Bridgeport, CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridgeport, CT

Exam this spring. Must have CPAT appointment through the state. Dead line is 2/25/11. Check ciy of Bridgeport's web site for more info.

thought it said just a valid CPAT card?

Comment

Looks like if you have a CPAT card from an accredited department you should be good to go. If not you have the pay the $150.00 CPAT fee.

Bridgeport residents DO get preference.

Comment

Given that this is Bridgeport... You will also be disqualified if you are white or if you do not have a felony on your record. Good luck with that one.
        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Anyone know anything about the testing process? What kind of test, oral board, etc? I'm not a Bridgeport resident, does anyone know how many extra points they get?

Comment

- If hired, do you have to live in Bridgeport?
            - What's the state of the economy in Bridgeport? Have any city departments laid off recently?
            - How intense is the academy?
            - How often are you transferred around the city?
            - Max pay for firemen and how long until top pay?
            - Morale of the troops?
            - Does Admin harp on minor B.S.? Or, do they treat you like adults?

Comment

Originally posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
              - If hired, do you have to live in Bridgeport?
              - What's the state of the economy in Bridgeport? Have any city departments laid off recently?
              - How intense is the academy?
              - How often are you transferred around the city?
              - Max pay for firemen and how long until top pay?
              - Morale of the troops?
              - Does Admin harp on minor B.S.? Or, do they treat you like adults?
              No, you do not have to live in the city when hired. The economy is the same as any New England city-crap. The academy MAY be the CT state academy or in house. Same as any other rookie school. You get moved around sometimes. 8 stations in 16 miles, so it's not like you go to the other side of the world. 54k is top step, but new contract is close. Morale is good. Chief is about to retire, and all other chief's are with in a few years of going, so could be some changes coming. All of that is on the city web site. Table of org. shows us at about 70 short. We have about 125 coming up on 25 years in the next few(myself included) so there could be alot more going. If not for the uncertain economic times, this is the test to take. It could be the biggest hiring since I came on. We hired almost 200 from 1987 to 1990. Not bad for what was a 400 man job. We are now at 300 total. Bottom line is if you want a gritty New England city and all that comes with it,then c'mon down. If you want to get rich and stay clean ....keep away!
              Last edited by RichT.; 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM. Reason: re-wording

Comment

Originally posted by RichT. View Post
                No, you do not have to live in the city when hired. The economy is the same as any New England city-crap. The academy MAY be the CT state academy or in house. Same as any other rookie school. You get moved around sometimes. 8 stations in 16 miles, so it's not like you go to the other side of the world. 54k is top step, but new contract is close. Morale is good. Chief is about to retire, and all other chief's are with in a few years of going, so could be some changes coming. All of that is on the city web site. Table of org. shows us at about 70 short. We have about 125 coming up on 25 years in the next few(myself included) so there could be alot more going. If not for the uncertain economic times, this is the test to take. It could be the biggest hiring since I came on. We hired almost 200 from 1987 to 1990. Not bad for what was a 400 man job. We are now at 300 total. Bottom line is if you want a gritty New England city and all that comes with it,then c'mon down. If you want to get rich and stay clean ....keep away!
                Rich, I PM'd you...thanks.

Comment

Just pulled up the fiscal 2010 - 2011 budget. Sounds like they are need to hire 35, as of the date the budget was adopted, to bring the department up to "full budgeted staffing" (366 FF's). Here's the link.

http://www.bridgeportct.gov/Officeof...IRE%202011.pdf

Rich, is there only preference points for Bridgeport residents that you know of?? By the way, thanks for your insight.

Thank you sir.

TH
                  Last edited by Adam_Smith; 02-01-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Bridgeport is pretty close to my house this is tempting..sounds like this is the list to be on

Comment

I'm going to give it a shot. I have my CPAT certification from Fairfax County, but if I didn't there would be no way I was paying $150.00 to get on a list just to be beat out by Bridgeport residents.

Comment

Originally posted by RichT. View Post
                        Exam this spring. Must have CPAT appointment through the state. Dead line is 2/25/11. Check ciy of Bridgeport's web site for more info.
                        Why is this all I can find on the city website:

The City of Bridgeport will formally announce a written examination date for entry level firefighter in the Spring of 2011. Applications will not be available in the Civil Service office until the examination is officially announced.

Comment

Anyone willing to answer some questions about Bridgeport (and the area) via PM???? I've got a few....

Comment

Has anybody heard anymore about when they will announce testing dates? I assume it will be after the last CPAT class is finished with because they said you need to have it to take the test. I kinda don't mind waiting because I'm finishing up with my EMT class this week and this is giving me time to pass the NREMT test and apply with EMT-B under my belt.

Comment

The test won't be coming out until around November. Apparently, there have been "problems" with minority groups not gettin enough information or access to take CPAT exam so I believe they are extending it to the fall exam as well.......take it as you will

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X