Anyone used 911interviews.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used 911interviews.com?

Just curious if anyone else has used 911interviews.com and what your thoughts are on it?

Little background on me and how I'd like to use this tool:

I've been using the eatstress materials too, developing my own answers and rehearsing them with a tape recorder, but I was thinking that I could really benefit from seeing other candidates and people’s opinions on where they think the candidate’s answers need to be.

I think, for me, it would help to see and hear the difference between a great answer and a not so great one. I don't plan on using this site to copy any of the answers (I know that's not going to help), but mostly just using it as a format to follow to keep my answers concise, organized and clear. I’m more of a visual guy anyways.

Thanks for any feedback and experience you may have with this site.

Interviews are where I really can make up the most ground in the process as I usually struggle with them.

Stay safe.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

YJ-

I haven't heard of anyone using 911interviews though I have looked at the site. The most common (and seemingly most effective) has been to use Capt. Bob's stuff and then get a private coaching session if you still aren't scoring well. I used his stuff and didn't end up needing the coaching after practicing religiously for a few months. I like Chief Lepore's book on the oral board, also. (I believe he offers coaching as well.)

My blog, www.gethiredbyfire.com has an article called "Everything You've Done..." which people seem to really like when it comes to answering the "Tell us about yourself" question. I wrote the article because that question really sets the tone for the whole exam and sets you up for success. (Its free...)

Best of luck and preparation!

Paul C.
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Comment

I used Chief Lepore's book and found it to be very beneficial in regards to the oral interview. It helped get me prepared for a fire department interview, which I'm sure you know is completely different from any other interview. Also get together with someone and mock interview, that probably helped me the most! Good luck, and keep at it.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

You know, where I continue to get stuck is that I go through thinking out my own personal answers, get them down on paper and am happy with them, but then when I am memorizing them and rehersing them I am constantly finding things that I don't like about them and changing them. I can't seem to get over this hurdle.

Any thoughts on what helped you get through this part of your process?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

If you haven't yet, I used the "It's Your Turn In the Hotseat" CD's that Capt Bob has. Those were real eye openers for great and how not to sound answers.

Comment

YJ-

You just illustrated your problem perfectly! Now it'll be very easy to fix...

Your goal isn't to memorize them or even "perfect" them...All you should be doing is answering the questions over and over and over out loud to yourself, a video camera, a recorder, while driving longer distances, etc.

There are certain "highlights" you'd like to hit in your answers, but what is really important is that you come across as natural (ie YOURSELF) and prepared for the process.

Never write down anything more than an outline of points you'd like to hit in your answers...

Hope this helps.

PaulC.
            PaulC
            FF/EMTP

Comment

Originally posted by PaulC. View Post
              My blog, www.gethiredbyfire.com has an article called "Everything You've Done..." which people seem to really like when it comes to answering the "Tell us about yourself" question. I wrote the article because that question really sets the tone for the whole exam and sets you up for success. (Its free...)

Best of luck and preparation!

Paul C.
              Thanks for the link too Paul. Too much advise, tips and encouragement is never a bad thing. Just skimming your article I have already found plenty of useful things, so I will be diving into it more when I have more time.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PaulC. View Post
                YJ-

You just illustrated your problem perfectly! Now it'll be very easy to fix...

Your goal isn't to memorize them or even "perfect" them...All you should be doing is answering the questions over and over and over out loud to yourself, a video camera, a recorder, while driving longer distances, etc.

There are certain "highlights" you'd like to hit in your answers, but what is really important is that you come across as natural (ie YOURSELF) and prepared for the process.

Never write down anything more than an outline of points you'd like to hit in your answers...

Hope this helps.

PaulC.
                This makes sense, so much sense that I feel silly not realizing it myself.

Pretty excited to try this process again with a new perspective on my goal.

Many thanks.

Comment

Use of 911interviews.com

Just saw this and thought I could share my perspective. I signed up for the 911interviews.com site 2 months ago and it's been great. I've been taking mock interviews over the last year through friends and associates within the fire service. Just recently, I took a interview class and received incredible feedback for the first time. The chief and captain that team teach the class said I did very well with the depth and understanding of the questions while answering.

I really liked the 911interviews.com format. They've got 150 videos now, firefighter series and a pro-series. I really liked watching the interviews and the feedback from actual FF, captain and chief officers that sit on boards from around the country. They even have a guy from pay pal that makes comments from a private sector perspective.

One of the disadvantages to captain bobs stuff is the price. Some of the guys in my college can afford the hefty price for one on one coaching but I can't. (300-400 bucks wow) For $35 buck, not sure your going to find a better deal out their that provides a great learning platform. If so, please respond to this thread.

Lastly, one of my cousins, who is a retired lieutenant from FDNY say use all the resources you can. 911interviews is something I recommend and a lot of my fellow students at our college are using it. Hope this helps. Now if we can get these cities and counties to start hiring again all would be good

Jimmy
                  Last edited by Jimmywill; 02-14-2011, 01:11 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

911interviews.com site

I just joined here and I just joined 911interviews.com. I've had a great experience on the site including some immediate feedback from one of the 25 instructors that run the site. I emailed a few questions to them regarding a particular question and they got right back to me. I've been on other sites and they are cool as well, but some are really hard to follow with flashing lights and everything. I'm younger and really liked how the video program was layed out. I've been on the site for two months and till have plenty of videos to watch.
                    I liked Chief Lepore's book, but I'm not much into reading. I've grown up with watching and learning. Books are great and I've purchased his but I agree with the other thread, 35 dollars to access a ton of information that I found helpful is tough to beat. Books are great but its one persons perspective vs. a ton of feedback from different officers and assessors. Hope this helped out.
                    Dominic

Comment

Hi guys,

I think that feedback is huge, and its MOST valuable when it comes from experienced oral board raters. The problem with most mock orals is that they're done with friends and others that may not have the proper perspective. I'm going to check out 911interviews and see if I'd recommend it for sure, but it sounds great for the money. I also believe video examples and coaching trumps books overall due to the greater sensory experience. (and this is all coming from a guy who is writing a book...lol)

I agree with Jimmy in that Capt. Bob's private coaching is difficult to afford (but worth it in the long run for sure if you need it.)

Drop me a pm here if there's anything you'd like to know more about regarding the oral boards. Happy to answer any questions I can.

Paul C.
                      PaulC
                      FF/EMTP

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse