not bring this up. It will come up later in a chiefs interview or background.

If it is brought up or covered in your background, have a prepared answer (practiced with a voice recorder until it comes out of your mouth the way you want it to sound.

The only way we have found that has worked to get another badge after being hired is:

Don’t blame others. They probably wouldn’t believe you anyway. Take responsibility for what you think happened (you may never really find out why) what you learned, and how it has helped you move forward in your career. Your goal is to convince that chief that what happened will never ever happen again so they take another chance on you.
                          Why does this post, and your current post in the other thread, read like you cut/pasted it from a book or something?
                          Do you even read the original post, or do you just send in random posts from your library?

Really, it seems kinda insulting that you aren't even taking the time to write anything, you just spam some crap.
                          Nice effort.

Comment

Care to share why you were fired?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt1905 View Post
                              Care to share why you were fired?
                              Not in any further detail than I already have, sorry.

Comment

FormerFF,

I hope my story sheds a positive light on your situation...

In 2006 I was hired by a county fire department here in California after about 4 years in federal fire service. I was placed into a 12 week academy and pretty much felt that my life was set at the time, what could go wrong? Unfortunately, I failed out of the academy by a very small percentage (think < 1%) on just one of my final tests, and they sent me packing. Life was pretty rough for awhile after that. I had a hard time getting back on my feet at first...

Well fast forward to 2010 - 2011. After almost 5 years I finally worked the courage up to start testing again after my hometown fire department opened up and had some folks telling me to apply. I was doubtful at first because of my previous failure, and pretty much had it in my mind that I would never be a good candidate because of it. But after much consideration, I decided that I didn't want to let my dream go, and would take the reigns of my problem and actually include it in my first set of oral interviews. I cannot recall what the question asked was, but it made sense to discuss it and so I gave a brief overview of the story of me being fired, what I did following, and how I've grown as a person and as a firefighter since then...

And success. I scored very well in the interview. Went into backgrounds. Thought for sure I wouldn't clear backgrounds with my previous work history. But again I was as open and forthcoming as could be. Provided all documentation I had from my previous department. And much to my surprise, I passed and went onto the Chiefs Interview. So again I decided to include my story of failure to the Chief and his Assistant Chief and how I've grown from it... and wouldn't you know I just recently accepted a conditional job offer. Pretty darn surprising if you ask me, and never in a million years if you would have asked me a year ago...

I suppose my whole point is like Capt. Bob and others are saying, being fired is one of the most difficult hurdles to get over, but it is entirely possible. The biggest battles will be with yourself and accepting that the past is the past, lets focus on the future. It sounds like your fairly confident with yourself about what happened to you in the past, which is great. I wish I could have done that more quickly. But take everything in stride, prove to them at every stretch of the way that through it all, its been an experience that you will never forget, and I'm pretty sure you will find yourself back to where you belong. Best of luck to you! Let me know how it turns out.

- Soon to be FormerANFengineOPS

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X