Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madison Fire Department 2011

Hey everyone,

Wanted to start a thread for the 2011 hiring period for the Madison Fire Department for everyone to see how each other are doing in the process, if you got letters, if you're moving on etc.

Received my letter to take the written test on Monday, January 24th today. Everyone else?

Wes

Madison

Have not got the letter yet but found out via HR that there ar 1500 applicants and they plan to hire 45 new recruits over the next two years. with that many applicants and only hiring 45 I am not sure it is worth it for me to fly out there from Boston and to take unpaid time from work. I am still debating it though. anyone else flying in to take the test or is it mostly residents?

Comment

I am driving in from Michigan. I don't have any previous FF experience so I'm already behind the eight-ball. Oh well, gotta test to get anywhere.

Comment

Go for it! Not only is it a great job, but Madison is one seriously fun town!!! LOL
        My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
        "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
        George Mason
        Co-author of the Second Amendment
        during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
        Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Forgot to mention that HR said there is no residency preference but veterans get additional points for the exam. I am not sure how many they get. I am not a vet and have no FF experience. The only thing I got is my EMT. like someone said if you want to get on you have to test.

Comment

Originally posted by DevelopmentHell View Post
            I am driving in from Michigan. I don't have any previous FF experience so I'm already behind the eight-ball. Oh well, gotta test to get anywhere.

Do they require you to have ff experience?

Most large departments don't as they will train you to their standards. If you do it would help you in doing certain tasks.

If not, take the entrance test. Most of them is a general aptitude test. If you score high on that and you need to than you probably will take a physical agility, or as some are call cpat, and this sees if you can follow orders. Raising a 24 ft extension ladder, dragging a hose line x number of feet, a chopping type test and maybe a few others. If you are in good physical shape and can follow directions and fast enough you'll do good .

Think Postive!!

Veterans normally get a 5 point addition.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Except in Massachusetts where they go to the top of the list regarless how they do on the written exam hence why I am testing out of state.

Comment

Originally posted by bbell1977 View Post
                Except in Massachusetts where they go to the top of the list regarless how they do on the written exam hence why I am testing out of state.
                Who goes to the top in Mass?

Comment

If you lived in Mass my assumption is you would. Veterans get preference before anyone else as long as you pass the test. You have to get anything above a score of 70.

Comment

OH gotcha. Yea, I dont live there. I've been testing out of state aswell.

Comment

Hey, I'm just wondering when everyone got their test date letters? I still haven't received one, and am getting a little nervous about it.

Comment

I have not recieved a letter either but I called and they have my name on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                          Do they require you to have ff experience?

Most large departments don't as they will train you to their standards. If you do it would help you in doing certain tasks.

If not, take the entrance test. Most of them is a general aptitude test. If you score high on that and you need to than you probably will take a physical agility, or as some are call cpat, and this sees if you can follow orders. Raising a 24 ft extension ladder, dragging a hose line x number of feet, a chopping type test and maybe a few others. If you are in good physical shape and can follow directions and fast enough you'll do good .

Think Postive!!

Veterans normally get a 5 point addition.

Captain, they do not require any past FF experience. Just general aptitude.

Comment

i got a letter from Madison and so did about 6 other people that i know. We are all testing in the morning of the 24th. not a far drive for us only about an hour.

Comment

there is a packet on their website that has a sample of the test qeustions and the physical test.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X