Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portland Fire & Rescue (Oregon) recruiting 2011

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Just got my invitation for the written exam also. Here's to 3 more weeks of studying.

    Comment


    • #77
      I also received my invitation. Hey Vadim, which position did you put in for? I put in for Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic.

      Comment


      • #78
        I was wondering if anyone knows of somewhere that I can secure stuff around the convention center. I am flying in the day before the test and will have a backpack with cell phone and other items but it says nothing is allowed in the testing area. Is there somewhere that I can secure my things while testing since I won't have a car to lock them in?
        Last edited by Qinkai; 07-12-2011, 12:10 PM.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by nnfra200302 View Post
          I also received my invitation. Hey Vadim, which position did you put in for? I put in for Firefighter EMT-B/Paramedic.
          I put in for the trainee position. I actually got 2 identical emails yesterday with an invitation to the written.

          Comment


          • #80
            Anyone know how soon after the written the interviews could be?

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Qinkai View Post
              I was wondering if anyone knows of somewhere that I can secure stuff around the convention center. I am flying in the day before the test and will have a backpack with cell phone and other items but it says nothing is allowed in the testing area. Is there somewhere that I can secure my things while testing since I won't have a car to lock them in?
              How are you getting from the airport to the Convention Center? I'd be happy to meet up with you if you want to leave your stuff in my car. I probably won't steal it

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by TruckOps84 View Post
                How are you getting from the airport to the Convention Center? I'd be happy to meet up with you if you want to leave your stuff in my car. I probably won't steal it
                I am taking the MAX light rail. I will send you a PM!

                Comment


                • #83
                  So first I got an email saying my app was rejected for trainee, now I got an email today saying they reviewed my app and I can test for the Firefighter/EMT position since I have previous experenice lol strange

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Whats the chances on the test they are going to give a specific general rule of conduct that we have to know the exact article number like 500.48. If thats the case im in trouble. But I guess everything is fair game. Anybody got those numbers down yet??

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      study guide. Video test.

                      Don't worry I am not really much competition so dont be afraid to let me know. MY highest score on a test so far was a 92 on any test. I am trying to test anywhere. I heard there was a study guide. Does anyone know which test or type of test they dminister. Is there a video simulation? How many do they take to the physical and how many go to the next interview, avg high scores. blah blah blah.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        I applied but unfortunately won't be able to make the test. Good luck everyone!

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by ashncole View Post
                          Don't worry I am not really much competition so dont be afraid to let me know. MY highest score on a test so far was a 92 on any test. I am trying to test anywhere. I heard there was a study guide. Does anyone know which test or type of test they dminister. Is there a video simulation? How many do they take to the physical and how many go to the next interview, avg high scores. blah blah blah.
                          Dude really? How about a little confidence, a 92 isn't even that bad for some tests. Yeah there is a study guide. Probably a good practice to start checking out the website for departments you are testing for, they'll have all the info you're looking for. Good luck and study hard cause you're already a little behind he game.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by TakingMauiTest View Post
                            I applied but unfortunately won't be able to make the test. Good luck everyone!
                            Same here, I got my EMT final the next day. Good luck everyone and study hard!

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by TruckOps84 View Post
                              Dude really? How about a little confidence, a 92 isn't even that bad for some tests. Yeah there is a study guide. Probably a good practice to start checking out the website for departments you are testing for, they'll have all the info you're looking for. Good luck and study hard cause you're already a little behind he game.
                              I found the study guide and I'm in the last week of my finals for paramedic so I'm trying to finish that up before I dive into the study guide. 92 wasn't bad for the city I was testing in but I'm hoping for a lot better assuming 92 won't even cut it close for 4500 testing. I'm hoping A new test, a little studying and a city that I qualify for vets points will give me a confidence boost itself. I really am looking forward to the experience and practice....a job would be cool!

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                I was on Portlands blog page and this was on there if you didn't see it then here it is.... it gives a pretty good idea about their process....

                                "One of the things that people need to know about the testing process with PF&R is that it takes time!



                                Our open enrollment ended July 1st with 3,500 candidates signing up for our August 1st exam. This year we have a written exam that is similar to what we used to call the “red book” test. We have a 137 page study guide that candidates were able to download beginning April 18, 2011. Although this study guide is going to be the bulk of the written exam, the rest of the exam will be general knowledge with no study guide provided. The three general knowledge components are math, reading comprehension, and mechanical aptitude.



                                Candidates with the highest written exam scores are eligible for the second phase of the exam, the Physical Agility Test (PAT). The PAT is often difficult for people who have never handled firefighting equipment so we have five weekends of practice sessions available for candidates that passed the written exam. These practice sessions are highly recommended. Candidates are reminded that the PAT is a minimum requirement and training is much more physically demanding. The PAT exam is scheduled for the second and third weekends of October. The number of candidates invited to the PAT can vary depending on test scores.



                                Candidates that pass the PAT are invited to the last phase of the hiring process, the Chief’s Selection Interview. These panel interviews are tentatively scheduled for November and December. This is where the final hiring decisions are made. I find that many candidates put so much time and effort preparing for the first two phases of the exam that they are unprepared for the third phase, the panel interview. Candidates are encouraged to practice interviewing skills and think about how their life experiences may relate to the job of a firefighter. Candidates are given the questions for ten minutes prior to their interview. This gives them an opportunity to brainstorm and think about the questions prior to meeting the panel. Interviews are generally scheduled for between 20 and 30 minutes and have between five and seven questions. Good luck to all and remember to prepare for not only the testing, but interviewing skills also."

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X