Are you kidding me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you kidding me....

WASHINGTON – The federal agency that enforces workplace anti-discrimination laws is warning employers they could be sued if they refuse to hire blacks or Latinos because of a bad credit history or a criminal record.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission last week sued Kaplan Higher Education Corp., accusing the company of using “a selection criterion for hiring and discharge – namely, credit history information – that has had a significant disparate impact on black job applicants.”

The lawsuit is part of a stepped-up but controversial effort to eliminate “arbitrary barriers” to employment for minorities by the EEOC, which is governed by five commissioners, three appointed by President Barack Obama.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 forbids racial discrimination by employers. And since the 1970s, courts have said this includes not just blatant bias, but unjustified hiring standards that have an “adverse” or “disparate” effect on blacks and other minorities. But this aspect of discrimination law has remained subject to considerable dispute.

EEOC lawyers say background checks can wrongly exclude a large percentage of minority applicants. “Employers need to be mindful that any hiring practice be job-related and not screen out groups of people, even if it does so unintentionally,” said Debra M. Lawrence, an EEOC lawyer who filed the suit against Kaplan.

But Roger Clegg, a former Reagan administration lawyer, criticized these claims as “fundamentally misguided.”

What has the world come to??????
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

The lawsuit is part of a stepped-up but controversial effort to eliminate “arbitrary barriers” to employment for minorities by the EEOC, which is governed by five commissioners, three appointed by President Barack Obama.
    Arbitrary
    –adjective
    subject to individual will or judgment without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion: an arbitrary decision.

So an individual choses not to pay bills or is a criminal, both personal decisions, thats a discretion? No, its a fact. The liberals a doing a great job of completely eliminating any personal responsibly for ones own actions....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Gotta love it. God forbid we hurt someone's feelings.
      FF/Paramedic

Comment

Amazing, Im all for a level playing field. No one PERSON having an advantage over another. This is basically saying "we understand blacks or latinos might have a criminal record, but we dont want to hold them responsible for that." Well guess what, I could go out and do illegal things all day long but I choose not to. Maybe when each individual person is held responsible for their own actions and choices we can make some progress. Until then, there are idiot judges out there that let these kinds of injustices happen.

Comment

Interview

If I have equal candidates regardless of color or origin.......If one has a record and bad credit and the other has a clean record guess which one I'll pick and your first guess doesn't count.
          Respectfully,
          Jay Dudley
          Retired Fire
          Background Investigator
          IACOJ-Member
          Lifetime Member CSFA
          IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Soooooooo if I have bad credit history (which I don't), I could be disqualified due to the color of my skin, but not someone who is a little bit darker than me??

America

F yeah

Comment

I think the scariest thing of all is public perception, the innate trust that people place in firefighters might really start taking a nose dive knowing that these things might be 'forgiven'.

Comment

Guys- this is America. This is the name of the game. I can't tell you how many people I know who are cops and firemen who have felonies. It's all who you know now and also depends on where you live. Of course it's not right but it will never change. No one will make a stink of it and that's just the way it is.

Comment

Background

This is the scary part....it use to be that you disqualified someone for a police record or bad credit....now if you do that they can sue. Talk about screwed up......I also know that there are plenty out there who have bad credit and felonies and are firefighters. That doesn't make it right does it????
                  Respectfully,
                  Jay Dudley
                  Retired Fire
                  Background Investigator
                  IACOJ-Member
                  Lifetime Member CSFA
                  IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

I thought the entire point of background checks was because an employer didn't want a shady guy working there. But now they are pulling the minority card? Well, every American now should be a minority considering most people have been turned down due to background checks.
                    Benton Fire District Four
                    Ladder One
                    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
                    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Comment

Background

FIREguy2011....exactly. When we do our hiring that's what we look at....and those with the best scores and records will be hired regardless of skin color or gender.
                      Last edited by JayDudley; 12-29-2010, 09:31 PM.
                      Respectfully,
                      Jay Dudley
                      Retired Fire
                      Background Investigator
                      IACOJ-Member
                      Lifetime Member CSFA
                      IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

or gender.
                        Benton Fire District Four
                        Ladder One
                        First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                        Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
                        Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Comment

Better yet. Lets require that these particular judges and attorneys be required to have all medical, dental, and surgical procedures that are performed on them or their family members, be done by black or hispanic high school drop outs.

To require them to complete the proper education and training, would be against current societal odds, and therefore be a "disparate impatct" on them. Step up you shysters!

Comment

So say if a white guy has only minor infractions and gets passed over because of them he can NOT sue? If a minority has a whole list of crimes, 100k in credit card debt they never intended to pay back and gets passed over he/she can sue?

Comment

It's one thing if your trying to get hired on at 7-Eleven but we are going into peoples homes and businesses and dealing with children and elderly. You have to be able to know that who you are hiring can be trusted and relied on when it hits the fan. I don't want to have to look over my shoulder while doing overhaul wondering if my partner is pocketing jewelry.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X