Portland Fire & Rescue (Oregon) recruiting 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigredtrucker View Post
    I'm still alive! Ranked right in the middle, so we'll see! Does anyone know how the ranking is weighted with the interview and PAT?
    PAT is pass fail. Not dificult but can be screwed up if not careful. Get to working out and stayy in shape and it will make life easier. I have said this countless times before.

OK just going off what has been done in the past, as far as final rankings go, in the past the scores from writtens and interviews have been combined and that score was what the final rankings are based off of. That is the past and I haven't heard how this one is going to be scored for sure this time.

In regards to ties in the rankings, what usually happens is that if there are for example 5 ties at #10 the next rank will be #15. Good luck everyone.
    www.portlandfirefighters.org
    Portland Fire Pictures/Dick Harris

http://www.finsnbeasts.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Nozzleman25 View Post
      PAT is pass fail. Not dificult but can be screwed up if not careful. Get to working out and stayy in shape and it will make life easier. I have said this countless times before.

OK just going off what has been done in the past, as far as final rankings go, in the past the scores from writtens and interviews have been combined and that score was what the final rankings are based off of. That is the past and I haven't heard how this one is going to be scored for sure this time.

In regards to ties in the rankings, what usually happens is that if there are for example 5 ties at #10 the next rank will be #15. Good luck everyone.
      With regard to the trainee list, are the rankings solely based on the intveriew scores since the written is a pass/fail?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vadim View Post
        With regard to the trainee list, are the rankings solely based on the intveriew scores since the written is a pass/fail?
        I honestly don't know how they rank the Trainee list, it is an "unranked" list that I don't know how they hire off of. It is a decent assumption that since the applicants were told the written is pass/fail then final determination will come from the interviews.
        www.portlandfirefighters.org
        Portland Fire Pictures/Dick Harris

http://www.finsnbeasts.com

Comment

• I received an email stating the days for the practice PAT sessions. Does anyone know When the actual PAT will be? I have also heard that they will be doing a round of interviews at the same time, (like and hour later). Is this true. If so, will there also be a final interview?
          I know this is a lot of questions, it's just that I have to try to plan my trips from Miami accordingly? Also..... Does anyone know when that first class is scheduled to start?
          Thansk,

Comment

• Taken directly from the FAQ page on PF&R's website...

"What are the important dates that a candidate needs to know for the 2011 exam?

April 18, 2011 – The first day the study material will be available to download on PF&R’s website.
            June 20, 2011 – The first day candidates can sign up to take PF&R’s written exam.
            August 1, 2011 – Written exam will be given at the Oregon Convention Center.
            October 7 through October 9, 2011 – Anticipated Physical Agility Testing (for those applicants who passed the written test)
            Mid November 2011 – Interviews for Firefighter Trainee candidates and interviews for top ranking Firefighter EMT-Basic/Paramedic candidates."

One of the guys from PF&R who watch this thread could probably tell you better, but my understanding was that the first class from this new list will be sometime in February.

Comment

• That's spot on to what I've heard as well.

Comment

• This is what was posted on the Portland Fire and Rescue blog on 8/19 so it is pretty recent.

FIREFIGHTER TRAINEE CANDIDATE UPDATES

PAT PRACTICE SESSIONS
                There will be five consecutive weekend practice sessions available to all candidates who passed the written exam. PF&R will offer Firefighter Trainee candidates the option of practicing the nine individual skill stations of the PAT Test before the actual test. Candidates will be invited to attend as many practice sessions as they like to work on the individual skill stations with direction, support, and coaching from PF&R firefighters.

Physical Agility Test (PAT)
                Firefighter Trainee candidates who successfully scored high enough on the written test will be invited to move onto the next portion of the exam – the Physical Agility Test (PAT). The PAT Test requires candidates to perform several tasks similar to those performed by firefighters on the job. These tasks are designed to test strength, stamina, endurance, agility and ability to work at heights. Firefighter Trainee candidates must complete the PAT Test’s nine individual skill stations within PF&R’s time standard of 8 minutes and 2 seconds. The events in the PAT test include the simulated ladder rack, hose carry, electric fan, fan placement, ladder raise, ladder halyard, body drag, foam bucket carry, simulated hose pull, and truck ladder climb. Click here to watch video footage of the PAT Test, find tips to enhance your physical agility preparedness, and read about the PAT Test exercise stations.

FIRE CHIEF'S SELECTION PANEL INTERVIEW
                Firefighter Trainee candidates who successfully pass the PAT Test will be invited to take part in the Chief’s Selection Panel Interviews. The interviews are tentatively scheduled for December 2011 and January 2012. The Chief’s Interviews are a critical phase in the applicant process as it will provide PF&R with an opportunity to meet the candidates and make an evaluation of the candidates’ knowledge, skill, and abilities. The Chief’s Interview is a structured oral interview conducted by a panel of PF&R chief officers and staff. Each candidate is asked the same set of questions and is designed to be challenging and provoke critical thinking.

FIREFIGHTER TRAINEE ELIGIBLE LIST & HIRING
                In January or February 2012, PF&R will post a two-year eligible list for the position of Firefighter Trainee and move forward with hiring selected candidates.

FIREFIGHTER EMT/PARAMEDIC CANDIDATE UPDATES

PAT PRACTICE SESSIONS
                There will be five consecutive weekend practice sessions available to all candidates who passed the written exam. PF&R will offer Firefighter Trainee candidates the option of practicing the nine individual skill stations of the PAT Test before the actual test. Candidates will be invited to attend as many practice sessions as they like to work on the individual skill stations with direction, support, and coaching from PF&R firefighters.

PAT TEST
                Eligible Firefighter EMT/Paramedic candidates who successfully scored high enough on the written test will be invited to move onto the next portion of the exam – the Physical Agility Test (PAT). The PAT Test requires candidates to perform several tasks similar to those performed by firefighters on the job. These tasks are designed to test strength, stamina, endurance, agility and ability to work at heights. Firefighter Trainee candidates must complete the PAT Test’s nine individual skill stations within PF&R’s time standard of 8 minutes and 2 seconds. The events in the PAT test include the simulated ladder rack, hose carry, electric fan, fan placement, ladder raise, ladder halyard, body drag, foam bucket carry, simulated hose pull, and truck ladder climb. Click here to watch video footage of the PAT Test, find tips to enhance your physical agility preparedness, and read about the PAT Test exercise stations.

FIRE CHIEF'S SELECTION PANEL INTERVIEW
                Eligible Firefighter EMT/Paramedic candidates who successfully pass the PAT Test will be invited to take part in the Chief’s Selection Panel Interviews. The interviews are tentatively scheduled for November 2011. The Chief’s Interviews are a critical phase in the applicant process as it will provide PF&R with an opportunity to meet the candidates and make an evaluation of the candidates’ knowledge, skill, and abilities. The Chief’s Interview is a structured oral interview conducted by a panel of PF&R chief officers and staff. Each candidate is asked the same set of questions and is designed to be challenging and provoke critical thinking.

FIREFIGHTER EMT/PARAMEDIC HIRING
                Firefighter EMT/Paramedic candidates who successfully pass the PAT Test will move forward into the hiring portion of the process.

Check back here on PF&R's Fire Blog for more updates on the Firefighter candidates! Good luck to everyone!

Comment

• Anyone not from the area flying out to participate in one of the practice PAT? I am just curious how many there are out there like me that have to fly out for everything. Good luck to everyone that is able to move forward in the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qinkai View Post
                    Anyone not from the area flying out to participate in one of the practice PAT? I am just curious how many there are out there like me that have to fly out for everything. Good luck to everyone that is able to move forward in the process.

Yeah, but I'm flying from CA, so it's not too bad. I wish I could make it to more than just one.

Comment

• Im debating on flying out from CA from the practice PAT, I would love to work for Portland so I'm leaning towards heading out for a practice. I might drive up though, depending on the cost breakdown.

Comment

• I'm flying out from Miami. I wish I could fly out for a practice session, but the money is tight. We still have to fly out a minimum of two more times, (PAT and Interview), so I'm going to try to set up the same type of PAT here in Miami to practice.
                        I wonder when we'll know our dates for the actual PAT test. For the written test, even though we knew well ahead of time that it was on August 1st, I didn't receive confirmation that my application was accepted until 2 weeks before the test. This made my airfare cost just under $600. Hopefully we'll have a little more notice this round. Either way....I'll be there!

Comment

• Has anyone been contacted for PAT scheduling yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by MakeTheStretch View Post
                            Has anyone been contacted for PAT scheduling yet?
                            I got a letter today with the date and time of my PAT.

Comment

• Got mine today, Oct. 9 8:45

Comment

• Rcv'd my letter! PAT October 8th. Time to book the flight!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X