Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago area ambulance services

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chicago area ambulance services

    I am currently finishing my EMT certification and my national cert. in Arizona however, looking to move back to Chicgao. I am looking to work either part time or full time with a company such as Superior, Med Ex or Advance. Any information regarding these employers would be greatly appreaciated i.e. call types, advancement, benefits, wages ect.

  • #2
    Originally posted by chiguy60630 View Post
    I am currently finishing my EMT certification and my national cert. in Arizona however, looking to move back to Chicgao. I am looking to work either part time or full time with a company such as Superior, Med Ex or Advance. Any information regarding these employers would be greatly appreaciated i.e. call types, advancement, benefits, wages ect.
    Have you tried looking these companies up by Googling them to see what they offer, type of calls, I am sure they run everything, wages and etc.?? Also you can see where they are located in and around the city.

    Chicago FD runs the ambulances and one has to be hired by them.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

    Comment


    • #3
      Chicago as well as MANY of the suburbs have private ambulance companies that mostly provide non-emergency transports for nursing homes and hospitals. However, they also have ALS units that are on a contractual basis with nursing homes and other facilities to respond to emergencies. Chicago even uses these at times when they are back logged on calls.
      Competition for these companies is not strong and they will usually hire anyone with an EMT license. Unfortunatley, this means that pay is not very good, turnover is very high, and moral and work ethic can be very low. But you will get good patient contact with this job and theres probably not a better way to get your foot in the door.
      All in all, I would recommend contacting Superior. They usually have the highest starting pay and have rigs spread out all over the place. When, you are ready to move, I would contact the manager of the company or HR head and schedule at interview for as soon as you get into town. I'm sure they will oblige.
      You can also try Med-EX, Advance, Trace, or Kurtz Ambulance.

      Comment


      • #4
        yes the majority of our calls are hospital to nursing home, hospital to hospital etc. etc. lots of patient contact. we do get some emergency calls, or act as first responders if one of the NH we have a contract with calls and your BLS rig is the closest or if all the ALS rigs are occupied. Lots of psych calls too. Superior is what i believe to be the biggest, and from what I have heard from others one of the better run companies.

        starting pay for superior is $9.00/hr so i hope you dont have a family to support. You also get $5 bonus on every call you run if your paperwork is properly filled out. On a regular day you usually run between 4-6 calls. OT is plentiful so you can usually work as much as you want. They are pretty up and down about that, some months you can work everyday if you please, others youll get denied on a lot of OT, it all depends on who else is trying to get that OT.

        As for hiring, to my knowledge they are always hiring. Contact HR Im blanking on the ladies name but if I think of it I will come edit this. She is a very nice lady.

        I also recently heard that ACT, which does all critical care transports, hires EMT-B's to drive and starts at 12-14$/hr. not sure if that is true, but it is what i heard.

        All in all people will say working for a private sucks, honestly I have zero problem with it until I get to my end goal, it does pay my bills, and I work with people that have become my friends. It also helped me get into paramedic school, because there was a six month requirement of working on an ambulance. Do you plan on going to medic school?

        Any other questions just let me know.

        Comment


        • #5
          Does anyone know what the private companies pay medics to start? I just moved to the Rockford area and was looking into superior, osf, or ats.
          Thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sTages19 View Post
            yes the majority of our calls are hospital to nursing home, hospital to hospital etc. etc. lots of patient contact. we do get some emergency calls, or act as first responders if one of the NH we have a contract with calls and your BLS rig is the closest or if all the ALS rigs are occupied. Lots of psych calls too. Superior is what i believe to be the biggest, and from what I have heard from others one of the better run companies.

            starting pay for superior is $9.00/hr so i hope you dont have a family to support. You also get $5 bonus on every call you run if your paperwork is properly filled out. On a regular day you usually run between 4-6 calls. OT is plentiful so you can usually work as much as you want. They are pretty up and down about that, some months you can work everyday if you please, others youll get denied on a lot of OT, it all depends on who else is trying to get that OT.

            As for hiring, to my knowledge they are always hiring. Contact HR Im blanking on the ladies name but if I think of it I will come edit this. She is a very nice lady.

            I also recently heard that ACT, which does all critical care transports, hires EMT-B's to drive and starts at 12-14$/hr. not sure if that is true, but it is what i heard.

            All in all people will say working for a private sucks, honestly I have zero problem with it until I get to my end goal, it does pay my bills, and I work with people that have become my friends. It also helped me get into paramedic school, because there was a six month requirement of working on an ambulance. Do you plan on going to medic school?

            Any other questions just let me know.

            Thank you for your response! You answered a lot of what I have been wondering. I am currently in Arizona where ambulance service is strictly private other than the City of Phoenix which is taken care of by the fire department.

            I have been out of Chicago for about 5 years so I have lost a few contacts who had been employed by Chicago area ambulance companies. Would you be able to recommend any medic schools in or around the city? I have already looked into Malcolm X and Loyola.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GLMEDIC View Post
              Does anyone know what the private companies pay medics to start? I just moved to the Rockford area and was looking into superior, osf, or ats.
              Thanks
              not quite sure what superior starts its medics at, i wanna guess 12$-ish? but if you are looking at superior we back up 911 in rockford so you may get some more stuff out that way on the private side.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chiguy60630 View Post
                Thank you for your response! You answered a lot of what I have been wondering. I am currently in Arizona where ambulance service is strictly private other than the City of Phoenix which is taken care of by the fire department.

                I have been out of Chicago for about 5 years so I have lost a few contacts who had been employed by Chicago area ambulance companies. Would you be able to recommend any medic schools in or around the city? I have already looked into Malcolm X and Loyola.
                I do not know much about malcolm x but I hear its a good program and you do your ride time with CFD, which is cool lol. as far as loyola they just started a class in january. from what i hear they are the best around, they also are supposed to be one of the hardest around because they test you for your national, so when youre done you can challenge the national registry instead of just the state. but since they just started they wont start again until next january.

                CDH starts in august, i believe, you can look into that one, i think its supposedly an up and coming program. know some people in it, they like the teacher.

                Good Sam is a good hospital but i dont know much about their program, other than the 2 guys i know that graduated from there had nothing negative to say about it.

                I think christ has a medic course, its supposed to be hard.

                St. Francis also offers one, i know nothing about that program.

                Northwest community is another one.

                Vista is the last one I know of and they offer a full year program as well as an accelerated 5 month program, if youre up for the challenge that will pound it out, but since the 12 month programs are so time consuming i cant imagine what that would be like to get all your classroom time, clinicals, and ride time done in such a short period.

                sorry for kind of bland answers but thats all i got for ya.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hey all. What do you guys know, if anything, about Advantage Ambulance? They're based out of Schaumburg. I'm in the same boat as some people on here in that I'm moving back to Chicago (from there originally and moved a couple years ago) and I'm a medic. I've been in contact with various ambo companies there and have been doing my research and interviews and stuff for a while. They said I'd be hired (filled out all the tax forms and such) once I pass the test of their hospital medical system. Just wondering if anyone knew anything about the company at all. I'm also talking with Superior/Metro as well in addition the others I've already spoken to.

                  Comment

                  300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                  Collapse

                  Upper 300x250

                  Collapse

                  Taboola

                  Collapse

                  Leader

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X