Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• southernfire7
    replied
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is very much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• dfwfirefighter
    replied
    When I went through my fire academy for the department I work for, I was already certified and had many years experience in a fire department as a career firefighter. That being said, I kept my mouth shut, said "yes sir/no sir" alot, applied myself, and gave 110% effort through graduation (and to this day).

Each department is different. I've seen cities where they hired certified folks and literally assign them to a fire station their first day. The other side of the spectrum is the fire department that makes you start from scratch from day one (regardless of your credentials).

Personally, I like the idea of putting people through an academy from scratch and learning things "our" (insert your department's name here) way. Not only is it a good refresher of basic fire suppression skills, but it also builds teamwork among the batch of folks you hired on with.

My department started us out with a "Come to Jesus" speech (more like a harangue) the moment we showed up for the academy. Essentially this was a "you were the best we had to pick from but if this isn't one of the most important things in your life right now, we have 50 candidates for each person in this room waiting for you to wash out or quit" speech.

We spent several days enduring the insurance, pension information, safety officer speeches, sexual harassment presentations, and etc.

We were then "turned over" the fire academy staff and then the PT, studying, and firefighting evolutions began.

Our instructors were hard on us - especially the first few months. Toward the middle and onward through the end, they assumed a mentor role instead of a "let's see if we can make you wimp out and quit" hatchet-man.

We turned out some good recruits who have gone on to do good things in our department.

Unfortunately, there is a growing pressure (both politics and sensitive people who think they are entitled to everything with little or no effort on their behalf) to stop "pushing" recruits because it hurts their feelings. The instructors have to walk on egg shells due to the pushback that they might receive if a city councilperson's neighbor's friend who got hired because of political connections complains that they had their feelings hurt because they (he, she, or "it") got a butt-chewing for making an error in a training evolution that could have caused real-world consequences.

Ironically, these are the folks that get assigned to a station, barely pass probation (or fail but are "pushed" through due to politics), cannot get along with folks, cause problems at every station they work at, and ultimately get fired or quit within a relatively short amount of time (usually alot sooner than the "return on the city's investment" on their training is realized).

If you are lucky enough to get hired, work hard, study hard, be respectful, be humble, and learn to make the best fireground decision you can with the information you have at the time.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    The first day is introductions, familiarly with the academy, beginning the issue of books, gear and lockers. Also rules and regulations of the department and the academy.

Day 2 begins line up, PT, class room, instruction in department organization, history and the basic material you will keep during your tenure.

Usually the classes begin shortly afterwards during the first week. Academies usually last from 20 to 26 weeks depending on the department and what they are instructing.

We use to push the newbie's like military recruits, but had to stop as too many people felt like we were hurting their feelings. I would rather a recruit(s) quit during the academy, than go in the field and get a company of members hurt or foul up so back that they failed their probationary period and we wasted our time as well as money on them.

Leave a comment:

• southernfire7
    replied
    I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• JayDudley
    replied
    Manual

Google Basic Firefighting manual and you'll see Basic Firefighting Manual on pdf...you can down load it ....make copies ...or just scan thru it. Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• southernfire7
    replied
    I'm in Alabama. I"ve had no prior experience with firefighting, so what kind of material should I go ahead and study to get prepared?

Leave a comment:

• fire49
    replied
    What state are you in????

Study study study then test and repeat

Do not let down till you graduate

Do not party

Keep your mouth shut

Practice the skills and then practice some more

Leave a comment:

• JayDudley
    replied
    Drill School

Many Academies are different.....You can access the action by googling orange county fire tv show and see for yourself.

Leave a comment:

• southernfire7
    started a topic Fire Academy Questions

Fire Academy Questions

I was wondering what the fire academy will be like. I understand that it will be tough both physically and mentally, but I was wondering if anybody could give me specifics on what to be prepared for. Things I would like to know are what are the instructors like? Is it like boot camp where the instructors are in your face all day? What is the first day like at the academy? Typically how are days divided up(like how much is classroom and how much is field training)? Those are just to name a few. Any additional insight into what the academy is like will be much appreciated. Thanks.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X