Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh out of High School

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by SPFD7 View Post


    But when I found out that the Air Force, Marines and Navy do not guarantee you your job prior to enlisting, neither interested me anymore.

    Wait.. What? You know that's a lie right? That the AF does indeed guarantee jobs before enlistment. Your Army recruiter got his hooks into you. Very rarely does anyone come in 'open general', and those that do end up as cops.

    Me and everyone else i know came in guaranteed for their AFSC, and i'm pretty sure the other branches are the same way. You just have to wait for what you want. The Army does not have the monopoly on job placement.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by peterbound View Post
      Wait.. What? You know that's a lie right? That the AF does indeed guarantee jobs before enlistment.
      Trust me, I went to 8 different recruiters and called an additional 4 more telling them exactly what I want and I'm willing to wait for a job slot, they don't do it anymore. If you can find me a recruiter who will get me Fire Protection guaranteed please give me his/her number.
      Last edited by SPFD7; 01-21-2011, 01:14 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        ...................
        Last edited by MFD1040; 01-03-2016, 02:41 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by MFD1040 View Post
          ok just so everyone knows i do know proper grammer, when i get on the computer and cell i get lazy, yes i know. when it comes to pen and paper i follow all the grammer rules. just so everyone knows! but those who are talking about the transfer of emt and medic certifications to the civilian world just curious do you happen to know if other certifications transfer over as well such as haz-mat and airport firefighter certifications?
          Good lord man! You're killing me here.

          Yes, the certifications transfer over. You will be certified through DOD and IFSAC. I believe the only states not taking IFSAC now are florida and california. I could be wrong though. Maybe someone from those states could chime in.

          EMT will be certified through the national standard.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by MFD1040 View Post
            ok just so everyone knows i do know proper grammer, when i get on the computer and cell i get lazy, yes i know. when it comes to pen and paper i follow all the grammer rules. just so everyone knows! but those who are talking about the transfer of emt and medic certifications to the civilian world just curious do you happen to know if other certifications transfer over as well such as haz-mat and airport firefighter certifications?
            Too bad you can't spell "grammer" correctly.
            "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by SPFD7 View Post
              Trust me, I went to 8 different recruiters and called an additional 4 more telling them exactly what I want and I'm willing to wait for a job slot, they don't do it anymore. If you can find me a recruiter who will get me Fire Protection guaranteed please give me his/her number.
              Are you the same meathead that was posting his sob story and asking for advice in the Military/Federal FF threads a few months back, about not getting a guaranteed M.O. and went to multiple recruiters specifically after myself and one or two other guys told you NOT to and even gave you instructions on how to obtain the guarantee?
              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                Are you the same meathead that was posting his sob story and asking for advice in the Military/Federal FF threads a few months back, about not getting a guaranteed M.O. and went to multiple recruiters specifically after myself and one or two other guys told you NOT to and even gave you instructions on how to obtain the guarantee?
                Funny you should mention that FWDbuff, I used the search bar to find threads about Air Force FF, etc. and found that thread. To answer your question, god no that wasn't me. Same situation, different kid. I just started posting here on firehouse a month or so back, have had an account for quite some time though.

                Comment


                • #23
                  MFD-

                  I've given this to several young candidates, and it seems to be helpful:



                  I believe military service is completely commendable and useful in many ways, but I don't agree with everyone telling you to join up. There are excellent benefits to service, and it will help you in the application process one day, but it absolutely will not guarantee you a job on any department.

                  If you have the desire to be in the military, then go for it...but don't go as a "stepping stone" to the fire service...Just go straight to the fire service.

                  Best,

                  Paul C.
                  PaulC
                  FF/EMTP
                  City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
                  gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by PaulC. View Post
                    MFD-

                    I've given this to several young candidates, and it seems to be helpful:



                    I believe military service is completely commendable and useful in many ways, but I don't agree with everyone telling you to join up. There are excellent benefits to service, and it will help you in the application process one day, but it absolutely will not guarantee you a job on any department.

                    If you have the desire to be in the military, then go for it...but don't go as a "stepping stone" to the fire service...Just go straight to the fire service.

                    Best,

                    Paul C.
                    It may not guarantee you a job, but if you are a white male, competing for a position in a civil service jurisdiction which has mandated minority hiring regulations, or offers Veterans Points on your score, it is crucial.
                    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      SPFD7,

                      Please don't go running around freaking out about which branches guarantee what, etc. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the other services, and the last thing we need is some poor kid to read this and regurgitate your boot nonsense.

                      Paul C,

                      As far as the military advice goes that's the soundest I've heard on these forums. Too often I see people deciding or contemplating enlistments for all the wrong reasons.
                      It's not the years honey, it's the mileage.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by PaulC. View Post
                        MFD-

                        I've given this to several young candidates, and it seems to be helpful:



                        I believe military service is completely commendable and useful in many ways, but I don't agree with everyone telling you to join up. There are excellent benefits to service, and it will help you in the application process one day, but it absolutely will not guarantee you a job on any department.

                        If you have the desire to be in the military, then go for it...but don't go as a "stepping stone" to the fire service...Just go straight to the fire service.

                        Best,

                        Paul C.

                        thank you for the info

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Mugs87 View Post
                          SPFD7,

                          Please don't go running around freaking out about which branches guarantee what, etc. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the other services, and the last thing we need is some poor kid to read this and regurgitate your boot nonsense.
                          Please inform me on where I was wrong.

                          Thank you

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Christ,

                            One example: Marine Corps Reserve. You enlist under the pretense you are going to a preassigned reserve unit at a preassigned location to fill a certain billet/MOS/ opening. Therefore on your contract you must enlist and sign to the specific MOS you are to perform at that reserve station.

                            So, if you enlist infantry in the Marines (active duty) you enlist under the UH open. Which means that you go to the school of infantry and get placed your specific MOS depending upon individual performance (i.e Machinegunner, Rifleman, Mortarman, etc) Now, prior to me switching my contract from Reserve to AD I enlisted as an 0311 (rifleman) because that was determined by the reserve stations needs. (And so it goes for every other reserve unit)

                            Hope I cleared things up.
                            It's not the years honey, it's the mileage.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I thought we along with the original poster were talking about strictly enlisted as active duty, I didn't know reserves was even a topic of discussion.

                              Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X