New Fire/Medic Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fire/Medic Advice

Hi, I just recently moved to Columbus, OH from the Akron/Canton area. I understand jobs are almost virtually impossible now a days but I was wondering if anybody had any more advice for a new firefighter/paramedic. I have put jobs applications at 4 departments so far and still have 4 more to fill out. I recently just received my medic and have a job at a private EMS agency for experience. I am not sure if anyone had anymore advice as to possibly getting my name out there if there is any at all? Thank You so much.

Good luck. I've recently got my medic and I have applied/tested at 14 in the past year with nothing to show except a lowering self-confidence. I've got a pretty decent resume with Fire and EMS experience and work for a private and nobody seems to care about it. It's tough. really tough but keep your head in it and keep testing. the way I look at it is it'll eventually happen.
    Firefighter, EMT-P, CICP, EMSI, HazMat Tech

Comment

You are way ahead of the curve already by having your medic, that is a serious gold card when it comes to getting hired. The best possible thing you can do is apply everywhere you possibly can, and do not limit yourself to your state. There are many FDs seeking Medic's so when you hear about an opening, go take the test. It may take awhile, but don't give up. Best of luck.

Comment

Gburg must not know anything about Ohio...Medic is just another card EVERYONE has in Ohio. LOL

Comment

Especially NE Ohio
          Firefighter, EMT-P, CICP, EMSI, HazMat Tech

Comment

try other states if you are willing and able to move
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Yeah, I recently just signed a year lease in Columbus so I am kind of limited at this time haha But I hope to stay in the Columbus area so I am just going to keep applying and see what happens. I told myself that if I don't get a job around here in the next 2 years then out of state I will be looking or doing the Medic to RN which I don't want to do but whatever.

Comment

Same **** down here in miami , i once had an officer tell me.. " Your A FF Medic huh.. ten years ago youd tell me that id say your prime Chocalate.. now in the present..your running vanilla with ****ty sprinkles."
                EEEVVEERRYYYBOODDYYY down here in miami is a Fire Medic.
                its a joke.

Comment

You're right, I don't know much about Ohio...but if you are willing to go to PA, VA or MD then Medic will get you much further. In DC Medic's are on a totally different (and much shorter) list to be hired and in many other places around these states, being a medic will get you fast tracked through a process.

Comment

We have a ton of OH medic refugees here in Fairfax County.
                    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yeah I heard a lot of Ohio people going to Virginia, NC, and SC. Guy from my medic got a job a month after medic school in NC making decent money.

Comment

Originally posted by doubled8206 View Post
                        Yeah I heard a lot of Ohio people going to Virginia, NC, and SC. Guy from my medic got a job a month after medic school in NC making decent money.
                        If you work for the NOVA depts, you're driving distance from OH, much the same way I'm driving distance from NYC, where I'm from. Just live west of Fairfax/Loudon/Prince William.
                        "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Also, OP, did your medic program lie to you and tell you that there would be plenty of job opportunity for medics after graduation? OH and FL are two of the most oversaturated areas in the country when it comes to medics. VA, MD, and the Carolinas are not very medic heavy; it's easier to get hired in these states.

Comment

Hi doubled.

Never give up and never give in. This is a field where one has to be motivated at all times and one has to put up a fight until the end.
                            Don't listen to the haters that say "This place isn't hiring." I made that mistake and then found out that department was hiring at least 3-4.
                            Austin Texas is looking for medics. In fact, they are putting an academy class in June and August.
                            If you get a job out of state, take it. You can always continue to test for your dream department. I know lots of FF/Medics who do this.
                            Have fun testing. Have fun at your current job.

-Mark

Comment

Yeah, I won't give up on my dream. I just applied to a few departments around Columbus, even if they aren't hiring I don't care, just to get my name out there and to let them know I'm interested even though they probably get a bunch of applications. I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X