Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That'll do pig.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Hmmmmm.

    During 40 years, I have never regretted eating beans and weanies and bolognia in the first couple of years. Things were tough.

    I started in a tiny town where you were expected to either be a cop, firefighter, dogcatcher or poop picker-upper. All glorious volunteer positions.

    I chose firefighting, as did my dad. But by this time he was retired so he paved no road for me. I wouldn't have expected that anyway.

    But my big opportunity came when I began to accept and then pursued every special assignment or exchange assignment that came my way. That is where I learned the most and found my purpose. Of course, in those days, they didn't give you a test... you had to know someone who knew someone else. Otherwise, you really had to stand out on your own if you wanted a job. So in some respects, it was a lot tougher than today.

    I worked terrible jobs trying to make ends meet, put myself through college for 6 six years and raised 5 kids. When my first paying jobs came along, I still had to have another job to make it work. On top of all of this struggle, my wife took my position at my department while I was on an assignment in another State for 8 months. Imagine coming back home and finding out you had been replaced... by your own wife. She had completed Academy A & B while I was away and never told me about it until I reported to my Chief upon my return. I was advised I had to earn my spot back. Ok I paved her road a bit but didn't know about it at the time.

    Ok... I can laugh about it now... but it sure made life strange then. (She outranks me in my current position so I have to be careful what I post now. I can't afford to be fired twice in one year.)

    But looky here kid... I never accompished a damn thing by giving up. I wanted to be a firefighter, but I had to be a few other things along the way as well. It isn't as easy as it seems to crack the nut... as you have found out... but you may be your own worst enemy.

    You have done nothing to make yourself stand out. You applied at departments that don't require you to know a damn thing and you're good with that? I say you shot too low and expected too much.

    Take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror. Ask yourself if you believe in yourself. Be honest, there isn't much point telling yourself a lie, you'll always find out about it later. If you want something bad enough, then you will stick it out until you get there. Otherwise... you're just like 99.9% of the other want-to-be's in the world that wanted to play with BRT, but defeated themselves.

    If you still believe in yourself, build a plan, acquire some skills and dig on for the long haul. Being a firefighter is more than a job... it is a way of life, a mission, a deep down understanding that your personal pain and suffering is nothing compared to what the people you swear to protect go through.

    It is not about being special or becoming a hero. If that is your dream, then forget it, you are way too dangerous to the rest of us.




    Nuf Said.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by SFAlumberjack View Post
      Good reading jackass...10 tests in 2 years. And don't pretend to know my situation and tell me what I could or could not have done. I HAVE been working bullsh*t crappy jobs, and all this travel has taken away from funds that could have gone to certs/emt. That is why I only tested departments that didn't require it...obviously. Thanks for ur input though.
      Oh my golly gosh and gee wilikers...I am so sorry I miss-typed 4 tests instead of 10. I surely hope you can forgive me.

      I worked crappy jobs, was married, we had our first child, and I STILL MANAGED to be a volunteer firefighter and earn my fire certs, and a volunteer EMT, in another town, and earned my EMT-B. My point is your are saying your rejections are too much to bear, yet you haven't done one single thing to improve your chances at becoming a firefighter. IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH YOU WILL DO WHAT IT TAKES TO GET THERE. If you don't have the stomch or the fortitude to suffer a little on the front end to get the payoff on the back end then you are right, this isn't the career for you.

      By the way, I know your situation exactly, you figured with absolutely no prep work you would skate into a fire department job and be set for life. I know far too many guys like you who say they want something and then do the absolute minimum to get it and then whine about how unfair life is. I have more empathy and respect for the guys who bust their hump working 12 hour days and still go to fire school or EMT school at night to improve themselves. They are still winners whether they get the career gig or not.

