No announcement yet.

Tacoma Testing 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduled for an interview at the end of the week! They difinitely were not kidding when they said it would move fast.

Comment

• EWFire, did you get your interview call today or last week? Thanks.

Flipper, do you know if calls are still going out? Thanks.
      Last edited by Pkane2011; 07-18-2011, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• I was left a message on Friday to schedule, and then they called back today after some phone tag.

Comment

• Hey Flipper,

I was wondering if you had any advice for the interview. How was yours? Was it more situational questions or personal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
          Last edited by philk2511; 07-20-2011, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by philk2511 View Post
            Hey Flipper,

I was wondering if you had any advice for the interview. How was yours? Was it more situational questions or personal (why firefighting, why us etc ... )?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
            Thinly veiled attempt at, "Tell us what the questions were." Smooth

Comment

• Originally posted by ffbam24 View Post
              Thinly veiled attempt at, "Tell us what the questions were." Smooth
              I wouldn't expect anybody to tell me about specific question, sorry if it made that impression ...

Comment

• Honest question Phil. I don't see any difference in asking here compared to going to a station and asking the crew for help. If it's not something that can be shared, it won't be shared. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Comment

• It certainly does. You're asking on an open forum specifically what questions to prepare for while the interview process is still going on.

Re: Stopping by the station to ask the crew for help.
                  Many departments don't allow station visits/ridealongs during their interview process for this very reason. An on-duty crew may be willing to help if they can, and there may be someone involved that might help you out, but here's the difference: This is still a testing process. Are you going to willingly give information to your competition and help them prepare to do better than you?

Compare notes with your buddies after the interview process has concluded in order to improve your answers. Sadly you have to be a little cutthroat and stingy to get the job, because your best competition is.

Comment

• I understand what you're saying bam and you're right but I don't think that is what phil was trying to do with that question.

Comment

• Bam you are way out of line! I have never (NEVER) heard of a department not allowing visits during the testing process. My department for example, tends to favor those candidates who do visit as it gives the crews a chance to size people up. Phil is not asking anything that any other normal candidate would be asking.

Before I got hired, I made a station visit and was talking with the Captain and crew about the department, etc. A few days later during my interview, that same captain was sitting on the interview panel. I must've made a good impression. Is that unfair?

If Flipper chooses to help or not, that is up to him. I think it is more than ok to ask a person who is currently working at a department that you are trying to get hired on, questions about the process, what the department is looking for, and how they structure their questions.

Comment

• Big city vs. small town. Both of you are right.
                        Last edited by JD2011; 07-25-2011, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• My thinking is stopping by a station to check out the Dept is fine.
                          Hanging out, trying to get info about what the interview is gonna be like is a bad idea.
                          Like someone else said, small town vs larger town.
                          You won't see anyone from the stations on the oral board. Well, maybe 1.
                          Most are HQ types.
                          So I hear.

Comment

• I would never ask for interview questions or any sort of unfair advantage. But Flipper, would you not recommend going through mock orals with firefighters from a dept. if they offer to help you out?

Comment

• Originally posted by TruckOps84 View Post
                              I would never ask for interview questions or any sort of unfair advantage. But Flipper, would you not recommend going through mock orals with firefighters from a dept. if they offer to help you out?
                              Be very careful; anything that could be construed as an unfair advantage to other candidates would be bad news. So unless everyone else on the list is getting the same mock oral board, that would be unfair.
                              Not saying don't do it, just be very careful.
                              I'd ask someone at HQ for further clarification.

good Luck

Comment

• Huh?
                                Out of line?
                                ****ing match?
                                A guy goes out of town for a few days and he's short of accused of....well I don't know exactly what

Never heard of it? I know personally KCFD 40 used to shutter their doors during their interview process. Can't recall some of the others I heard of offhand though.

Mind you, I did plenty of station visits and ride-alongs when possible. But I disagree with "favoring" candidates who do so. Not everyone can afford the time to do so.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X