Take Job or go through Medic??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Csvt18
    How many more weeks do you have left to finish the class????
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
      Csvt18
      How many more weeks do you have left to finish the class????
      Just started a couple weeks ago. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by csvt18 View Post
        Just started a couple weeks ago. Lol
        Good lord, with only two weeks in the class, I don't even think that this would create a dilemma...take the job if offered!
        Career Fire Captain
        Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
          Good lord, with only two weeks in the class, I don't even think that this would create a dilemma...take the job if offered!
          But it is creating one due to the fact that if the economy stays the same or gets even worse, I basically wont be able to apply to any other FD... Also, if any other desirable ALS FDs hire, id like to apply.

Comment

So if your intention is to jump ship the first chance you get, why did you test with them in the first place? Kind of a waste of their time, resources and money I think.

It sounds like your goal is to get on with an ALS provider FD. If that's the case, I take it back and say stay in the class in order to make yourself marketable to the departments you really want. The market, economy and jobs will turn around but probably not for awhile. Get yourself lined up to be where you want.

*Plus as Capt Bob said, there are departments that will ultimately send you to medic school. I can attest to that for a few of my friends who were put through medic school after being hired and given that opportunity.

Good luck.
            Last edited by ffbam24; 02-09-2011, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by csvt18 View Post
              But it is creating one due to the fact that if the economy stays the same or gets even worse, I basically wont be able to apply to any other FD... Also, if any other desirable ALS FDs hire, id like to apply.
              I don't quite follow why you wouldn't be able to apply with another FD? Who would stop you? Or are you implying that your "dream" FD won't be taking applications?

From the sound of things, you have a job now that's paying the bills, so if you heart is set on being a FF/Medic and not just having a FF job, maybe you should stay in class.

However, I agree with Bam: why did you even test with the first FD if you knew this was a possibility?
              Career Fire Captain
              Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                I don't quite follow why you wouldn't be able to apply with another FD? Who would stop you? Or are you implying that your "dream" FD won't be taking applications?

From the sound of things, you have a job now that's paying the bills, so if you heart is set on being a FF/Medic and not just having a FF job, maybe you should stay in class.

However, I agree with Bam: why did you even test with the first FD if you knew this was a possibility?
                I tested way before this medic class even started and way before I knew I'd even get an interview with this FD. What I was trying to say when I said I won't be able to apply to other FD's, is that 98% of the FD's around my area are full ALS, and require your medic cert to even apply..... including the FD I grew up around, and desire very much. I would LOVE to work full time on this dept. AND attend medic class. I'd just have to figure out how to work around the days I have class....
                Last edited by csvt18; 02-09-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X