      My advice? Get off your *** and go down to the local volly house and sign up. Get some training, get some experience, get your certs and keep trying. IF you truly want it you will work to impove your chances and make it happen. If this is who you are I wish you much luck and success. If you can't be bothered to work hard enough to get there, then my original advice stands, this isn't for you and find something else to do.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

      Comment


      • #18
        Although, in majority "big city" departments the qualifications are just needing a GED and 18 years of age. I can see where the feeling of hopelessness comes into play where MANY people get the job out of luck. I can guranatee alot of people who did get on just went for the paycheck and "status" of being a hero. Many people don't deserve the position they have recieved.

        FyredUp-
        Yes getting certs and schooling improves chances of being hired, but only to those departments that make them their requirments. From what I understand he has only applied to those which didn't require any, whereas the certs wouldn't mean squat diddly!
        Last edited by EgressOne; 02-11-2011, 10:51 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
          FyredUp has his opinions, don't worry about him. I'd keep pressing on, it's not all that often that someone gets hired right out of the box. FWIW, it took me three years to get on the job.
          Yes, I do have my opinions. One of which is "excuses are like *******s everyone has one" and that is how I view his inablity to find time or money in almost 2 years to do one single thing to increase his hiring potential.

          It took you 3 years? It took me 11 years to get my first full time fire gig. I did not sit still, I did not bemoan my situation, I WORKED, got myself educated and trained. I traveled all over Wisconsin and a few times into Illinois looking for a fire job. I swore I would NEVER give up, but I planned and prepped incase it never happened.
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by EgressOne View Post
            I can guranatee alot of people who did get on just went for the paycheck and "status" of being a hero. Many people don't deserve the position they have recieved.
            Oh boy......
            Career Fire Captain
            Volunteer Chief Officer


            Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by SFAlumberjack View Post
              No certs or EMT. Bachelors in Bus. Admin.
              So you haven't put fourth the effort to make yourself marketable to any department.

              Gee, I can't see why you haven't been hired based on your Business Administration credentials alone. Surely cannot be because of your winning attitude and sense of entitlement. Can't tell you how many businessmen I have seen and the first thing I say is "Damn, he would make a great firefighter even without training."

              Want sympathy? It is in the dictionary between S-H-I-T and Syphilis.

              Get a job, pay your bills. Get a fire education (FFI & II, HAZMAT OPS), there are full time academies, night schools, even freaking online. If you want it you'll just freaking do it. Apply for every department you can, you cannot afford to be picky when it comes to a first job.
              ~Drew
              Firefighter/EMT/Technical Rescue
              USAR TF Rescue Specialist

              Comment


              • #22
                Perhaps I am wrong to say this, but one thing that helped me was not having anything that fryedup is selling. (no offense bro) My Chief (130+member Metro Career) told me that they prefer clean slates that they can write on what they want, not try to erase podunks way of firefighting. His words, not mine. (but I surely agree) What I did do was take multiple public speaking courses which helped me big time in all my oral boards. I also would go home and write down any and all questions from the written tests...So after 2 years I was able to study over actual test material to prepare. Helped me. Im not saying maybe being a EMT or Paramedic wouldnt certainly help, but I might be careful showing up with every cert in the book, a pager on your hip, and a volly shirt on your back. You can imagine being chief.....hire the self proclaimed fire god, or the clueless, willing to learn newbie with a shirt and a tie?.......Just trying to look at both sides of the aisle here.
                trucked.
                "It's a living thing brian..."

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                  Yes, I do have my opinions. One of which is "excuses are like *******s everyone has one" and that is how I view his inablity to find time or money in almost 2 years to do one single thing to increase his hiring potential.

