Age Limit Requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Limit Requirements?

Does anyone know the reason for age limits with Civil Service departments?

I imagine the knee jerk reaction is that age = not fit enough to be a firefighter. But if that was the case...

1) I'm in extremely good shape for any age, and can run circles around some of the overweight 24 year olds I see

2) If 37 (or whatever) is too old, then why don't departments force retirement at that age? Either over that age is too old or it's not. Make sense?

3) It can't be work ethic or willingness to do the rookie work. i've heard form too many senior firemen that the younger kids often live up to the "entitled" label they get.

I know I won't change the system, but hope to understand it so it's not so prone to ****ing me off. ;-)

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't think all Civil Serv Depts have a max age. Maybe just the ones in your area or the ones that you are looking at, but I bet if you did a little searching you would find some good options.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Comment

Believe it has to do with the retirement systems and the age limit

Not a physical thing. That is kind taken care of during the hiring process, academy, and probation period
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

I believe the main reason departments set a cutoff (usually around 35 yo) is because if you put in your 25 years, that puts you at 60. Now, you may be able to run circles around people now, but given the span of your career, do you think you'll still be able to do that when you're approaching 60?

If you're 37 now (I'm assuming because that's the number you put in the post), figure a year for the testing process, that puts you on the job at 38. You'll be good to retire at age 63. I'm sure there's some 63 year olds out there that can do the job, but the chances are, most won't be able to.

So the reason there's a cutoff is really for safety. The department's don't want to put people in the situations we face who physically can't handle it anymore.

Comment

What about females

Originally posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
          I believe the main reason departments set a cutoff (usually around 35 yo) is because if you put in your 25 years, that puts you at 60. Now, you may be able to run circles around people now, but given the span of your career, do you think you'll still be able to do that when you're approaching 60?

If you're 37 now (I'm assuming because that's the number you put in the post), figure a year for the testing process, that puts you on the job at 38. You'll be good to retire at age 63. I'm sure there's some 63 year olds out there that can do the job, but the chances are, most won't be able to.

So the reason there's a cutoff is really for safety. The department's don't want to put people in the situations we face who physically can't handle it anymore.

Sounds like good reasoning to me! But let's also touch on a very untouchable subject in the fire service and that is the large number of females that come up short in physical performance on the job. Once these females are hired (due to lowered physical standards) by departments that insist on showing their political correctness and diversity way too many are found to not be able to hold up their end of the job. Now this applies to lots of them who are young, recently hired personnel. Now what can be done with these women? More often than not, someone else has to take up the slack and either do for them what they are unable to do, or steer them to a position that doesn't require as much physical effort, such as fire prevention, administrative duties,etc--you know what I mean! Now let's talk about these women when they get older, which everyone eventually does. How safe will the public feel with a all-female fire company headed by a gray-headed, female officer, who is now even less able to physically perform. That is possibly the reason why you almost never see a older female under that scenario--they have long ago been "promoted" into a position where this rarely happens. I would like to see some commentary on this subject from the career firefighters that dare!
          Last edited by steer94; 01-27-2011, 12:36 PM.

Comment

How safe will the public feel with a male fire company headed by a gray-headed, male officer, who is now even less able to physically perform
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Age Limit Requirements

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
              How safe will the public feel with a male fire company headed by a gray-headed, male officer, who is now even less able to physically perform
              You can find the answer to this question from the public right now just by asking. A good share of fire companies have in the past and currently are headed by gray-headed male officers. The question you need to ask the public is---Would your concerns be heightened if your loved ones were in a house on fire and the first responding fire company was an all-female crew and the company officer was a grey-headed female officer?

Comment

As we all know, with age, does not necessarily include maturity.
                Just like that Just For Men hair color commercial; a touch of grey indicates experience.

Comment

Originally posted by steer94 View Post
                  Sounds like good reasoning to me! But let's also touch on a very untouchable subject in the fire service and that is the large number of females that come up short in physical performance on the job. Once these females are hired (due to lowered physical standards) by departments that insist on showing their political correctness and diversity way too many are found to not be able to hold up their end of the job. Now this applies to lots of them who are young, recently hired personnel. Now what can be done with these women? More often than not, someone else has to take up the slack and either do for them what they are unable to do, or steer them to a position that doesn't require as much physical effort, such as fire prevention, administrative duties,etc--you know what I mean! Now let's talk about these women when they get older, which everyone eventually does. How safe will the public feel with a all-female fire company headed by a gray-headed, female officer, who is now even less able to physically perform. That is possibly the reason why you almost never see a older female under that scenario--they have long ago been "promoted" into a position where this rarely happens. I would like to see some commentary on this subject from the career firefighters that dare!
                  Oh many dare. You may want to try the search function.

Personally, I think the problem of overweight, racist, misogynistic, alcoholic male firefighters is more of a problem in the fire service than that of an all female fire crew.

I get the feeling this response stems from you having the impression that you were at one time 'passed over' by a female co worker. You may want to sit down and do some serious self reflection, and accept the fact that she may have, indeed, been better than you. She may have, indeed, deserved the position in your place. This placement had nothing to do with her gender, rather your inability to function at that level.

Once you take that on board, and let some of the hate go, you might be a contributing, mature member of your department. Then, only then you might have a chance at those bars.

Comment

Alot of assumptions regarding attitudes. Age will be a battle for anyone. As long as fitness is worked at, and maintained, and the wisdom of experiance applied; almost any person can be a viable firefighter into the mid sixties. Most of us aren't Jack Lalaine (R.I.P.).

When the scream of females getting the cush jobs because they started with less, and now even have less strength, and endurance, due to age is heard; if true it is a problem with administration not doing their job and an overall lack of administrative courage and leadership. It occurs, and it is wrong, but that's life.

As for the age limits. Most are to enable a young (50-58) retirement age. Often, despite the best efforts at fitness. Injuries seem to become a frequent companion after say age 45 or so. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Comment

Unsuccessful fire applicants

Originally posted by peterbound View Post
                      Oh many dare. You may want to try the search function.

Personally, I think the problem of overweight, racist, misogynistic, alcoholic male firefighters is more of a problem in the fire service than that of an all female fire crew.

I get the feeling this response stems from you having the impression that you were at one time 'passed over' by a female co worker. You may want to sit down and do some serious self reflection, and accept the fact that she may have, indeed, been better than you. She may have, indeed, deserved the position in your place. This placement had nothing to do with her gender, rather your inability to function at that level.

Once you take that on board, and let some of the hate go, you might be a contributing, mature member of your department. Then, only then you might have a chance at those bars.
                      You appear to be a bitter person, evidently due to your inability to get a job as a civilian, career firefighter. Maybe the applicant selection process really works like it is meant to. Maybe you aren't cut out to be in the fire service and should pursue another career. I am a former fire captain (now retired) from a large metropolitan area fire department. Nothing speaks louder than having been there and done that!

Comment

You appear to be a bitter person, evidently due to your inability to get a job as a civilian, career firefighter. Maybe the applicant selection process really works like it is meant to. Maybe you aren't cut out to be in the fire service and should pursue another career. I am a former fire captain (now retired) from a large metropolitan area fire department. Nothing speaks louder than having been there and done that!
                        Well, while i appreciate your misguided analysis of my fire fighting career, suffice to say that i have, indeed served in the capacity of a fire fighter on many levels, for several agencies (Civilian, Contract, Federal, and Military).

So, in the parlance of our times. Stop being a hater, grow the fuq up, and quit whining about the evils of those crazy female fire fighters.

Enjoy retirement, and don't die of a stress induced heart attack brought on by fretting over the great female/minority conspiracy creeping it's way into the fire service.

Comment

Needed help for peterbound!

These posts have gotten way off-track regarding age limits for testing, but my last post to you is some constructive advice;

Among all the personnel involved in the Phoenix Fire Department testing process (in which department you claim to have inside information) don't you realize that maybe just one of them might view your posts? You have given out your exact test score and now they could determine who you are! Doing these types of things could contribute to your not getting the badge. Good luck and start thinking before you post.

Comment

As a 39 year old female, somewhat gray-haired, aspiring firefighter, I wanted to submit my very humble opinion.
                            I just finished a 7 year career as a commissioned deputy in county corrections, and never asked for any special treatment. I worked hard in the jail and in the gym, kept my mouth shut until I had at least two years in, and never backed down from a fight or confrontation. I did my best to earn the respect of my co-workers, male or female.
                            If I'm just not cut out to be a firefighter, I'll gracefully back down, and move on with my life. But I intend to keep training hard, applying for jobs, and if a department is kind enough to give me the opportunity to earn a badge, I will keep working hard, be humble, and earn my spurs like anyone else. I would hate to meet the female firefighter that expects special treatment. I would not want to trust my own or anyone else's life to her. The idea makes me a little ashamed to be a woman, to be honest.
                            I did a station visit with the Colorado Springs Fire Department in December with the ladies of Station 18. They have a four-woman crew, engineer, paramedic, EMT and station officer. 23 women work for that department.
                            I hate to be the bearer of bad news.
                            Just my .02 cents, be safe and have a good day, everybody.

Comment

These posts have gotten way off-track regarding age limits for testing, but my last post to you is some constructive advice;

Among all the personnel involved in the Phoenix Fire Department testing process (in which department you claim to have inside information) don't you realize that maybe just one of them might view your posts? You have given out your exact test score and now they could determine who you are! Doing these types of things could contribute to your not getting the badge. Good luck and start thinking before you post.
                              Fella, what part of these posts don't you get? I have a job. I'm testing at some places, sure, but again... I have a job.

As for who may or may not see this, why the heck would i care? My defense for women against your thinly veiled misogyny in no way shape or form would preclude me from any type of employment.

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension and interpersonal relations skills, doing these things could contribute to you being a half way decent human being.
                              Last edited by peterbound; 02-02-2011, 09:57 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X