Background Packet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Packet Question

I recently tested with a department, and am currently working on the background packet. One of the questions on the packet is :

" Have you ever committed a crime for which you were not caught? Explain "yes" answers below"

I was wondering how to go about this question. Should I list every little thing I can think of, from going over the speed limit, texting while driving, downloading music, etc, or just the main things?

Originally posted by firefireeverywhere View Post
    I recently tested with a department, and am currently working on the background packet. One of the questions on the packet is :

" Have you ever committed a crime for which you were not caught? Explain "yes" answers below"

I was wondering how to go about this question. Should I list every little thing I can think of, from going over the speed limit, texting while driving, downloading music, etc, or just the main things?
    Hi,

I'm currently going through backgrounds with a department and had a similar type question.

My suggestion is to be as forthcoming as you can.

Providing the investigator with more info than is needed looks better than providing them with less.

Although we did have seperate questions for the speed limit, d/l music etc..., it can never hurt.

Good luck,
    RR

Comment

Yeah, there's nothing more in depth and specific later on in this packet regarding the types, just this one question. I'm just curious to see if I should attach another sheet listing every little thing, no matter how severe or minor it may be.

Comment

Sounds like it would half way serious crimes burglary, drug sells, something you would not want them to find out about on poly
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Don't forget that a background investigation is not just a criminal investigation. It also evaluates the character (to include judgement) of a candidate.

Be honest, but use judgement... if you tell them about the time you went 46 in a 45 or took Johnny's eraser from him in second grade you could be showing a lack of judgement and what the dept feels to be common sense.

Good luck!

Comment

Background

Egrus21 is correct. I was a Background Investigator for a large Fire Department. There are questions that were asked about felonies and misdemeanors. If they ask if you've committed a crime for which you were never caught. They means felonies and misdemeanors not 6 miles over the speed limit or going through a red light. We have all done minor things in our lives but not all have done major crimes and got away with it. Just be honest and do not lie on anything......and you'll be fine.
            Respectfully,
            Jay Dudley
            Retired Fire
            Background Investigator
            IACOJ-Member
            Lifetime Member CSFA
            IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse