high school student: need info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high school student: need info please

Im in my senior year of high school. i plan on go to a community college and earning an associates degree in fire protection. will this degree help me at all in getting hired. after i get the degree i am going to enter the fire fighting academy and earn my firefighter 1 and 2 cert. and emt cert. is this a good plan for obtaining a career in firefighting? i would really appreiciate any insight from you guys. thank you

If you're still in high school that means you're still young. Your best bet would be to join the military and get your DD214 which will basically give you a awesome shot at any department you like as long as you're a decent test taker. If you get your fire science and academy and all that you'll be in the same boat as everyone else, test...test...test...test...

Comment

so any degree related to firefighting really dosent beneifit too much to getting hired?

Comment

Where I'm from no, because they're becoming so common. However it does look good on an resume or after you've been hired and want to promote. However as far as extra credit on the exam most that I've taken don't give any extra points for a degree.

Comment

im in orlando,fl and plan on doing the central florida fire academy. i just read that extra points will be added to you ERGO test if you have any sort of degree!! but that is just the academy entrance exam

Comment

Thats good, like i said some do give you extra credit, but a lot don't give you anything. Also a lot of people have the 2 year degree in fire science and EMS so basically that just puts you equal with the competition, not a lot of people have the military experience extra credit, also every city has to give extra for military dd214 it's the law

Comment

Originally posted by mike_1225 View Post
              so any degree related to firefighting really dosent beneifit too much to getting hired?
              It all depends on where you would like to get hired. Just because one jurisdiction has this set of requirements, does not mean all the others have the same. Using Philadelphia, Pa. as an example (because I know their requirements intimately) the City of Philadelphia could care less if you have three doctorates and are a fully certified Firefighter II with IFSAC and Pro-Board Certifications. It means ZILCH, NOTHING, ZERO, NADDA, NICHTS to them. The only thing that they will take into account is a DD214, certifying that you have been honorably discharged from any branch of the United States Military. This will add 10 points onto the total of your written civil service exam. These 10 points are critical for any white male who wishes to get hired in Philly, as the minority hiring regulations will kill the dreams of white male non-vets. Getting back to the previous training, they can care less, you are not a firefighter until you get through their Fire Academy, which you don't do until you are hired.

Most cities on the East Coast from Virginia up to the New England states hire in this or a very similar fashion. Some do require college credits, but it can be for anything from Criminal Justice to American History- does not mean you need Fire Science.

I highly recommend three things:

1. Learn to use the SEARCH feature of the forums. Not breaking your chops, but many many kids like yourself come on here and ask the same questions week after week. Your questions have already been answered 95 times.

2. Figure out where you want to get hired and concentrate on that particular jurisdiction(s.) Learn what their hiring requirements are (and not by asking on here.) Learn to approach the Jurisdictions themselves (human resources offices, etc.) and find out for yourself. Folks on here may not know everything about the ins-and-outs of hiring procedures/requirements for Pigs Knuckle, Arkansas or wherever it is you want to get hired.

3. STRONGLY consider enlisting in any branch of the United States Military for a 4-year hitch. There are so many pros that outweigh the cons, it is a win-win situation for everyone, most especially yourself. Especially if you need money for college.
              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Paramedic school is something you are going to want to definitely keep in mind. This industry is headed down this path. This, in many cases, is far more important than that fire science degree. Couple that paramedic cert/license with FF1, 2, and Hazmat and you will be in prime position.

Comment

Briganp I think the fire service has already crossed the paramedic road a long time ago. Most places where I am from you have to have FF2 and Paramedic to sit for the test. So you're sitting in a test with 300 other people that have FF2 and Paramedic. DD214 is far more superior and will help you with any test anywhere.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X