                  It took you 3 years? It took me 11 years to get my first full time fire gig. I did not sit still, I did not bemoan my situation, I WORKED, got myself educated and trained. I traveled all over Wisconsin and a few times into Illinois looking for a fire job. I swore I would NEVER give up, but I planned and prepped incase it never happened.
                  Gotta agree with you on this one took me 7 years, many certs and an academy on my own dime. I also joined the military to get an edge did three years in the military. I finally got my first full time position last June after testing at a couple hundred departments in pretty much every state in from Missouri to the Virginia and anywhere in between all on my own dime with no money. Only 10 test give me a break that's nothing I tested 10 times in the first couple of months of trying to get hired you on test 10 time in almost 2 years maybe you should put in more effort.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Truckedup, I know exactly what you mean. My department (525+ career) could care LESS if you have a zillion cert's or none at all. It's about preparing yourself (CPAT practice, etc) and going into the interview phase with a confident air and explaining to them why you deserve the job over the next guy in line for the interview - not that I would explain it quite like that!

                    I spent 3 years as a recruit school instructor, and I'd take a SWAG that on average, only about 40% of our recruits had any fire service experience at all.
                    Career Fire Captain
                    Volunteer Chief Officer


                    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                      Truckedup, I know exactly what you mean. My department (525+ career) could care LESS if you have a zillion cert's or none at all. It's about preparing yourself (CPAT practice, etc) and going into the interview phase with a confident air and explaining to them why you deserve the job over the next guy in line for the interview - not that I would explain it quite like that!

                      I spent 3 years as a recruit school instructor, and I'd take a SWAG that on average, only about 40% of our recruits had any fire service experience at all.
                      In my area The city you don't need anything but in the county you have to have an academy and a medic license to get hired pretty much. There are very few departments in the county that you can have an emt license but still need the academy. Your only hope without academy is a medic license.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                        Truckedup, I know exactly what you mean. My department (525+ career) could care LESS if you have a zillion cert's or none at all. It's about preparing yourself (CPAT practice, etc) and going into the interview phase with a confident air and explaining to them why you deserve the job over the next guy in line for the interview - not that I would explain it quite like that!

                        I spent 3 years as a recruit school instructor, and I'd take a SWAG that on average, only about 40% of our recruits had any fire service experience at all.
                        Sounds just like the brass here at home. And they said the clueless ones are the ideal recruits and make for great probies. Im a 3rd generation truckie and my old man wouldnt even let me sniff the door of a volly department. Said that life would be easier with no experience. It worked and I still thank him all the time for knowing what was best for me. Life was easier when everything the T.O. said was gospel. Lol.
                        "It's a living thing brian..."

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by jtucker1384 View Post
                          In my area The city you don't need anything but in the county you have to have an academy and a medic license to get hired pretty much. There are very few departments in the county that you can have an emt license but still need the academy. Your only hope without academy is a medic license.
                          Perhaps another area then? Or do what you must to make yourself the best candidate for whichever department you want to work for. But if thats the case, stick to what fyredup was saying and forget what I was saying. If you needs certs and EMT to be considered, then go get em'. Keep your head up. Each day I step off the rig I love my job. Everybody should have a shot at that.
                          "It's a living thing brian..."

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by truckedup133 View Post
                            Perhaps another area then? Or do what you must to make yourself the best candidate for whichever department you want to work for. But if thats the case, stick to what fyredup was saying and forget what I was saying. If you needs certs and EMT to be considered, then go get em'. Keep your head up. Each day I step off the rig I love my job. Everybody should have a shot at that.
                            I have a full time position now. I also have the academy and my EMT. I was just making a statement to the people saying you are better off have no certs I was just giving a perspective from my area. I also agree I love my job everyday to and would not give it up for anything.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by jtucker1384 View Post
                              I have a full time position now. I also have the academy and my EMT. I was just making a statement to the people saying you are better off have no certs I was just giving a perspective from my area. I also agree I love my job everyday to and would not give it up for anything.
                              Yep, Im the idiot. Lol I reread and understand. Hopefully SFA gets our point.
                              "It's a living thing brian..."

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by truckedup133 View Post
                                Yep, Im the idiot. Lol I reread and understand. Hopefully SFA gets our point.
                                No problem

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X