Fresh out of High School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh out of High School

Last edited by MFD1040; 01-03-2016, 02:37 PM.

Welcome

Sounds like you know what is required in your area to apply

Get certs neded then start applying and keep applying till you get hired
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Get some experience, get some certifications, and most important get mature. there are plenty of guys I work with at the private ambulance company that are 18 and 2 months out of basic school and act like they've "been there and done that" or just want to do everything in as short amount of time they can.
      Firefighter, EMT-P, CICP, EMSI, HazMat Tech

Comment

Last edited by MFD1040; 01-03-2016, 02:39 PM.

Comment

If fire is really what you want to do, at your age the best thing would be to go join the military. You're only 18 and at that age regardless of the "unforseen circumstances" that you mentioned, most departments are still going to see you as just a kid and probably pass you over for someone with more life experience. Maturity is great, but life experience tends to come with age. It sounds like you've got your head on straight which is good, but going military maybe navy or airforce would give you a definitive edge once you get out and start testing. After that use the G.I. bill for college and you'll be well on your way. Best of luck.

Comment

The military sounds like a good idea but why don't you get your EMT like you said and get some box time. If fire is what you know and what you love so far, you should go for it. Get your EMT, get some box time while achieving all the fire certs. you can. This puts you in a prime position to go to medic school and be a big asset to any department. I don't buy the whole "life experience", I've seen guys I started with when I was 19 and they were 26 and they were pretty damn incompetent. These guys are in there thirties still ****tin' bricks and they have alot of life experience. It sounds like these unforsceen circumstances may have matured you past your age. Either way it sounds like your heads on straight. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
              Get some experience, get some certifications, and most important get mature. there are plenty of guys I work with at the private ambulance company that are 18 and 2 months out of basic school and act like they've "been there and done that" or just want to do everything in as short amount of time they can.
              Very true. 6-22ers. Six months but they think their 22 years in

Comment

Enlisting in the military right out of high school if you want to become a fireman when you get out is in my opinion the best option. I myself am 18, graduated HS this past June and am enlisting in the Army as a 68W - Combat Medic. I also want to become a full-time fireman when I get out after my 4 years of service.

Enlisting in the military will get you many things that will help you out. To name a few:
                -mental and physical toughness
                -free education (I strongly recommend getting your Paramedic while your in)
                -Veteran's preference points (most depts give you 5 additional points on your final score if you are a vet, these points can help you immensely)
                -experience (if you go into a related career field in the military, fire and/or ems, you will gain experience unlike anything in the real world)

There are MANY, MANY more benefits to enlisting in the military. Now I know there are some dangers of course and some cons in taking this path, but overall I feel it is the best choice for us young people to take if wanting a career in the fire service in the future.

Thanks, best of luck to you,
                John

Comment

Getting your medic in the army sounds like a good idea but just remember that the medic license doesn't carry over to the civilian world.

Comment

Joining the military is a pretty good option. Worked for me. But for god's sake, don't join the Army. Get with and AF recruiter about going in as a 3E7 or a Marine Recruiter about going in CFR.

If it was me though, and i had to do it again, i'd go to college and work my way through some co-eds.

Comment

Last edited by MFD1040; 01-03-2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Stay in school. Learn the proper way to write questions and sentences. Try to learn the proper syntax when doing this.

Cut out the cell or iphone talk. Stop using the shortcuts when "riting", sonny.

When you do graduate from the high school you are now attending, go to the military recruiting office in your area and enlist in the military.

When you return for the military, apply and get a job with a fire department that will give you all the training that you will ever need, at their cost and pay you while you are receiving it.
                        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

No disrespect, but this is a forum not a job resume.

Comment

Originally posted by nairB View Post
                            No disrespect, but this is a forum not a job resume.
                            This post makes no sense.

The fact is, these individuals posting in this tread are offering sound advice. As bad as it is to hear that one's grammar/syntax/punctuation is sub par, they are offering advice based on past experience.

The inability to take the time and self correct, what may seem to you, minor english problems in one's post speaks volumes to one's attention to detail, maturity, and understanding of their spoken tongue.

These skills transfer into the workforce in terms of run reports, public interaction, and ability to properly articulate your issues/commands/responses.

Plus, not writing the stuff correctly becomes annoying. Many on here will make mistakes in their postings, no one is perfect. But egregious errors will be called out, and you will lose credibility in your posts. Those frequenting these boards are professionals and typically an older demographic. Not your friends on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstDue52 View Post
                              Getting your medic in the army sounds like a good idea but just remember that the medic license doesn't carry over to the civilian world.
                              Yes it does. 68W AIT gets you your NREMT-Basic certification and with further schooling you could get your NREMT-Paramedic certification. Both of which transfer to the civilian world.

Originally posted by peterbound View Post
                              Joining the military is a pretty good option. Worked for me. But for god's sake, don't join the Army. Get with and AF recruiter about going in as a 3E7 or a Marine Recruiter about going in CFR.
                              The Army wasn't exactly my first choice either. But when I found out that the Air Force, Marines and Navy do not guarantee you your job prior to enlisting, neither interested me anymore. I did not want to get stuck doing something I didn't want to do and something that wouldn't transfer to the fire service. I'm not saying don't join the other branches, but if you want a specific job the Army is the only branch that will get you exactly what you want.
                              Last edited by SPFD7; 01-21-2011, 01:53 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X