That'll do pig.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That'll do pig.

Well, after having tested in 10 different cities over the past 20 months and making it to 4 interviews during the process, this last rejection is to much to handle. Time to move on and seek employment elsewhere. I hear the oil industry is pretty booming right now. Think I'll start there and hang up these aspirations...Good luck to those that stick with it.

20 months

So you given it 20 months and your throwing in the towel. There are many who have tried much longer than you and are still at it. If you want something bad enough you'll stick with it. Obviously you don't and are moving on. So be it...I'm sure those who will move up in line because your not in it is a blessing to them..Good luck drilling for oil.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

10 cities and 4 rejections in a span of not even 2 years.
      It took me close to 9 with a lot more rejections than that.
      I knew it's what I wanted to do and had to clear some hurdles along the way to get here, but I did it. And yes, I too felt a little down every now and then. But I didn't give up.

It all starts with attitude.

Four rejections and this last one was hard to handle? What'd they do? Kick your dog?

Four is nothing.
      Good luck!

Comment

Hard to wait around when ur broke. Maybe after I make some black gold I can give it another shot.

I'm sure ill get the itch again and start over. Not that itch. They make a cream for that one.

Comment

Nothing says you have to wait around, get another job while you are testing. I had a job I hated for years at the same time I was testing. It look me 4 years and many dept's may keep you on a list for years and years in this economy...I took the test for the dep't I will be entering 2 years ago...same list. No reason to give up.

Comment

I must agree it took me 4 years and two months of testing and interviewing, but who's counting I finally received an offer last month with a dream department! If you want it bad enough you will stick it out..

Comment

Am I the only one thinking this guy is just trolling here...jerking our chains?

Comment

He was at a testing process I went through recently, or atleast knew details of it so I am pretty sure he was, never met him in person that I know of. Probably just discouraged like a lot of us, finances can make it rough but you have to hang in there and test where you can and keep trying even if you have to limit it to places local to save money while working a part time job or anything else to pay the bills for the time being.

Comment

Sfa

What state are you in??

Do you have any certs/ emt????
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
                    Sfa

What state are you in??

Do you have any certs/ emt????
                    Currently Tennessee but from Texas. No certs or EMT. Bachelors in Bus. Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAlumberjack View Post
                      Currently Tennessee but from Texas. No certs or EMT. Bachelors in Bus. Admin.
                      Let's see 20 months, 4 rejections, no firefighter certifications or EMT.

Wow! You really want this job don't you? In those 20 months you couldn't find a volly FD to join to get some experience and a pathway to your FF certifications? You couldn't find a volunteer or private ambulance service to join or go to work for to get your BASIC EMT class? Really? In 20 months you should have been able to become an EMT basic AND get FF1 and 2 certified, as well as pump operator certified. Hell, you could have gotten your paramedic license in less than 20 months.

Boo Hoo...you didn't get the first 4 jobs you tried for. My heart bleeds for you. It took me 11 years to get my first FF job and I was there 7 years before I got hired at my second FF job. Guess what? Until I got hired the first time I worked at a bunch of crappy jobs to pay my bills. But I also went to school, got my EMT got my FF certs up through officer and instructor, got haz-mat certified, and was a volunteer firefighter, a POC firefighter, and a part-timer relief officer on a combination FD. What I did not do is EXPECT someone to hand me a firefighting job just because I showed up for the test. I didn't EXPECT someone else to pay my bills while I looked for a FF job. I made my luck by getting advanced training.

My take on this? Good bye and good riddance, the fire service doesn't need people that won't do a damn thing to make themselves more hirable than to simply show up for the test.
                      Last edited by FyredUp; 02-11-2011, 06:41 PM.
                      Crazy, but that's how it goes
                      Millions of people living as foes
                      Maybe it's not too late
                      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Wow

Well I see how you get your name Fyredup. Please don't hold anything back.
                        Respectfully,
                        Jay Dudley
                        Retired Fire
                        Background Investigator
                        IACOJ-Member
                        Lifetime Member CSFA
                        IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Originally posted by JayDudley View Post
                          Well I see how you get your name Fyredup. Please don't hold anything back.
                          Yepper, somethings wind me up tight and this guy hit all the right buttons.

He hasn't done a damn thing to make himself more employable in the 20 months he has been trying to get a job. Then he comes on here after 4 tests and says this:
                          this last rejection is to much to handle. Time to move on and seek employment elsewhere.
                          Seriously? No REALLY, SERIOUSLY? You have got to be ****ting me. I didn't know whether to laugh hysterically at yet another example of the entitlement of a job in the fire serrvice that some believe, or be incredibly sad that 4 attempts in 2 years has crushed this guys dream of being a firefighter. Either way, BUH BYE, we don't need him. He should go to the oil fields.
                          Crazy, but that's how it goes
                          Millions of people living as foes
                          Maybe it's not too late
                          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                            Yepper, somethings wind me up tight and this guy hit all the right buttons.

He hasn't done a damn thing to make himself more employable in the 20 months he has been trying to get a job. Then he comes on here after 4 tests and says this: Seriously? No REALLY, SERIOUSLY? You have got to be ****ting me. I didn't know whether to laugh hysterically at yet another example of the entitlement of a job in the fire serrvice that some believe, or be incredibly sad that 4 attempts in 2 years has crushed this guys dream of being a firefighter. Either way, BUH BYE, we don't need him. He should go to the oil fields.
                            Good reading jackass...10 tests in 2 years. And don't pretend to know my situation and tell me what I could or could not have done. I HAVE been working bullsh*t crappy jobs, and all this travel has taken away from funds that could have gone to certs/emt. That is why I only tested departments that didn't require it...obviously. Thanks for ur input though.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAlumberjack View Post
                              Good reading jackass...10 tests in 2 years. And don't pretend to know my situation and tell me what I could or could not have done. I HAVE been working bullsh*t crappy jobs, and all this travel has taken away from funds that could have gone to certs/emt. That is why I only tested departments that didn't require it...obviously. Thanks for ur input though.
                              FyredUp has his opinions, don't worry about him. I'd keep pressing on, it's not all that often that someone gets hired right out of the box. FWIW, it took me three years to get on the job.
                              Career Fire Captain
                              Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X