Olympian Firefighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympian Firefighter?

Thank you in advance to those that choose to read and reply to my question, I recently stumbled across this website and I am so grateful for the wealth of information available.

I thought I would start off with a small introduction in order to fully shed some light on my question at hand. I recently graduated from my university where I was fortunate enough to participate in intercollegiate athletics, and I was also able to compete in several international competitions such as the World Championships and the World University Games, while I held a top-50 world ranking in my event last year (I am an American citizen but I hold dual citizenship with another country.)
    After graduating, I have recently become torn about accomplishing my two lifelong dreams: becoming a firefighter, and participating in the next Olympic Games. I have a reasonable chance at making my country’s next Olympic Team, however I wanted to get some input on whether or not any firefighters in the field feel that it is 1) a feasible goal to attain both simultaneously, and 2) how much I should emphasize this point in my oral boards (would it be a selling point or a detractor.) Additionally, my entire life has been oriented around athletics, and while I have participated in volunteer events, Student-Athlete advisory committees, and have been honored at my school for academic as well as athletic success (holding a 3.4 GPA while helping my team win an NCAA National Championship) I feel like I would be beating a dead horse by using the same answers over and over in an interview. My first test will be in Fort Collins, Colorado and I am a bit unsure about how my dual interest might be viewed by the hiring committee. Granted, I could delay starting the testing process for departments, but I figured I might as well give them both a shot.

Sorry for sounding as though I am tooting my own horn, but it is a sincere question regarding the two biggest passions in my life. Thank you again for your input.

Athlete-

The goals for the olympics are great and worthwhile. I think that you've got enough to talk about with your NCAA experience. I don't think i'd highlight it for your oral board. You'd be better off in terms of a fire career getting the job first and then handling the olympic logistics. Right now departments don't want to think at all about firefighters who might be taking long periods of time off for other pursuits. This doesn't mean its undoable, but it makes it less a positive to bring up. You might want to (very quietly) see if departments you're testing for allow "trades" once you're off probation. My department uses these and it allows firefighters to work for each other and get larger blocks of time off for other pursuits.

Best of luck...and go get all of it.

Paul
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Comment

Olympics

I come from a Department that had a couple of Olympians. They were in the Olympics before and during their employment with us. The Department work with them in their pursuits for the medals. Good luck in your persuit of your dream job.
      Respectfully,
      Jay Dudley
      Retired Fire
      Background Investigator
      IACOJ-Member
      Lifetime Member CSFA
      IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse