Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you become a career fire fighter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DennisTheMenace
    replied
    Originally posted by mr.herps View Post
    Thank you. The last time I asked a Career person they said go on my county website but when I did it was a application paper.

Sad part is I asked the Career school in PG and the guy said He didn't know what to do. Like I was shocked but I guess I'll just find a career department to help me out . So I can ask them if I could apply ?.
    Most of the DC area departments allow you to register your interest on their websites. When the application process opens they will email you. Check out PG, Montgomery, Howard, Arlington, Fairfax, and/or Alexandria.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Originally posted by Tghockey11 View Post
    You do not apply directly through the career departments you go through civil service. They hire for most if not all districts. That is how it is in NY anyway
    He is in Maryland. You fill out an application for the department you wish to be hired by.

Several departments is Maryland and Virginia were taking applications. There may be some still taking them or will begin after the New Year.

You are going to have to do the work to find out as guys who want jobs too aren't going to be any help to you. They want a job too.

Have you made any effort to look at the threads within these forums to see who are taking applications.

You have to fill out an application first before you can go forward.

BTW just how old are you???

Hey look at this kid:

http://www.marylandfirefighters.com/jobs.htm

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118255

You are on your own now.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 12-31-2010, 11:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tghockey11
    replied
    Thank you. The last time I asked a Career person they said go on my county website but when I did it was a application paper.

Sad part is I asked the Career school in PG and the guy said He didn't know what to do. Like I was shocked but I guess I'll just find a career department to help me out . So I can ask them if I could apply ?.
    You do not apply directly through the career departments you go through civil service. They hire for most if not all districts. That is how it is in NY anyway

Leave a comment:

• mr.herps
    replied
    Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Like CaptOldTimer said, you have to apply to get the job. So apply. There are departments out there that do give a little weight in the process for volunteering. Other departments don't care. Can't hurt, but might not help that much. The key is to get yourself in shape mentally and physically and get those applications in!

Leave a comment:

• mr.herps
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Website? I told you in my frist reply how but, let me lead you by the hand and you Do a Google search on the City and or County FD in which you would like to work. They may be or maybe not be taling applications at this time.

Also look in these hiring forums and they are several that are seeking applicants.

You want the job, you have to do more than ask. Look for them.

You aren't asking the right ones.
    So just go to my local Career fire departments and ask for an application basically?. I'm sorry I just want to get into this and is why i'm asking for help.

Leave a comment:

• Lucky2
    replied
    You know any good websites for the that?Some times I ask a career guy and they don't know what to do .
    What? I can't tell if you're joking, don't want to do the work, or honestly just can't figure it out. Either way, here ya go.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/careers.html

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    You know any good websites for the that?Some times I ask a career guy and they don't know what to do .
    Website? I told you in my frist reply how but, let me lead you by the hand and you Do a Google search on the City and or County FD in which you would like to work. They may be or maybe not be taling applications at this time.

Also look in these hiring forums and they are several that are seeking applicants.

You want the job, you have to do more than ask. Look for them.

You aren't asking the right ones.

Leave a comment:

• mr.herps
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I wanna? Plz?

Apply at any career fire department that you may be qualified to apply for. That would be minimum and maximum age criteria, high school graduate, clean police background, good work history, clean credit rating, citizen of good character, good physical shape, able to endure stress and hard work.

Look at the department you see listed that may be taking applications. Look around the area you are now living or would like to live to see if any department are taking applications.

The use of the Google feature on your computer is a big help. Such as typing in Raleigh NC Fire Dept. Once that opens, look to see what if any announcements for hiring are listed.

Let you fingers do a lot of ground work for you.

By the way, they are advertising for applicants again.

Leave a comment:

• rudydc
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulC. View Post
    mr. herps-

Volunteering doesn't guarantee you anything but a pat on the back for doing something worthwhile with your free time. If you want to get into a career in the fire service, start here:

http://www.gethiredbyfire.com/?p=21

I don't know how old you are, what your background is, but I do know that if you're serious...You need to start now!

Best,

Paul
    I checked out your site and just the things I have been doing and wanting to hear!!! Thanks Paul!

Leave a comment:

• DennisTheMenace
    replied
    I wanna be a fire fighter that gets paid. Can being a volunteer help me transfer to Career?.

Plz help anything would be great !!! thanks.
    Like CaptOldTimer said, you have to apply to get the job. So apply. There are departments out there that do give a little weight in the process for volunteering. Other departments don't care. Can't hurt, but might not help that much. The key is to get yourself in shape mentally and physically and get those applications in!

Leave a comment:

• PaulC.
    replied
    mr. herps-

Volunteering doesn't guarantee you anything but a pat on the back for doing something worthwhile with your free time. If you want to get into a career in the fire service, start here:

http://www.gethiredbyfire.com/?p=21

I don't know how old you are, what your background is, but I do know that if you're serious...You need to start now!

Best,

Paul

Leave a comment:

• TNFF319
    replied
    I wanna be a fire fighter that gets paid. Can being a volunteer help me transfer to Career?.

Yes, after 5 years of volunteering you can transfer to a career dept of you choice. Also whining and using proper grammer like "plz", will allow you to get hired before the other volunteers.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied

I wanna? Plz?

Apply at any career fire department that you may be qualified to apply for. That would be minimum and maximum age criteria, high school graduate, clean police background, good work history, clean credit rating, citizen of good character, good physical shape, able to endure stress and hard work.

Look at the department you see listed that may be taking applications. Look around the area you are now living or would like to live to see if any department are taking applications.

The use of the Google feature on your computer is a big help. Such as typing in Raleigh NC Fire Dept. Once that opens, look to see what if any announcements for hiring are listed.

Let you fingers do a lot of ground work for you.

By the way, they are advertising for applicants again.

Leave a comment:

• mr.herps
    started a topic How do you become a career fire fighter??

How do you become a career fire fighter??

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X