Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice

I am in the military and currently deployed to Iraq, before i joined i was a volunteer in my town which made me realize that it would be the perfect career for me (im clearly not out for money). when i get back ill still have about a year and a half left in the army and after i plan to move back to Oregon and be a Firefighter. I was just looking for some advice on what i can do before i get out that will improve my chances of getting hired. i cant get my EMT-B until i get out but any other advice is greatly appreciated.

PTROW-

While you're deployed, try to get any Fire/Emergency Services Coursework completed in your spare time. It's not typically what I recommend first (the is: http://www.gethiredbyfire.com/?p=21), but as long as you're away in the military you can take advantage of online career related courses and work on a degree program. Once you're back, begin what I usually recommend in earnest. I would also pick up whatever downloadable materials you can get your hands on that help with mastering the testing process and begin practicing for the written/oral/physical agility portions of the testing. I'll have a free written exam prep download very soon on the blog, so just keep visiting or message me here.

Best Regards...And Good For You Serving Your Country.

Paul
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Comment

paul,

Thank you for the help, the link definately made me feel better about what i have done up until now, before i joined i went through the EMT-B course, although ill have to retake it and i know that i want to stay in the Oregon,Washington area. i kind of figured that online classes were going to have to be my course of action while im over here. is it necessary in todays world to have a fire science degree to even be looked at for employment or could i get with a volunteer department when i get back and get some certs through them while also getting some on the job experience?. Again, thank you for your advice it is extremely helpful.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X